Yes
130 61%
No
8 4%
Sometimes music sounds good, sometimes it doesn't
74 35%
Voters: 212.
Page 1 of 3
I remember first hearing AC/DC and Led Zeppelin at age 14 thinking, "Rock guitar playing can get no more ballsy and better than this." Then I heard Guns N' Roses at age 15 and it blew my mind. Slash's guitar playing and tone was what I had been searching for. I listened to Guns on my CD player on the way to school, at school, and on the way back from school. It was amazing, and I always listened to Appetite For Destruction all the way through.

I started playing guitar at 14, and even though I sucked it was just so much fun trying to play songs I liked, and awesome when I first played my favorite riffs. Guitar playing was so much fun for the first few years.

But about a year ago, music just doesn't make me wanna pick up the guitar, or get up and shout for joy. It doesn't give me the same visuals it used to when I would listen to songs. My friend also said, "I wish playing guitar was still as fun as when I first started." And I totally agreed with him.

I still listen to music, and continually search for new music. But it's just not as good as it used to be.

What do you guys think? Do you still get as "turned-on" listening to your favorite bands or playing guitar as you did when you first discovered music?
I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer. The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Quote by BlackIce87
I'm not gonna lie, goin' mobile looks like Sebastian Bach in the eighties.
Yes. Of course. All the time.
Quote by redneckrebel
Wow...just wow

A clapstack? My life is complete.
story of my life.... im 15 tho i got time
Quote by Godsmack_IV
Emus. Seriously, no bird should be that big.

Quote by CFH82
Long story short, I had a dream I fu**ed a horse.

Rise up
We are revolutionaries
Viva la revolución
i don' think i'll ever stop.
Gibson Les Paul Jr.
1984 Marshall JCM 800 4210
Voc AC30c2
I usually have to find new bands and new music and then I will get an amazing feeling. Or when I listen to bands that I haven't in a while. Like when i started to listen to Brand New, I got a lot of emotion out of that and they're one of my favorite bands now. So yes I do.
I just go back to old stuff when that happens........and the cycle repeats......old stuff, new stuff.....
I go through phases like this where I can't find bands that inspire. It passes though, and usually I find a heap all at the same time that kinda re-invigorate my creative mojo.
You just need to look harder. There's millions of bands out there and you can always find a new favorite thing. The newest band that I've been obsessing over is Moving Mountains .
Quote by Mecler
You just need to look harder. There's millions of bands out there and you can always find a new favorite thing. The newest band that I've been obsessing over is Moving Mountains .

I'm pretty sure those guys are from my town, they play here all the time at least.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Yeah, I've been thinking maybe I just need to expand my musical horizons.

I discovered Whitechapel, MGMT, Fleet Foxes, and Nile recently (I know, weird variety). Whitechapel is pretty amazing, but Fleet Foxes got old really fast and MGMT only has a few good songs. I'm a classic rock and 80s metal guy and I pretty much know I've found every band in those genres and burned out all the ones I like.

It's hard to find new music though.
I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer. The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Quote by BlackIce87
It sounds like you only listen to classic rock TS and that’s why music is getting boring for you. Try some Sly and the Family Stone or something.
Quote by Goin' Mobile

I discovered Whitechapel, MGMT, Fleet Foxes, and Nile recently (I know, weird variety). Whitechapel is pretty amazing, but Fleet Foxes got old really fast and MGMT only has a few good songs. I'm a classic rock and 80s metal guy and I pretty much know I've found every band in those genres and burned out all the ones I like.

If you don't listen to them already, The Fall of Troy. Go dl their albums Doppelganger and Manipulator.
MATTERHORN
Being a musician makes me "get" more complicated music that can give me amazing feelings. Protest The Hero, The Human Abstract, Between The Buried And Me..... I'd probably hate them if I didn't become a musician.
EDIT: ^lol damnit

Try some between the buried and me, protest the hero, the human abstract, or august burns red. Still hasn't gotten old to me after 2 years.
Last edited by SilentCivilian8 at Nov 12, 2009,
Every time that happens to me, I move to a new genre.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by SteveHouse
Every time that happens to me, I move to a new genre.

This is the best course of action.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
the same thing happened to me

so i moved onto rap and started making beats

then i moved onto electronica and started making beats and producing electronic music

now im getting into jazz and doing jazz comping while making beats and producing electronic music

moral of the story: you need to find a genre that gets you back into music. you dont have to just be playing guitar, get a piano or something. music is music my friend. and if you don't want to get more gear, then learn to sing. that shit is downright fun.
BASSLINES TO MAKE YOUR CHEST CAVITY SHUDDER.
Quote by Goin' Mobile

B.T.B.A.M.

Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Quote by Doctor Matthews
Sounds like you need to start listening to The Fall of Troy Between the Buried and Me.
fixered.

Pat_s1EDIT: ^ looks like I've been BTBABeaten again...

Last edited by Pat_s1t at Nov 12, 2009,
Yeah it happens more often than not. When it does happen I generally start listening to something new or something I haven't listened to in a while. Going to see your favorite bands live also helps you and makes you want to play more.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Of course it does. If your music doesn't do anything for you listen to a new genre. Something completely different.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Quote by ep1kz
the same thing happened to me

so i moved onto rap and started making beats

then i moved onto electronica and started making beats and producing electronic music

now im getting into jazz and doing jazz comping while making beats and producing electronic music

My life story is radio -> radio alternative -> punk -> hardcore and metalcore -> trance -> hard dance.

Everybody post your own, I think it's kinda interesting what jumps we make.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

all the time.

i still listen to Stairway to Heaven after not having listened to it for a long time and it just blows my mind every time.

its like that with any song, no matter how overplayed it is.

its a cycle.
I started singing a couple years ago. I've gotten better. I can sing a lot of The Doors songs, and my friends say I do the best Jim Morrison scream out of anyone they know

I'm not into the hardcore/pop rock stuff. My ex-bandmates listened to Bring Me The Horizon, and I like their stuff, but I wish the singer was more "brutal" and less happy. Suicide Silence is pretty good, even if they are pretty gay.

I think it's just that there isn't a lot of GOOD music out there. Which is why deathcore and death metal seems to have become incorporated into my music. I like the technicality of the instruments, and how HEAVY they are at the same time.

EDIT: (The order of my genres from age 11 to age 19)

Classical soundtracks, 60s acid rock, classic rock, 80s metal, death metal

Quote by BlackIce87
Last edited by Goin' Mobile at Nov 12, 2009,
Quote by Doctor Matthews

Dunno why you'd suggest an inferior band...

BTBAM is more technically talented, but... just because YOU don't like it doesn't mean it's inferior.
oh yeah my musical transition has been like this:

Alternative/Punk ---> Classic Rock/Metal/Guitar-oriented music

so yeah....nothing big there.
Quote by SilentCivilian8
EDIT: ^lol damnit

Try some between the buried and me, protest the hero, the human abstract, or august burns red. Still hasn't gotten old to me after 2 years.

august burns red was a cool novelty at first. but then you listen to the rest of the album and realize all their songs sound identical. Constellations was more diverse mind you. and the human abstract has WAY too much shitty guitar shredding
Quote by Doctor Matthews

o_0

I dislike you now >.<

BTBAM > FOT
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Try a different medium for awhile. When I lose interest in music, I don't go out of my way to find a band that inspires me, it just happens by accident. So, I'll move onto comic books, then obscure movies/television shows (Twin Peaks for the win), and then eventually something musical will catch my attention again. And when you watch and read those other things, it inspires me musically more so than listening to actual music. Currently I'm listening to a LOT of Avett Brothers and M. Ward. But because I've been watching a lot of horror movies, I've been writing more ambient music. Trying to create soundtracks for movies that don't exist, basically. One thing will influence the other.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by Doctor Matthews

If typing wsdng so hard on an iPod feel I'd type a very large pRageaph explain g why btbam is greater than of equal go (buy most liekly greater thN) any bad x you. An come up with

And just to make you suffer, I cba to fix any of those conventions!
Quote by SilentCivilian8
BTBAM is more technically talented, but... just because YOU don't like it doesn't mean it's inferior.

I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you about being more technically talented. Thomas Erak is crazy with his ability to play that complicated stuff while singing. And I'm not exactly a Fall of Troy fanboy.

However, Thomas DOES want to be Omar Rodriguez Lopez pretty badly.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
I have never gotten tired of music or playing guitar. For me, it seems that once things start becoming less exciting, I discover a new band or genre that I hadn't listened to before that opens up a whole new world of sounds I didn't even know existed. I find that I can easily pick up the guitar, start playing, and only two hours later realize for how long I have actually been playing the thing.

There is always music out there, you just have to keep looking for it.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
It stopped for a while, but tonight, that buzz has returned, as I have just listened to this album in it's entirety, and had what can only be described as a musical hour long orgasm:

I constantly find new music that absolutely blows me away. Like, in the last little while I downloaded the whole obZen album (by Meshuggah) and it gave me that "Holy ****, this is so heavy. It's amazing" vibe. And I started listening to Rodrigo y Gabriela, they absolutely blow me away.

Quote by frnzd
Quote by gamebreaker
I think semen would be our biggest export...
We'd build an industry around it.

Page 1 of 3