i've got a fernandes LE tele...

... and the neck pickup is lacking, and its a lot quieter than the sd livewire in the bridge. i'm thinking of throwing something else in there, but im not sure what. im looking for a smooth, warm sound, but also with character. ill be using slight overdrive.

think this kind of tone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDijY33j1Tc

but with a bit more drive, and more character (i want a fairly distinctive sound). I play through a Laney TF300 (first version, the UK made ones).

this guitar is used in a post-rock / emo / screamo band.

also, the current pickup is on springs, so you just push on the pickup and it enables the pick guard to slide off - will this be a problem when installing the new pickup?
Last edited by BGSM at Nov 13, 2009,
invader? really? its single coil. i love the bridge pickup, by the way. im looking for a clean sound, by the way. when i say screamo, i dont mean the gay shit everyone else things. i want a clean sound, slightly overdriven. i mean daitro, suis la lune, etc.
Quote by CL/\SH
Duncan Invaders. 'Nuff said.

im looking for a smooth, warm sound, but also with character

Does not compute.
Quote by r4ster
Does not compute.

Danger, Will Robinson!

Try the Duncan STHR1-n. It should be a good match.
Quote by BGSM
hot rails, right? high output? are they good for cleans?

I have Duncan SHR Hot Rails in both of my Strats (all three pickups) and they are first-rate for everything - cleans, chunk, high-gain. And no more single-coil noise.
SD little 59? I like regular 59's but havnt played the tele version
what kind of palm muting is best for metal?
cut off some guys hand and place it under the strings. brutal low end bro.
Quote by TheBrownPenguin
SD little 59? I like regular 59's but havnt played the tele version

I have one in the bridge of my '52 reissue Telecaster. It sounds very good. The neck pickup is stock. I haven't gotten around to changing it out yet.
Quote by BGSM
do they make a single coil neck little 59? its for the neck..

No. They make a couple of neck pickups, but not a match for the "59. The STR-3 is probably the best match.
Quote by BGSM

also, the current pickup is on springs, so you just push on the pickup and it enables the pick guard to slide off - will this be a problem when installing the new pickup?
Every other neck pickup you buy will be made to screw into the pickguard, so yes, this will be a problem. You'll probably need a new pickguard, or you could possibly drill into the existing one if the routing below is large enough.

Anyway, you say the bridge pickup is a SD Livewire, which is a very high output active pickup. You'll never get a passive singlecoil pickup that can match that output (or even a passive humbucker to match it), nor should you really be using a mix of active and passive pickups together - that's asking for trouble. What I suggest is either you actually change the bridge pickup to match the neck better then EQ your amp differently, or if you're really happy witht he bridge tone then change the neck pickup for a Seymour Duncan AS-1 active singlecoil pickup. They don't make these for Telecaster neck positions - but they do make them for Strat neck positions. You'd definitely need to have the pickguard re-cut (or possibly a new pickguard entirely plus you may even need to have the body re-routed. However, it will then match the bridge pickup in terms of output - though it won't have a ''smooth'' tone without you rolling the tone knob far back too.

Frankly though, I think you're pretty screwed. You can't really keep the active bridge pickup, have a passive neck pickup and get them to match in the one guitar, especially a guitar like a Telecaster that has a single shared set of controls. I think you need to choose what's more important to you, the output of the bridge pickup (which I dare say you probably don't need anyway, very, very few people do need the output of active pickups or even have a rig that could ever possibly make use of it) or getting an even balance in tone between the two.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
hmm, i thought this might be a problem. its probably more of a problem than its worth, might just leave it in there. thanks for your help though, very good post