Someone at work brought this guitar in today... He's not a guitarist, and I don't think he was planning on selling it, but I bought it on a whim/spur of the moment/quick google search.

How did I do? It needs to be refinished, as the Sharpie autographs need to come off. WTF, seriously?
It' s a Takamine C132S from 1977. I paid $70 for it.

How good of a deal did I get? What should I expect in terms of $$$ to get her refinished, and is it worth it?
I don't play classical, but it seemed like a good buy. Notice the two steel strings, missing d? Yeah, he didn't know anything about the guitar... Makes me feel kinda bad, but meh.
Lemme know what you think!

Link to pictures: http://img200.imageshack.us/g/img1420zk.jpg/
google search said $900 new
if you can get all the sharpie stuff off i saw one selling for $700 used probably worth more like $500
Gear
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400 White
Line 6 Flextone III+
Line 6 Spider III 120 (for sale £90)
I'm pretty sure those don't exist new anymore. I searched for a while, and it looks like they'll go for between $400-$500 in excellent condition. Still, even though this one has stuff on the outside, it probably sounds really good.

Fake edit: I know the C132S still exists new, but the new ones are very different from this one.
It looks to be in pretty nice shape, and I'd say you got it for a steal at $70 bucks. As for the marker, you may be able to get rid of it fairly easily since it's a gloss finish. It's worth a try anyhow. Where I work we use sharpies for all sorts of stuff, and I've found something that removes it. It's 3M Contact Cleaner. It's usually for cleaning contacts in switches and so on, but for whatever reason it also completely removes sharpie "permanent" ink. Try it on an inconspicuous spot like the back of the guitar to make sure it doesn't ruin the finish. It could bubble the lacquer up if applied directly to the finish. I'd spray on a soft cloth then just wipe it on a little area first. If it works, you should be able to do the whole guitar, then follow up with a nice wax and buff job to make her shine again.
However, if this doesn't work, you'll more than likely need to break down and sand away the ink, then refinish the whole guitar body. Luck to ya either way.
Last edited by LeftyDave at Nov 13, 2009,
Quote by LeftyDave
It looks to be in pretty nice shape, and I'd say you got it for a steal at $70 bucks. As for the marker, you may be able to get rid of it fairly easily since it's a gloss finish. It's worth a try anyhow. Where I work we use sharpies for all sorts of stuff, and I've found something that removes it. It's 3M Contact Cleaner. It's usually for cleaning contacts in switches and so on, but for whatever reason it also completely removes sharpie "permanent" ink. Try it on an inconspicuous spot like the back of the guitar to make sure it doesn't ruin the finish. It could bubble the lacquer up if applied directly to the finish. I'd spray on a soft cloth then just wipe it on a little area first. If it works, you should be able to do the whole guitar, then follow up with a nice wax and buff job to make her shine again.
However, if this doesn't work, you'll more than likely need to break down and sand away the ink, then refinish the whole guitar body. Luck to ya either way.

Sounds good, that's exactly the kind of advice I was looking for.

Glad I got a good deal on it. I originally wasn't too interested in buying it, but it sounded good (of the strings that were nylon/actually there... ) so I took a bit more note. I figured at that cost, couldn't really go wrong for a genuine Takamine (Ran the serial, of course...)

The rosewood on the fingerboard is looking a little dry (not cracking/too bad, but needs some life put back in it. Is it worth lemon oiling it at this point? I've never tried to bring a guitar "back," so to speak. I'd rather do nothing than make it worse thinking I'm fixing it...

So assuming the Contact Cleaner gets that all off, then she get's a nice buff, how much is it worth, roughly? Any ideas?
Sounds like a great deal.

To get Sharpie off, use Isoproyl (rubbing) Alcohol, like you get at the drug store. It won't hurt the finish. That and some elbow grease should do it. The 3M contact cleaner may be too strong and damage the finish.

The only thing I would be concerned with is how long the Sharpie has been on there. You may have lighter shadows underneath the marker since the rest of the guitar has aged.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
Last edited by Auriemma at Nov 13, 2009,
wow. That is a lot of sharpie on there. Why not just continue using the signing of the guitar as an advertising gimmick. If it sounds good as you say perhaps there is no harm in letting people sign it, especially if you can get some famous signatures on there. Just a thought.
From here, I'd remove all of those old strings, get yourself a new set so they're ready to put back on then have at the rest of the guitar. Contrary to popular(and highly misguided) belief, you will do no harm to the guitar to have all of the strings off at the same time. Lemon oil is ok, and there are other more specific items to use on the neck. To do a thorough job of it, get some 000 or 0000 grade steel wool. Use it to scrub the wood and frets of the fretboard with some fretboard conditioner on it. Then just wipe it dry. The conditioner will soak into the wood while the steel wool will clean off all the gunk and such, plus shine up the frets.
I would also add a drop of oil to each gear on the tuners while all the strings are off and work it in. Check the slots in the nut to make sure they are nice and clean. I use a lube on them called Big Bends Nut Sauce. Weird name I know, but the stuff is great and helps with tuning ease and stability. You can get it at Musiciansfriend. Then string her up.
Looks like you got rid of most of the marker. Did you use the contact cleaner along with the magic eraser?
Quote by LeftyDave
From here, I'd remove all of those old strings, get yourself a new set so they're ready to put back on then have at the rest of the guitar. Contrary to popular(and highly misguided) belief, you will do no harm to the guitar to have all of the strings off at the same time. Lemon oil is ok, and there are other more specific items to use on the neck. To do a thorough job of it, get some 000 or 0000 grade steel wool. Use it to scrub the wood and frets of the fretboard with some fretboard conditioner on it. Then just wipe it dry. The conditioner will soak into the wood while the steel wool will clean off all the gunk and such, plus shine up the frets.
I would also add a drop of oil to each gear on the tuners while all the strings are off and work it in. Check the slots in the nut to make sure they are nice and clean. I use a lube on them called Big Bends Nut Sauce. Weird name I know, but the stuff is great and helps with tuning ease and stability. You can get it at Musiciansfriend. Then string her up.
Looks like you got rid of most of the marker. Did you use the contact cleaner along with the magic eraser?

It was actually just a wet Magic Eraser. Worked really well, I was impressed. This weekend, I'll restring it.

Quote by Billy Memphis
don't put anything on your fretboard.

So... Contradictory advice? The fretboard is certainly dried out. IT's not cracking or splitting or anything, but it's at the point where I would have oiled it a long time ago if it were me... I have a bottle of Dunlop Lemon Oil, that when I used on my Strat, was great... thoughts?
Any fretboard conditioner will do (everyone has a favorite).

I do have minor note with using 0000 steel wool on the neck:

- When cleaning the fretboard with steel wool, go WITH the grain on the wood.

- Wipe clean with a damp cloth, then wipe dry.

- Afterwards polish the frets, but use a fret saver (protects the fretboard since you are polishing AGAINST the grain) or tape off the fretboard.

- Wipe clean with a damp cloth, then wipe dry.

- Then apply a coating of fretboard conditioner (DO NOT FLOOD IT)

- Let it soak in, then wipe dry with a clean flannel cloth
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
Quote by Billy Memphis
don't put anything on your fretboard.

wtf??

take the strings off and let the lemmon oil soak in for a few hours it will really bring the neck back to life. then get a new cloth and rug the oil out and it will still feel a bit moist but it will absorb over time... it will sound alot better too.
make sure you use cotton cloth too.