Page 1 of 2
Pit,

I was watching Biffy Clyro last night in London and the lead singer announced "We are Biffy Clyro and this is our last song, you've been great". Now everyone knew that they hadn't played their best song and they were going to come back on for an encore.

Surely a band should play their full set, then if the crowd demand an encore they should play something spontaneous rather than having something planned for the encore.

I know there are few bands that don't play encores, like System Of A Down, they just played their set and walked off, and then you have the other extreme that will play 6 encores like Metallica.

I think it would be cool for a band to play their set, then if an encore was demanded then they should take a request from the crowd. What do you think? But now days an encore is almost 99% expected regardless of the bands performance and so the crowd won't go home until the rodies dismantle the bands gear!
Signed.
Last edited by Metallicaloveu at Nov 13, 2009,
It's hard for a band to perform a song spontaneously, because they might not be practiced up on it, they might not have the right soundboard mix with them, etc.

Edit: This reminds me of the last time I saw DF (shut up before you even start). It was right before the last song, TTFAF, and the singer was like "This'll be the last one for the night? WHAT DO YOU WANT TO HEAR?!" and some guy shouts "Body Breakdown!" and the singer is like "Haha, we dont know how to play that one".
PM me for newts
Last edited by StewieSwan at Nov 13, 2009,
Quote by StewieSwan
It's hard for a band to perform a song spontaneously, because they might not be practiced up on it, they might not have the right soundboard mix with them, etc.

Many bands don't even decide what the setlist will be until the night.
I think the best way to handle an encore is for a band to not play the one song they know the crowd will demand to hear. It basically forces the crowd to demand an encore.

Cheap? Maybe. Effective? HELL YES.

EDIT: Also, it practically guarantees the song played as an encore isn't something lame or under-rehearsed.
Quote by Jesus_Dean
There's bound to be a drummer here that can help you, otherwise check YouTube for tutorial vids.
Quote by yoduh4077
MY TIME HAS COME.
Quote by Jesus_Dean
^^^See! Told ya so!
Last edited by yoduh4077 at Nov 13, 2009,
Take a request from the crowd? What do you want them to do, ask for a show of hands while they list their entire catalog, or just play the first thing some douche in the crowd yells out? We would see a lot of versions of "Freebird," my friend.

And play something spontaneously? The encore is the last thing the band plays. Do you think they want to leave you with something rehearsed, tight, and well-planned, or something loose, half-assed, and stumbling?
Quote by Metallicaloveu

I think it would be cool for a band to play their set, then if an encore was demanded then they should take a request from the crowd.

When people pay over $50 for a ticket, they will always demand an encore (regardless of how well the band is playing that day) It would also take 30 mins for them to decipher what a single member of the crowd is saying as you would never get people to stop shouting song names.
“Its not easy being a man you know. I had to get dressed today… and there are other pressures.”
-Dylan Moran
Yes, they should play an encore. The atmosphere explodes when the band comes back out and then everyone goes mental for one last time.

Plus, you get your moneys worth!
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunatly, it kills all of its pupils.
As much as I like Biffy Clyro, I don't think they are a band known for their crazy improv skills. Plus it leaves you on a high if you end with the song that everyone knows and sings along to and all that, rather than twenty minutes of guitar solo.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
i remember when i went to see NFG they opened with Understatement crowd went bannana's that song ended crowd chanted dressed to kill and they blew right into it.

they even went there might be mistakes but **** it you guys are a great crowd.But when they played all downhill from here and blasted the intro from catalyst out of nowhere i was in that pit as quick as i heard the first chord.

they even imrpoved Paradise city which was ****ing legendary.Was like 2 days after chinese democracy aswell.

its great when a bands like that.But Biffy are excellent live they only did a 1 song encore when i seen them and i cant even remember what it was now
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
Quote by Qotsa_love
When people pay over $50 for a ticket, they will always demand an encore (regardless of how well the band is playing that day) It would also take 30 mins for them to decipher what a single member of the crowd is saying as you would never get people to stop shouting song names.

I stay away from bands that charge that much. The only band I would consider paying much for is The Mars Volta or an At The Drive-In reunion show.
Otherwise, no.

Encores? Never. The last song should possibly be one of the strongest, no doubt. But encores are trivial and unnecessary.
Quote by huevos
I stay away from bands that charge that much. The only band I would consider paying much for is The Mars Volta or an At The Drive-In reunion show.
Otherwise, no.

Encores? Never. The last song should possibly be one of the strongest, no doubt. But encores are trivial and unnecessary.

i would sell my soul and my sanity for an ATDI reunion and im not joking and i would gladly do the same for the smiths
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
I saw Mastodon in April or so, and they didn't play Blood and Thunder OR Colony of Birchmen. When they left the stage I expected them to come back out and play one of the two or both...but they never came back. Not saying I was disappointed, I'm just surprised they didn't play those songs. They really handled their set well though. Pros, those guys.

Quote by maroon5mustdie
And play something spontaneously? The encore is the last thing the band plays. Do you think they want to leave you with something rehearsed, tight, and well-planned, or something loose, half-assed, and stumbling?

If the band is made up of skilled musicians, then an improv encore would be tight, as well as unique and amazing.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Last edited by Spoony_Bard at Nov 13, 2009,
Well when i went to see Linkin Park like 2 years ago it was clear that they planned the encore. Don't get me wrong it was a great performance but one of the encores was What I've Done and since it was the Minutes to Midnight tour and that was the first single, it had to be played sooner or later.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by huevos
Otherwise, no.

Same
and the mars volta never play encores
I guess they figure their setlist is so perfect it would be completely unnecessary :P

Haven't encores kind of bypassed their time? Why don't musicians just stay out on stage?

Basically how I feel about encores, as well.

Surviving the World ftw, btw.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Radiohead do it quite well. THey have a main set and just make a new one up afterwards for the 3 encores. GOod fun.
Quote by andrew2xtreme
i agree with encores unless they are planned

This is exactly my point, all encores these days are planned. The crowd could have gone home and the band will still come out and play their hit song.

It seems like some bands are making the encore set as they go off after the main set. This is how it should be done.

I saw Staind recently and they played an amazing encore, just Aaron Lewis playing ACOUSTICALLY to a crowd he brought to perfect silence.
Signed.
Last edited by Metallicaloveu at Nov 13, 2009,
I don't agree with encores for political and moral reasons.
you played us

as both a cancer and a cure
Squier Tele Custom
Laney TF300
Quote by Metallicaloveu
Pit,

I was watching Biffy Clyro last night in London and the lead singer announced "We are Biffy Clyro and this is our last song, you've been great". Now everyone knew that they hadn't played their best song and they were going to come back on for an encore.

Surely a band should play their full set, then if the crowd demand an encore they should play something spontaneous rather than having something planned for the encore.

I know there are few bands that don't play encores, like System Of A Down, they just played their set and walked off, and then you have the other extreme that will play 6 encores like Metallica.

I think it would be cool for a band to play their set, then if an encore was demanded then they should take a request from the crowd. What do you think? But now days an encore is almost 99% expected regardless of the bands performance and so the crowd won't go home until the rodies dismantle the bands gear!

Ya, that sounds kinda gay of them to do. An encore shouldn't be planned by a band. A band should give their all in a show, and then if the crowd wants to hear more because they want to (and not because they feel like they're getting jipped) then they should play more.

I think if a band is good enough and can drive a crowd crazy enough to want an encore, then they should do it. But if they do it on purpose like Biffy Clyro did then they're just assholes.
Quote by Mudmen190
If loving ham makes me gay, I'm Rob Halford.

Quote by musiclover2399
MyNameIsLame just nailed it (actually both his statements did some nailing).

Quote by Oroborous
This is honestly the best first post I've ever seen

^^ Directed at me. E-peen wankery sigs ftw.

My Last.FM
i say the band walks out of the place they are playing and do their encore OUTSIDE, to mix it up a bit. someones probably done it but i thought it up myself if someone has
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Saw Dylan Moran the other night, he done pretty much a full show and talked to the audience and such, and still came back on for more, seeing as no one was leaving, although i guess its different for comedians, as he done one or two routines, then was out of there for good.

So i think if performers don't milk it, its good.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Oh well, it's a good way to get the crowd pumped for a show.

Think of it as the "crowd grooming for the final final song" stage of the show.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Every band I've seen that has an encore is planned. There pretty much is no such thing as a non-planned one.
Encores are great, planned or not. COB didn't do one recently, even though I was expecting it. So there you go, that was sort of spontaneous. But Gojira came out and did 2 more songs after I thought they ran out of kick ass songs to play. Then I remembered that it was Gojira, and it was impossible for them to run out of kick ass songs to play
When I saw Mr. Big they played 2 encores. The first time they came back and played Colorado Bulldog and the second they came back and switched instruments. Paul Gilbert went to play drums, Eric Martin on Guitar, Pat Torpey on Bass and Billy Sheehan singing. They did Smoke on the Water. It was unexpected and a lot of fun.
Quote by Spoony_Bard
I saw Mastodon in April or so, and they didn't play Blood and Thunder OR Colony of Birchmen. When they left the stage I expected them to come back out and play one of the two or both...but they never came back. Not saying I was disappointed, I'm just surprised they didn't play those songs. They really handled their set well though. Pros, those guys.

If the band is made up of skilled musicians, then an improv encore would be tight, as well as unique and amazing.

This. See 'frank zappa' for more info ;]
Bruce Springsteen.

Nobody can touch this man when it comes to this. He is a living jukebox. He plays like... 150-200 different songs on a tour.

Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Last edited by Demon Wolf at Nov 14, 2009,
It all depends on the band and the audience.
Some bands have built up traditions over the years of playing certain songs for encores, that if they don't play, the audience feels somehow cheated.
Some bands attract an audience that'll appreciate something a little more 'spur of the moment'.
Some bands are downright rude and refuse to play encores. Those bands don't even deserve an audience.

I think the main thing is, if you get an encore (it just looks too cheesy if you go back on to play an encore that no one's asking for) to play something that your audience will appreciate, after all, these people are paying your wages and they are the reason that you are able to play gigs.
I've only enjoyed one encore, and that was with John Nolan. Basically, their set was up, but Straylight Run was the last band and the place was still open and the sound guy was cool with letting them play more. He asked us what we wanted to hear and we told him (he refused some songs because he just doesn't know how to play them). We got two acoustic songs and then the PA went out.. sort of.. All that worked was his piano and a mic, so we needed to be creative. He figured out the chords to With God On Our Side, but nobody in the crowd knew enough words to help him along (if you know anything about the song, it is wordy, "Thanks Bob Dylan, I'll never remember the words...") So we thought... Piano song he hasn't played... And then he played The Perfect Ending, which was just so coincidental and amazing.

sigh.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Maybe it's not the best thing in the world to do a planned encore, but so many bands do it that audiences do feel disappointed if they don't get one.

It's not like it's harming anyone, really
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by duncang
Maybe it's not the best thing in the world to do a planned encore, but so many bands do it that audiences do feel disappointed if they don't get one.

It's not like it's harming anyone, really

I just feel that a planned encore isn't an encore, it is just part of the set.
Now say his name.....
Well, the reason it's planned is because it's expected. Kiss would never play their whole set and go offstage thinking 'Naww, they're not gonna cheer for us tonight'; pretty much any band who's headlining a venue that fits more than 300 people is gonna get cheered for an encore so it's worth planning one.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by lordofthefood1
I just feel that a planned encore isn't an encore, it is just part of the set.

An encore is part of the set. It's a part of the whole package, the night's entertainment, what you're getting paid for.
It really is not a good idea to do a completely unrehearsed encore that runs the risk of being an anti climax to the rest of the gig. Always leave 'em wanting more, never leave 'em thinking 'Damn, I shoulda got outta here 10 minutes ago to beat the rush.'
I guess. I just find the wait for the band to be kind of pointless. The wait just kills any energy for me, I'm not one to beg, so maybe that has something to deal with it? This thread would be lovely with a poll (perhaps, "yes" "no" and "only spur of the moment ones")
Now say his name.....
The Who did an encore about 45mins in perth, it was just about all of Tommy. Then they sort of went back and couldn't make up their minds, and did some sort of 2nd encore, which was more spontaneous, some acoustic stuff, that was perfect. Iron Maiden did an encore after they'd already played their best stuff, and it wasn't so good, they only had Hallowed be thy name left to play really.
Quote by andrew2xtreme
i agree with encores unless they are planned

90% of the time they are planned though. Its very rare that a band will finish their set completely and come back on stage because the crowd is begging for it. Probably because usually when a band finishes their set its right on the limit of the sound restrictions in place at the venue.

Encores are useful to bands because they give them a couple minutes to recouparate - after playing for 1hr+ solid you're going to be pretty knackered if you put effort into the show.
Page 1 of 2