Is it true that you have to support the neck and body of the guitar to get it to the sort of the 45 degree angle I have seen many guitar players position their electric guitar when playing because I thought before that my guitar wouldn't stay in that angled position because i had a slippery strap or maybe my guitar's neck is heavy.

My guitar is at a 180 degree angle when i"m not touching it and letting it hang from my shoulders. Is this normal and should I be the one to put it in the desired angle?
Yes, this is normal. Some guitar do this, I suppose, like mine!
Gear:
ESP LTD EC-401FM STB
Ibanez AR307
Bugera Infinium 333XL
London City Bulldog
Line 6 Pod HD 300
Digitech Digiverb
Wishlist:
Pedalboard
i'm sorry but no.. thats freaky.. it freaks me out more than paranormal activity.

it should technically be flat with the neck parallel to the ground...
dude it dosnt matter how the guitar is when ur not supporting it. just hold the danm neck and play lol
Quote by Fridge101
dude it dosnt matter how the guitar is when ur not supporting it. just hold the danm neck and play lol

+1
Quote by Fridge101

Another +1 = +2
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Fridge101
dude it dosnt matter how the guitar is when ur not supporting it.
just hold the danm neck and play lol

dont really agree with that.. if the neck is pointing directly to the ground than you'll need to make an effort to hold it in the position you want.. i'd imagine you'd lose a lot of dexterity on your fretting hand coz you have the added pressure of holding it up..
I, myself, have always been a proponent of "If it doesn't feel right, you're doing it wrong!"

In my own personal experience, my guitar is generally at a 45 degree angle regardless of whether I'm holding it or not. I've actually met people who play better when they have it at the 180 degrees that yours is, however I can't really understand -how- they manage to play up higher so easily like that.

I, myself, would recommend that you should find a way to keep your guitar at a 45 degree angle without holding it, out of my own experience playing, but it really has to do with what's most comfortable and efficient. As others have said "can you play it still"? If you can, good on you. It might be how it'll work for you, but who knows. Experiment a little, find what's most comfortable for you to play with regardless of where you are on the neck.

...Yeah.