Hey all , sorry me again with yet more questions! Its so good asking this community as the knowledge is amazing!

With a volume pedal , where in the effects chain would it go? Its right at the end yeah?
Sorry for the noobish question :P

Cheers!
I'd put it at the end or right at the start or possibly
even in the effects loop. Just experiment and see what gets you the effect you're looking for
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

The effects loop or towards the end is probably best. I always kept mine before my delays too
i always ran mine upfront... before i took it out all together since it's such a signal murdering tone *****.

anyone got any good mods for an ernie ball VPjr for passive pickups?
I like mine at the end because I have buffering in my chain and I just want to control volume. If you put it in the front, like GrisKy you stand to get tone suck. That's because volume pedals short the pickups to ground through a resistor. You have a resistor in your volume knob and then another in the pedal. If you want to put it in front of distortion pedals to get gain control, then it would be best to put a buffer in front.
Quote by fly135
I like mine at the end because I have buffering in my chain and I just want to control volume. If you put it in the front, like GrisKy you stand to get tone suck. That's because volume pedals short the pickups to ground through a resistor. You have a resistor in your volume knob and then another in the pedal. If you want to put it in front of distortion pedals to get gain control, then it would be best to put a buffer in front.

so you're saying if i buffer prior to the vpjr i'll get less tone suck? that makes sense. and true, i also like that gain control as opposed to true volume control feel.

also, fly, i owe you an appology... i found the "4 cable method" in a manual. RJM's "amp gizmo" (i think it was the AG... something from RJM).
Anything that buffers the pickups from the pedal will work. A 500k volume pot is normally used in a guitar with humbuckers. A volume pedal with a 250K pot is obviously too low. Plus that pedal is in parallel with the volume control so the effective load is even worse. If all your pedals are true bypass then no matter where the volume pedal is you are going to have a problem in bypass. You would need to research what pedals make good buffers. The best might be a buffered tuner because it goes in front.

No prob with the 4CM thing. But thanx!
Quote by GrisKy
i always ran mine upfront... before i took it out all together since it's such a signal murdering tone *****.

anyone got any good mods for an ernie ball VPjr for passive pickups?

Build a buffer into it.

You could buy a Cornish LD1 or MIaudio Boost'n'buff and run it before the VP, or put it's guts into the VP (IIRC, there's lots of room in there).

GGG makes a good TL071 based buffer kit that could be built into the pedal, I have built one and it sounded great, really fantastic at 18v (just be sure to build it w/uprated caps).
I would put it last in the chain. if it is in front of say, a distortion pedal, then changing the volume pedal will result in a change in distortion rather than volume (for example, some guitarists use the volume knob on their guitar to change the ammount of distortion)
fly, it's been almost a year since i opened mine up, but now that you mention it i do think i remember it having a 250k pot. i do run a couple buffered pedals... but that had more to do with me running a shit ton of cable...

rutch, not a bad call, i'll look into that. thanks guys.

ok, done with my thread jack.