I've had my first guitar for about a year and a half and i finally decided it was time to get a new guitar. My first was a $400 (Australian. Yep thats right i'm Aussie) magnum les paul copy. im taking a big step and going to about $3000-$3500 (AU). I need suggestions because i dont want to waste a whole load of cash on a guitar that is a piece of shit. I like Gibsons but i'm not a fan of Fenders, their body shapes are just too generic and the guitars just sound tinny and thin. They also aren't very comfy.

I was thinking of getting an SG. Suggestions. Remember australian dollars. Guitars cost a whole lot more here than they do in the US and other countries.
gibsons are massively overpriced for what you are getting. I would suggest ESP or Ibanez (ESP more though) for that high of a price. But to suggest anything specific we would need to know what genre you're looking to play, and what amp you have (so that we may suggest you get a new amp first)

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Going to need more info mate. What style of music do you play? What is the rest of your gear? Do you gig? What type of bridge do you want? What type of neck joint? What type of pickups? What state are you located in?
Quote by TomW13
I've had my first guitar for about a year and a half and i finally decided it was time to get a new guitar. My first was a $400 (Australian. Yep thats right i'm Aussie) magnum les paul copy. im taking a big step and going to about $3000-$3500 (AU). I need suggestions because i dont want to waste a whole load of cash on a guitar that is a piece of shit. I like Gibsons but i'm not a fan of Fenders, their body shapes are just too generic and the guitars just sound tinny and thin. They also aren't very comfy.

I was thinking of getting an SG. Suggestions. Remember australian dollars. Guitars cost a whole lot more here than they do in the US and other countries.

um, US & AUS currency are quite similar now.

$100 AU = ~$93 US
so you can get a guitar in America shipped over to save some bucks
You find fenders uncomfortable but not the SG. Each to their own I guess.

Don't limit yourself to Fender and Gibson. They are safe bets but as tempting as it is to stick to the big popular brands maybe look at some of the other good brands that you can get in Australia. I hear it is notoriously hard to get good gear out there, but try out as many different guitars as you can. You can still buy from a reliable, popular brand that's not Fender/Gibson.

Can't really give you much more help than that yet until you answer some of the questions asked above.
btw bit of a newbie to ug. the problem is i cant gig where i live there is absolutely no-one that plays instruments and pretty much no venues that will do live music. I guess living in a small country town does have its downsides. whats even worse is the closest music shop is an hour away. My amp is a Kustom 15 watt with a Digitech RP250. I'm not limiting myself but i want to get something i know is going to sound good. I play blues, classic rock, hard rock, a little bit of metallica-esque metal and also some other stuff so i want a guitar that has a diverse tonal range. I now of many australian brands like Ormsby, Crossley, Maton and some other ones and a whole load of international brands, PRS, Grestch, Rickenbacker, ESP, Ibanez, Washburn, Cort, Yamaha, Music Man, G&L, Michael Kelly, Dean, Charvel, Jackson, B.C Rich, the list goes on and on. I'm still in high school and i've saved for a helluva long time so thats why i want a good one that will last, sound great and be versatile for whatever i want it to do. I'm not fussed on the bridge but don't really like floyd roses or any other locking ones. I think set neck is the way to go and humbuckers. I sorta set the price a bit high so you can suggest things lower than that. Phil i'm in NSW.
Nothing's going to sound good unless you replace the amp as well.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
With that money u can buy an american fender or an ibanez and also have an amp shipped over and still have leftovers =]
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Upgrade your amp, as Steven said everything is going to sound bad on your current amp.

Strats can get as monstrous as you want in terms of sound, it depends on your amp and some on your pickups. Same with feel, it depends on what model. For instance, the Modern C on MIM Fenders and the standards, are not comfortable to me. The U shape or Soft V shape is more comfortable to my hands. There are also other models of the strat, if you like the thick necked Gibsons, get the Soft V style ('57 reissue) If you like the thinner neck model and rosewood, get a '62 reissue. Pickup changes if you want.

You could also get a Jaguar. Carvin can make you a custom guitar. You can get a Telecaster. ES-335 would also be pretty good. Those things are real real nice, comfortable, gorgeous, and they sound amazing.

If you have the money, seeing you're an Aussie, definitely go with Ormsby. Since you're looking for something just for you, why not have a guitar that looks gorgeous made for you by a fellow Aussie?
then what are some good brands of amp for what i want to be playing?
Quote by TomW13
then what are some good brands of amp for what i want to be playing?

What are you looking for in an amp, how much are you willing to spend, etc?

I know what genres you play, but will you need a clean channel? Do you want 2 channels with separate EQs?
i reckon id need a clean channel and i definetley need separate EQ's. I'm willing to pay $400-$600 roughly.
This is going to be odd but I'm going to say a Fender MIM fat strat and a Fender Hot rod deluxe and tubescreamer will get you mostly what you want besides the metallica-esque metal. That altogether wouldn't run you any more then $2800.

But I'd say take a drive to a music store and spend the better half of your afternoon just trying a wide range of guitars and amps to see which one suits you.
for guitar check out ESP LTD Mh-1000nt or EC1000 Sunburst with seymour duncans

For amp, a peavey classic 30 with od pedal should be good.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt