Um. I don't know what to say about this, other than listen to it and see what you think.
C4C, all that jazz.

EDITnew link at latest reply by me, near bottom of page)
Last edited by Rustic-Key at Nov 16, 2009,
Nice work. The main riff was awesome. It's kinda laid back and lazy, but at the same time really catchy.

I would suggest some more variation in the drums, especially between sections.

Only bit that I didn't like was 29-30.

Apart from that, you've got a pretty solid base for a piece here. Or it would work quite well as an interlude for an album at it's current length.

Keep up the good work.

Mind checking out my latest upload? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1229968
Last edited by Butt Rayge at Nov 13, 2009,
Quote by Butt Rayge
Nice work. The main riff was awesome. It's kinda laid back and lazy, but at the same time really catchy.

I would suggest some more variation in the drums, especially between sections.

Only bit that I didn't like was 29-30.

Apart from that, you've got a pretty solid base for a piece here. Or it would work quite well as an interlude for an album at it's current length.

Keep up the good work.

I like it when people appreciate my work (Oh, the ego ). I definitely agree with you about the drums, but it's hard for me to make 'interesting' drums without it adding a lot of drive to the song, and that's definitely something I wanted to avoid - I didn't want the song to have a sense of power. More of a laid back, cool feel - something metal-ish that you could still chill while listening to.
Thanks a lot for the feedback. If there's anything you want me to critique for you, be sure to ask
Yeah, you definitely pulled off what you were going for. I really like the feeling. It's nothing out-of-this-world or amazing, but it gives off really cool vibes (here I go sounding all hippy)

And I edited my post to add my piece.^ (perhaps while you were writing your response)
I don't see just how you can brand it progressive metal - not that it really matters - but, apart from that, the song is nice. It's some kind of short, though, and has alot more potential. But I guess it also works well as an interlude, like Butt Rayge said. But then again, I'd make it acoustic, and a little more jazzy drums. Something like Opeth would do, you know?

Anyway, an interesting piece of work, and now I need to work getting the main riff out of my head Care to crit mine? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1229970
Originally Posted by huevos
You're from Norway, so I find that hard to believe. The lot of ya like to burn churches down and sacrifice virgins to Lord Faust and Isahan.
Quote by GuitarProPro
I don't see just how you can brand it progressive metal - not that it really matters - but, apart from that, the song is nice. It's some kind of short, though, and has alot more potential. But I guess it also works well as an interlude, like Butt Rayge said. But then again, I'd make it acoustic, and a little more jazzy drums. Something like Opeth would do, you know?

Anyway, an interesting piece of work, and now I need to work getting the main riff out of my head Care to crit mine? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1229970

*shrug* I can't categorise it into anything else, but to be honest I can hear the metal in it, if you can't then that's cool with me . And you're right, it is short. I forgot to mention that it's unfinished, haha. >.> I did this piece a while ago and got to a stage where I had no idea what I wanted to do with it.
I don't get the whole 'go acoustic' thing - to be honest, I'm sick of bands resorting to acoustic guitars to get a laid-back sort of feel, so I'm going to stick with the electric guitars. I get the jazz drums thing though, I'm totally feeling that - where would a good place to look for ideas be?

It seems like all I'm doing is being defensive but I swear I'll get better with time
Last edited by Rustic-Key at Nov 13, 2009,
Quote by Rustic-Key
*shrug* I can't categorise it into anything else, but to be honest I can hear the metal in it, if you can't then that's cool with me . And you're right, it is short. I forgot to mention that it's unfinished, haha. >.> I did this piece a while ago and got to a stage where I had no idea what I wanted to do with it.
I don't get the whole 'go acoustic' thing - to be honest, I'm sick of bands resorting to acoustic guitars to get a laid-back sort of feel, so I'm going to stick with the electric guitars. I get the jazz drums thing though, I'm totally feeling that - where would a good place to look for ideas be?

It seems like all I'm doing is being defensive but I swear I'll get better with time

Yeah, it's definately some sort of metal. It's the prog I don't get

Acoustic could be really nice, you know! But it's your choice, of course. You could also use a sort of angered semi-distorted guitar. If you tune them down, and just add a little bit of distortion, it ends up pretty smooth, I think. And when it comes to jazz drums, I guess you just need to listen to some jazz drumming. Perhaps fusion?
Originally Posted by huevos
You're from Norway, so I find that hard to believe. The lot of ya like to burn churches down and sacrifice virgins to Lord Faust and Isahan.
Well, you definitely accomplished what you were aiming for, with the chillness and stuff, but I'm not really that fond of it >_>

Would be better if you just scrapped the idea of it being metal, and made it an all out chill jazz piece in my opinion
Agreed that the first riff of the song is very laid back, but it does actually sound pretty cool and I think fits well with the rest of the riffs in the song. Also, good job adding a simple, yet effective, second guitar to go over this riff which just changes things up a bit and stops it from getting boring.

Your second riff is slightly less laid back and has a bit more energy to it, but not enough to make it just sound out of place with the first riff. However, I wasn't too sure about when the guitar part got higher, at around 40 seconds, but I guess it sounded okay after it went on for a bit, just a change from the rest of what I've heard thus far.

I will say that when you got back into the ordinary flow of the song, I was slightly bored with it but your rhythm and lead at about 1:13 definitely got my attention back and came in at a good part in my opinion. I'm guessing you're not completely finished with it since the ending is abrupt, but you're off to a nice start, just continue the feel it has now and don't stray too much.

C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1227929
I thought it was great! Each instrument is well written, and goes together well.

My only suggestion is that you could do more with the solo at 29; it's great, but too short, so it sounds kind of abrupt.

C4C? Anything in my sig could use it.
Thanks for the feedback and praise! XD
Finally finished it. Here it is in all it's glory with a proper solo and ending.
Attachments:
sludgynew.zip
overall a good piece, nothing wrong at all. You just need to work on the transitions, they were not really flowing sometimes, but it could also just be guitar pro messing up.
The song also misses some highlights, some riffs, solos or fills that make this song special, but I guess all in all the song will work fine as it is
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻