hi, im in the market for a new cab, i went to my local guitar shop, tried out 2 cabs, a hughes & Kettner, and a line 6 (both with V30's) the line 6 sounded better, but to be honest, i really dont want a line 6, as narrow minded as that is. also was looking at a mesa recto, theres a second hand one on ebay thats close to me, also, how do you think a Blackstar woiuld match with a peavey6505?, i dont have much experience with blackstar but they seem decent? anyone had experience with there cabs? also, any other cab rec would be appreciated

p.s: Using ibanez MTM1 (with EMG81 bridge) and play in drop A lol, looking for a sound similar to something like whitechapel or suicide silence
Gear List:
Guitars:
Schecter C7 Hellraiser
Jackson JS20 Dinky
Ibanez MTM1 (Slipknot Signature)
Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Head (with Grill Mod)
Cab and Effects:
Orange PPC412(BLK)
Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor
Buy the line 6 if you like the sound, I tried the same cab you're talking about with the bogner made head and it destroyed nearly all of the amps in the store including a jsx and a 6505 hooked up to a bugera cab.

I would not recommend any peavey cabinets besides the triple x, and even that sounds rather thin to me. I always recommend 1960A's, but they might be too expensive/heavy and not be what you're looking for.
yeah i really wasn't considering a peavey cab, i was probbz looking for something with V30's, the 1960A's have gt12's or whatever they are dont they? which do you think would have more bottom end? coz that is what is really lacking for me with my randall cab (and clarity)
Gear List:
Guitars:
Schecter C7 Hellraiser
Jackson JS20 Dinky
Amps:
Cab and Effects:
Orange PPC412(BLK)
Quote by DarkValo666
Blackstar does awesome stuff, but why don't you go with a Peavey cab for a Peavey amp?

Peavey cabs are notoriously bad sounding

Quote by jamesy_pwd
yeah i really wasn't considering a peavey cab, i was probbz looking for something with V30's, the 1960A's have gt12's or whatever they are dont they? which do you think would have more bottom end? coz that is what is really lacking for me with my randall cab (and clarity)

1960As have G12T-75 speakers which are more scooped sounding than V30s. V30s win out in the clarity department imo. You should try them out, they are very different sounding speakers.
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Nov 13, 2009,
Quote by jamesy_pwd

Peavey cabs aren't great, so I'd stay away from them. If you're looking for bottom end, the 1960 or an oversized mesa w/V30's would be a good bet.
I'll nutswing the Mesa Recto cabs. I have a half-open 2x12 with V30s myself. For downtuning like that you might want a fully closed one just to make sure your low end stays tight.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by DrNick
I'll nutswing the Mesa Recto cabs. I have a half-open 2x12 with V30s myself. For downtuning like that you might want a fully closed one just to make sure your low end stays tight.

this is the cab i was looking at on ebay, looks decent
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mesa-Boogie-4x12-Recto-Cabinet_W0QQitemZ250526143735QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Amplifiers?hash=item3a548594f7
Gear List:
Guitars:
Schecter C7 Hellraiser
Jackson JS20 Dinky
Amps:
Cab and Effects:
Orange PPC412(BLK)
^ Sounds good, especially if it's fully closed. See if you have a chance to play one in person and see how your 6505+ holds up with it in Drop A.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
I have an old 5150 cab that sounds pretty good. I added some screws to the cab, tightened everything else, rewired it with better wire, soldered it all up so it doesn't fall apart and carefully varnished two of the cones.
I've got a blackstar cab and its awesome! Sounds so sweet with my dragon and is built like a tank!

I tried 3 cabs at the store, the blackstar, conford, and a standard mesa. All had v30's and I prefered the blackstar over all of them, so much low end punch AND clarity!

Gear:

Ibanez RGT220H
Schecter C1 Elite
Ibanez EWC30
Maxon OD-808
Framus Cobra
Peavey 5150 MK1 Block Letter
ENGL E530 Preamp
Mesa Boogie Standard Rectifier 4x12

Music:

http://www.myspace.com/morethanthisuk
Last edited by chrism3006 at Nov 13, 2009,
cabs are wood(that mainly comes from the same place), speakers(that mainly come from the same manufacturers) and designs(which really haven't seen anything innovative in mainstream since the 60's).

if you know these aspects of cabinets then you can make a more educated decision on cabinet choice.

first off, materials. cabs you will be looking at will be made out of a baltic birch plywood. this ply wood is usually 13ply@18mm total ~.7". baltic birch is favorable cuz it doesn't shake/flex/bend/or in any other way sympathetically resonant with the audio signal in from the speaker, thus allowing tighter signal response and less signal loss due unwanted mechanical vibration of the box, making the process more efficient. no other wood choice provides this performance at the quality/availability/and price.

next speaker choice, choice of speaker is almost pointless imo. but then again i have played most speaker everyone wants and have had the opportunity to form my opinion on them. when i get speakers for a cabinet, i already know what the cabinet is designed for and i then pick the speaker from application/materials/design standpoint. for example, my orange ppc 212 has 2 weber speakers of archaic celestion design rated for 100 watts a piece, one is ceramic speaker and the other is alnico. why? not because they are my favorite or bestest speakers ever, it was because the design and application of the cabinet was for classic british rock tones, so i made it more purpose built. my next cab will be a pine open back 212 with 2 weber california jenson copies, cuz i want an amercian sounding cab.

now, for you application, metal... drop A... lots of distortion most likely. i would mix speakers or go for a set of celestion g12k-100's(aka K series or K). the K handles low end without adding low end unlike a g12H-30 which adds syrupy low end. also when you are running 100 watt heads(or at least 50) like you usually do in drop A music you need higher wattage rated speakers. the reason for this is so the speaker doesn't distort or 'mud' up(aka 'rounding'), when playing standard rock it is a great sound, when playing drop A death metal it sounds like mud. so a speaker with ample power handling is ideal to keep you notes more solid and distinct. so eliminating the lower wattage speakers you are dealt with either eminence speakers(don't dig on their rock speakers, their clean ones are good enough though) or a V30, the K-100 or a t-75 or classic 80 or something model. in that situation the V30 and the K-100 stand out because the V30 cuts and the K-100 is a stable monster, so mixing those speakers also works. but imo, if you are going as low as A, you will want all the stability of the K-100.

btw, i played the precursor G12K-85 for about 6 years when i played metal through high school and into college, great speakers. you can drop tune through em and play any head you want through them with as much distortion as you want and they just handle. the reason i gave up on them is cuz there response and feedback was so 'metal', i want a rock sound and went after it. if you do get a K speaker in your cab though...

Design. once again i choose design of the cab from the get go(which kinda encompasses everything listed above, but in this post i will use the term for the actual cab design rather than components in the cab). i first want to know what i will use the cab for, like you need a metal cab, and then i choose the design. in your case an oversized 2x12 or 4x12 cabinet with a closed back and possibly stereo options would be advantageous. the reason for 2 or 4 12" speakers is because it works, and they aren't too rediculously huge. the reason for the closed back is for more percussive response and bigger sound, adds tonal qualities with all the internal reflection as well. the reason for the oversized nature is to accentuate the closed back nature of the cab and to make the low end sound larger, resulting in a bigger sound. i like orange designs for this, you wont find a bigger cabinet without going vintage(like old sunn and fender 2x15's and 2x12's).

you can find all that stuff on either mass producing manufacturers like orange, or cheaper alternatives like HB or avatar, or by going custom, custom is cheaper than you would believe. but avatar would have the design you need for about ~650 including shipping.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae