hi, hoping there are some laney vc15 players here who have experience, either with an attenuator or not, of getting output distortion from the amp. on the clean channel that is.

the loudest im able to get it in the house (clean channel) is a volume of 5. even then if i dig in hard (which is really pushing volume levels for where i am) there is still plenty of headroom left. it is nice and chimey but im not getting the kind of compression im looking for. this is with the les paul - the strat has even more headroom.

at what point for you does the power amp start to break up? how does it sound/respond when it does?

what im looking for is the point where it is chimey and clean maybe with the guitar volume on around 7 or when you play gently on 10. while just compressing and adding a bit of edge and aggression when you play harder. you know, that in between sound so many people go for.

im basically wondering if it is a good idea to get an attenuator or whether the sounds im looking for won't be there even when really driven.
what guitar/pickups are you using? i don't own one, but from what i can remember, the one i tried was breaking up at 5 on the clean channel. I was using reasonably high output humbuckers, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well both a strat and a les paul copy. id have expected the les paul to get there although it has pretty vintage output pickups set fairly low (height). id switched out any 5751's or cv4024's so even with higain ecc83's in the preamp i still have loads of headroom left . . .

only trying for overdriving the clean channel because it seems that the drive channel goes through another bit of circuit (possibly SS boost or MOSFET??) that takes away some of the purity and responsiveness. the bright switch has the same thing so i avoid that too.

where it is right now it sounds beautiful and great to play but is still clean. it feels like that breakup is going to start around 8/9 on the clean volume if at all and by that time id already have a street full of angry neighbours. id like it when i hit hard to kind of compress the peaks and distort, rather than just jump out much louder

can you describe the breakup on the amp you tried please? did it ever give you that kind of compression on louder notes or did the whole sound just start to clip?
ahh . . just remembered that when i swapped out the preamp tubes to reduce headroom i actually left the mullard cv4024 in V2 (cathode follower for tone circuit). i know if this was used in V1 it would reduce input gain a lot and if it was in V3 (phase inverter) it would actually increase volume and headroom due to the high output current and low gain factor.

i had it in V2 because it is such a quality sounding tube and can make the amp sound better in any position but V2 doesn't seem to affect gain too much. maybe swapping this for an ax7 would get me into a little bit of clipping. be a shame because then i'd be running the stock TAD tubes it came with apart from the RI Tungsol ax7 in V1. . .

ill give this a try at a more sociable hour today
My VC15 starts to break up just before 6 on the clean channel and I'm using Seymour Duncan '59 pickups. I have switched JJ ECC83 to the V1 slot and other tubes are stock tubes. If i play a chord with a pick it feels like the whole house will explode, so I never play on that volume. Sometimes I play fingerpicking songs when the volume is on 5.
I use a strat, and it starts breaking up at about 7/8, which I've only done at gigs. When you do drive it, it sounds brilliant, and is very responsive. You can get some nice compressed-type overdrive when you really crank it and pick hard, but that is pretty loud.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
cool thanks for the replies. i guess i must be pretty close then despite how clean it is on 5.

6 with pafs and 7-8 with singlecoils sounds about right. i guess if i had an attenuator set pretty low (small amount of attenuation) id be able to push the volume that little extra needed without getting any louder than it already is on 5.

thanks again for the replies; from that description i cant wait to get her cooking!
Quote by clear and blue

can you describe the breakup on the amp you tried please? did it ever give you that kind of compression on louder notes or did the whole sound just start to clip?

it's a long time since i tried one, unfortunately... it just sounded like a british-style valve amp turned up, i guess. i'm guessing there was some compression, there normally is.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
it's a long time since i tried one, unfortunately... it just sounded like a british-style valve amp turned up, i guess. i'm guessing there was some compression, there normally is.

cheers.

i guess it will be something i need to experience first hand. i think its more the american amps that are known for edge compression and dynamics. to me the old marshalls are closer to bassmans (american); orange have a completely different sound so seeing as this amp is kind of voxy, it will be interesting to see.

i think ive only heard vox amps either flat out ala brian may, clean or distorted with fuzz like yardbirds etc. in my head i imagine the opposite of say a dumble/fender on the edge
i.e. not compressing smoothly,controlled and pretty, instead being a bit more raw and insolent.

we'll see eh!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
UPDATE:

to anyone who's interested; had a bit of a play today and took the volume to 7. using the les paul i was getting some definite breakup when i played hard from about 6 on the amp volume. in fact if im quite aggressive with a note on 5 it distorts a bit. its just being at that volume in the house and having the audacity to hit hard, bend and wiggle . . . sounds good though

doesn't compress all that much, notes still jump out a lot except they are aggressive and raw sounding compared to the sweeter sound when you play softly. from around 4ish on the volume the clean responds beautifully and it seems by 7 the amp is really playing along with you and its nice to know that there is a bit of overdrive there when needed.

going to install one of those London Power power scaling kits when i have a much needed break over christmas. liked the idea when i heard about it a few years ago but since then it has been improved and simplified to the point that you can stick it in your amp without too much bother from about £30 (mastertone).

got a thread about it on another forum and when i put the PS kit in i will probably do photo step by step and give my opinions on how it works. if anyone here is interested i can either post a similiar thread here at UG or just give you the link to the one at MyLesPaul.

let me know