So basically, tomorrow me and my band will gather at my place to record an acoustic semi-live EP. We will record the tracks separately to make it easy for us, but there will only be one of each.

So there will be one piano, one acoustic guitar and two voices. I have never mixed anything like this before, so anyone have some nice tips how I can make it sound big without adding more tracks?

As in what to do with each track, there will be four in total. Huge thanks in advance.

-DW
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Making it sound bigger than it really is can be hard because it will tend to sound unnatural.

You should definitely try reverb on every instrument, and the vocals, but don't drown everything in it either. Reverb can add a lot to the overall sound.

You should also EQ the tracks for optimal sound.if the guitar sounds a bit thin for example, try raising the bass and low mids on the EQ for example.
Use an equalizer for every track untill it sounds good, and use reverb aswell.

Then, if needed, EQ the whole mix again.

Listening what it needs is the key to a great sound.
you'd be surprised,
its actually easier to make each instrument sound big when there are less instruments involved

just listen to something like "Safe From Harm" by Massive Attack for example, that collossal bass sound and the huge sense of space is possible because there are so few other elements in the mix.

a few things to consider:

-use the best mics you can, and spend some time finding the best possible source sound.

-spend time positioning the instruments in the room, (i assume you are working in an un-treated space)

-track at a reasonable level, don't just crank it up to "near-clipping", check my post in this thread for an explaination : https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1229979

-once in the DAW, just use some nice compressors to gently massage the levels,
Great tips thanks, alot!
I'll try them and post the results later.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by Demon Wolf

I'll try them and post the results later.

Please do

it would be pretty cool if you could also share the multitrack bounces, i would love to have a go at mixing this.
Quote by TheDriller
Please do

it would be pretty cool if you could also share the multitrack bounces, i would love to have a go at mixing this.

Sure thing, I'll share the unedited single tracks if you want.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
Quote by Demon Wolf
Sure thing, I'll share the unedited single tracks if you want.

that would be awesome

im sure there are many people here who would appreciate that.

just export/bounce each track, with each of them starting from exactly 0,
stick them in a zip file and upload somewhere, maybe we could make it a mix competition?