So, I've got a Crate G412 100W 4x12 angled cab, which I plan on selling soon. So last night I was taking pics for ebay and decided to take the back off to get some shots of the speakers. Right after doing so, the positive and negative wires were unplugged before I could see where they were plugged in. Having never looked at the inside I really don't know where they go as I have no speaker wiring experience. All four are wired in standard series, so I figure it would be easy enough to find a wiring diagram for it and this is what I used. Obviously it's for a 2x12 but the same concept applies. So I plugged it back in and I really thought I had it right, still no sound. Nothing is damaged or anything so that's out of the question. The speakers themselves should be wired correctly as well. I'm sure there's something I'm missing, so if someone could direct me where to plug in the + and - wires, that'd be pretty awesome. Sounds so noobish but I guess even the most obvious mistakes can be easily overlooked. Here's a picture of the inside, and if someone could just tell me which terminals, or upload the same image after using mspaint to indicate where to plug them in, I would be eternally grateful.

It may appear that the top right speaker is connected to itself, but it's not.
well, they're all wired in series, but 2 speakers are out of phase, and you don't have a jack..

theres no way your signal can get to something it's not plugged into, and once you have a jack in properly, you'll get a thin sound, because of opposite phases..

I can draw you up a diagram in a bit, but I'm at work right now..
I'm guessing all 4 speakers are 4 ohms, and you're wiring in series for 16 ohms, total?

one note: DONT turn your amp on, with a load you're unsure of. make sure you have the cab wired up right, then go ahead and play through it. having no load, or an improper load can do some bad damage to the amp..

edit: ok, if I look closely at the picture, I think I can see where it says "8 ohms" on each speaker.
in that case, you want series parallel wiring. a combination of the 2, like in the diagram 2 posts up...
Last edited by james4 at Nov 13, 2009,
As for Jim's question, it was the jack + and - that got unplugged from the speaker terminals.

And as for James' response: I'm confused as to why it needs to be series/parallel. When I opened it, of course it was wired in standard series as I mentioned. I guess what I'm wondering is, why is it that 8 ohm speakers are better suited to series/parallel than just standard series? 'Cause obviously it worked in normal series. Would it lessen the load on each speaker or something? Obviously if I were to do that, I'd need another speaker wire to connect the bottom two speakers as pictured in end_citizen's post. I assume one of those can be acquired from RadioShack or something? Also, on the two top speakers (which are right side up) which sides of the terminals are positive and negative? Obviously it's different for the two bottom ones since they're upside down.
sorry I can't type much of a reply right now, cause I'm at work..

your cab will work when it's all wired in series, but the total load will be 32ohms.

most amps are intended to have a load of 4, 8, or 16ohms for the optimal performance, and to avoid damaging your output transformer.

if you wire your speakers in series/parallel, you'll get a toal of 8ohms for the whole cab. this is way more desireable than 32 ohms, because almost any amp is compatable with driving an 8ohm load. where you won't find very many that are using a 32ohm tap on the output transformer..

how sure are you that it was all in series when you got it? because that seems unlikely.. unless a previous owner re-wired it :/

edit: and yeah, you can probably find a cable like that at radio shack. I dunno for sure, though.. we dont have them in Canada

for positive and negative.. it doesnt matter wich is + and which is -, it just matters that you stay consistant for all the speakers.

if you designate the lug on the right of the top-right speaker to be positive, then treat the right lug on the top-left speaker as positive.
because the bottom 2 speakers are upside down, the lower-left and right speakers' left lugs should be treated as positive.
Last edited by james4 at Nov 13, 2009,
I really, really appreciate all your help, James. You are a saint Not only were you of great assistance, but your knowledge of ohm loads has helped to solve an unsolved mystery. Allow me to preface this story by assuring you that I am the original owner of this cab and that the back cover has never been removed until last night. I've recently read reviews on this particular cabinet and many people say the same thing: that it distorts at high volumes and whatnot, which assures me that its stock wiring is in all-series. About 1.5 years ago, my Crate GT1200H head just stopped working out of no where. Apparently the output transformer had fried and since it was still under warranty, I had it professionally replaced with a new one. And now I know why.
Thanks again, and I'll be sure to wire it correctly very soon.
Quote by SamZee
I really, really appreciate all your help, James. You are a saint Not only were you of great assistance, but your knowledge of ohm loads has helped to solve an unsolved mystery. Allow me to preface this story by assuring you that I am the original owner of this cab and that the back cover has never been removed until last night. I've recently read reviews on this particular cabinet and many people say the same thing: that it distorts at high volumes and whatnot, which assures me that its stock wiring is in all-series. About 1.5 years ago, my Crate GT1200H head just stopped working out of no where. Apparently the output transformer had fried and since it was still under warranty, I had it professionally replaced with a new one. And now I know why.
Thanks again, and I'll be sure to wire it correctly very soon.

thats strange that it came all in series, though..not sure why they'd do that :/

..anyway, glad you could get it figured out, and good luck in your search for a buyer
the only reason that i could think of for making a 32 ohm cab is that it was intended to be sold and used as a package wired in parallel with a second 32 ohm cab, which still doesn't make much sense but Crate does some goofy things sometimes
I have the same cabinet (straight instead of slant)... I'm looking to replace the speakers with Celestion Vintage 30's... The wiring as show in the OP is how these cabinets are factory wired.

The missing Wires connect Red to Top Right speaker & Black to Bottom Left speaker as you are looking inside the cabinet, & those are connected here... though I don't remember which terminal is black & which is red...

The reason for the 32 ohm cab is that's what Crate wanted ???

Oh I also have a question... If I buy 4 Vintage 30 16ohm speakers & wire them as series parallel, that would reduce the cab to 16ohm per end_citizen's diagram right? I ask cause I bought two of them already & got the wrong ones... I bought two 16's instead of two 8's & it would be too expensive shipping wise to return them for the 8's & no one has any locally...
Last edited by chaosdsm at Jan 23, 2010,