Hey guys it's another amp help question. I've been looking at a new amp for a long time. My Epiphone Blues Custom 30 has been a faithful friend, but it's time for something better. I've been looking at quite a few amps (mostly Orange, Vox, and Fender) but recently the Mesa Stiletto caught my eye. My experience with Mesa/Boogie amps is limited to the Mark III and IV. I didn't like either one, but I recently heard my friend playing through a Stiletto and it was unbelievably articulate. I've seen 2 versions of this amp, the Stiletto Ace and Stiletto Deuce. What are the differences between the two?

That being said, I'll lay it all out for you guys. I play a lot of clean and classic rock stuff (Zeppelin, Deep Purple, AC/DC, etc...) and the dirtiest I go would be modern Slash tones like those he gets on his Velvet Revolver recordings. I'm willing to save up for the amp rather than just setting a budget, but for the sake of the conversation let's keep the price to under $2000 for the amp head. And yes, it needs to be a head only.
I've never played a Stilleto but depending on where you are at I would think something like a Splawn would suite you better. Very well made, lifetime warranty and it will nail the tones you want better. Me thinks. Just throwin' out something else. Most things I've read is that people love their Stilletos.
Only heard good things about them, but I've never played one.
Also look at the Lonestar, also by mesa, amazing cleans
Quote by As_I_Lay_living
Only heard good things about them, but I've never played one.
Also look at the Lonestar, also by mesa, amazing cleans

I like the cleans on the Lonestar, but I just like the cleans on the Stiletto better
i have a stiletto and i love it. it can do pretty much any style. the cleans are nice. very british flavored, which isnt really my thing, which is why im selling it. the overdrive can do any classic rock stuff amazingly. with the gain high and an od it gets into metal territory nicely. i really love it, and the only reason im getting rid of it is because im looking for a different clean tone, and my 5150 handles my metal tones better.

id definitely look into the stiletto. 11 could be right, you might be happier with a splawn though. the reason i couldnt turn down the stiletto was because i got it for 800. itll be hard to find a deal like that on a splawn. depends on what you want to spend.

oh and by the way, the ace is 50 watt and the deuce is 100. i also think the deuce has more modes. i havent seen an ace in a while so im not sure. but the deuce is 100 and switchable down to 50, which is cool
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by ghiyath
I like the cleans on the Lonestar, but I just like the cleans on the Stiletto better

haaha, ironically im about to trade my stiletto for a lonestar
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
i have a stiletto and i love it. it can do pretty much any style. the cleans are nice. very british flavored, which isnt really my thing, which is why im selling it. the overdrive can do any classic rock stuff amazingly. with the gain high and an od it gets into metal territory nicely. i really love it, and the only reason im getting rid of it is because im looking for a different clean tone, and my 5150 handles my metal tones better.

id definitely look into the stiletto. 11 could be right, you might be happier with a splawn though. the reason i couldnt turn down the stiletto was because i got it for 800. itll be hard to find a deal like that on a splawn. depends on what you want to spend.

oh and by the way, the ace is 50 watt and the deuce is 100. i also think the deuce has more modes. i havent seen an ace in a while so im not sure. but the deuce is 100 and switchable down to 50, which is cool

thanks for the input. I'm not a metal guy so metal tones aren't a concern for me. Although could it reach Iron Maiden style tones? That's as high gain as I'd want to go. Also I'll check out the splawns.. Any one in particular?
I'd look for a Quick Rod and not because I have one.

There are more of those out there than the others. It has a half power switch (as most Splawns do) so you can run at 50 if you like. Cleans won't be as nice as the Mesa. I've seen QR's for as low as $900 used. There is a demo on youtube of Scott Splawn playing a Nitro and a buddy playing a Quick Rod back and forth.

QR Gears
Gear 1 = Plexi
Gear 2 = modded JCM800
Gear 3 = super rodded 800

Lonestars are nice too, just not enough ummph for lack of better way to put it.
Stilletos IIRC are based of old marshall JMPs and then hotrodded.

I would look at splasn Street rods (40w combos) or the Splawn Competition/quickrod)
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
Stilletos IIRC are based of old marshall JMPs and then hotrodded.

I would look at splasn Street rods (40w combos) or the Splawn Competition/quickrod)

The splawn quickrod sounds great... would you recommend it over the Stiletto Deuce?
i thought (from what little i've tried it) that the stiletto sounded more like mesa trying to do marshall than an actual marshall. it still sounded kinda mesa-ey, to my ears. For the stuff you want, you might be better getting something more vintage-flavoured. of course, your mileage may vary and all that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I personaly love the splawn more
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
haha well it seems that the splawn QR is getting rave reviews around here... I just wish I could play a quickrod but unfortunately they aren't as available as a mesa
Quote by forsaknazrael
^I can agree with that. It's not quite classic rock-ish, there's definitely a more modern edge to it. If you want to sound more like Slash and Dave Kushner (who actually uses a Stiletto) does on the Velvet Revolver stuff, it'd be fine.

aye.

I haven't been able to try a splawn, either.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by ghiyath
haha well it seems that the splawn QR is getting rave reviews around here... I just wish I could play a quickrod but unfortunately they aren't as available as a mesa

ha ha ...well, you just happened to stumble upon a couple of guys here that like Splawns but there are many many more Mesa fans on here than Splawn.

What I would do, is use the link in my sig and see if you can find one on craigslist or something.

Good luck either way.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
ha ha ...well, you just happened to stumble upon a couple of guys here that like Splawns but there are many many more Mesa fans on here than Splawn.

What I would do, is use the link in my sig and see if you can find one on craigslist or something.

Good luck either way.

it's the truth

311, forsakn and me are the splawn fanboi's around here
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
If you see MatrixClaw floating around ask his opinion. I can't say he's owned a Stilleto but he has probably played one and has owned high end Mesa's, teh Splawn as well as a JCM800 6100.

He may be busy on a NxD tho so who knows
The Splawns are amazing.

Also consider the Budda Superdrive series, although you don't really hear people playing Iron Maiden with them. The guy from Mountain (Leslie West) uses them.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Honestly I don't need an amp with 481094814 switches and knobs on it. Even a single channel as is good, all I need is reverb and an effects loop.

To Raijouta, I've played the Budda Superdrive 30 and honestly it's not for me, although it is very nice
I don't consider the Splawns to have tons of knobs and options. They are actually pretty stripped down. Compared to the Mesa's anyway. No onboard reverb but I fix that with a Carbon Copy delay or better yet a reverb pedal.

The single channel version of the QR is the Competition. 50/25 watts.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I don't consider the Splawns to have tons of knobs and options. They are actually pretty stripped down. Compared to the Mesa's anyway. No onboard reverb but I fix that with a Carbon Copy delay or better yet a reverb pedal.

The single channel version of the QR is the Competition. 50/25 watts.

I'm listening to a lot of soundclips for the splawn quickrod and so far i like what I hear but the only issue is that most clips aren't of the clean setting and I play clean a lot. I just wish I could play it with my guitar. I'm going to GC now to try out the stiletto. thanks for the help
^I did a clean clip the other day that is my profile. 'Splawn Clean Tone 6' With and without delay. Not the greatest piece of work but I thought I'd mention it. There are not a lot of clean clips out there. Have you visited the Splawn site yet? There is a list of contributing clips in there and the forums are a great place to ask questions. They'll shoot you strait and if a Splawn is not for you they'll tell you so.

Quote by ghiyath
Hey guys it's another amp help question. I've been looking at a new amp for a long time. My Epiphone Blues Custom 30 has been a faithful friend, but it's time for something better. I've been looking at quite a few amps (mostly Orange, Vox, and Fender) but recently the Mesa Stiletto caught my eye. My experience with Mesa/Boogie amps is limited to the Mark III and IV. I didn't like either one, but I recently heard my friend playing through a Stiletto and it was unbelievably articulate. I've seen 2 versions of this amp, the Stiletto Ace and Stiletto Deuce. What are the differences between the two?

That being said, I'll lay it all out for you guys. I play a lot of clean and classic rock stuff (Zeppelin, Deep Purple, AC/DC, etc...) and the dirtiest I go would be modern Slash tones like those he gets on his Velvet Revolver recordings. I'm willing to save up for the amp rather than just setting a budget, but for the sake of the conversation let's keep the price to under $2000 for the amp head. And yes, it needs to be a head only.

The Ace is 50 watts and the Deuce is 100. The Deuce is probably more modern sounding.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
The Ace is 50 watts and the Deuce is 100. The Deuce is probably more modern sounding.

i should probably add that i've only tried the deuce.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Would a Stiletto Ace 1x12 combo be a good choice for Blues?

I play everything from John Mayer to Lamb of God. This seems like it would be a good fit.
- Anthony
PRS: PS P22, ME II 25th, SC HB I, Custom 22, McCarty 20th, SE Custom 24 7, Angulus SE
Fender Am Tele, Am Strat, 70 RI Strat, Esquire Scorpion
LTD: SC-607B

Amp
Avid 11R