Hi. I need to buy strings for my bass but I don't know nothing about them. I play and have been playing with 4 .045 Warwick strings. It feels great with this gauge, but which brand and type to buy?
Thanks.
Ricardo.
i just got dr high beams. those are pretty win. it has a nice all around sound
Dick+strings= owww
What brand and type of string to use is entirely a matter of taste. The only way to determine which ones you want to use is to try several of them over a period of time. Unfortunately, bass strings cost a lot more than do guitar strings. On the plus side, they last a lot longer than guitar strings.

What kind of bass do you have? What kind of strings do the bassists that you listen to use?
At the moment, I have a Jedson Telecaster Bass from the 70's but I'm looking to buy a Squier Vintage Modified P-Bass TB. I'm looking for a tone like Scott Reeder or Geezer Butler. I play stoner and psychedelic rock.
Quote by groovy-elephant
At the moment, I have a Jedson Telecaster Bass from the 70's but I'm looking to buy a Squier Vintage Modified P-Bass TB. I'm looking for a tone like Scott Reeder or Geezer Butler. I play stoner and psychedelic rock.

I don't know about Scott Reeder, but Geezer Butler uses DR Black Beauties strings (45 to 105, I believe) on his Lakland basses.
Well, it should help to at least not know nothing!

Ultimately the only way to try strings out is to buy some and test them out. It can get expensive if you hate them and need to get them off right away, but as long as you don't buy GHS (now that's a name a haven't heard in a long... long time) there's not much chance of that. I could recommend you go out and buy some Rotosound flatwounds RS77s, but you could hate them and be out $50 for trying a risky string choice. I recommend just going with some standard nickel-plated or stainless steel roundwounds, that's what most people tend to like, until you kind of find what you're looking for and what you might like in a string. Rotosound RS66s are always a good choice, or perhaps some DRs (lowriders or hibeams probably) or D'Addario are always popular.
I thought of a really good idea for this, It does involve spending a bit of money but will save you in the long run.
Go onto an online string website, and buy a couple of single A strings that you would like to try out, but them, stick them on one after the other and see which you like best then go buy the whole set.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul