Hey guys. I have been a bass player for about 5 years now, and I love playing bass with all my heart, but not so long ago, I decided that I was going to get a guitar to expand my musical horizon a little. MY only problem is that being a student forces me to have a rather strict budget off about 300-400 dollars. So... I was wondering if you fantastic people could help me pick out a guitar that would fit both my budget and musical taste. I'm probably going to play mostly progressive rock (Porcupine Tree, King Crimson etc) so, do you have any tips of any guitars within my price range that I could look into?

Edit: I forgot to mention that I have no need for a amp. I can borrow my roommates Vox ac30 or Roland cube as much has I want.
If you throw a pudding towards a running elephant in a pine forest, will the cookie come and eat you? O.o

Quote by Danno13
With a name like Jesus Lives, you
have bigger issues to worry about than how to get a signature guitar.
Owned
Last edited by nocturnal Shade at Nov 13, 2009,
with your budget I'm thinking some kind of Ibanez or Epiphone
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
Well Les Pauls are pretty good all around guitars, They work good for most genres. Check out some Epiphone Les Paul copies.
My gear:
  • Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz
  • Electro Harmonix Pulsar
  • Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
  • Malekko Chicklett

If you want some kind of PT sound I would say some sort of Les Paul, or maybe one of those cheap PRS's.
My Gear:
Custom Fender 62' Reissue Strat
Carvin Custom Shop DC400T
Jackson SL3 Soloist
Fender Super-Sonic 112
Boss GT-10

Quote by XianXiuHong
000-000-000-000-000
PM------------------------

You can now play every Slayer song.
A les paul of some sort if you do not care about the upper fret restriction, or if you are a die hard Fripp fan.
Sorry for the thread resurrection, but if you haven't bought it yet, I would highly recommend the vintage g-400 from epiphone. One of Epi's best instruments.