So in order to apply to college for sound recording tech I have to audition on an instrument since its technically a music major. I've decided to audition on classical guitar, but with such a huge library of music I'm stumped as to what to play. The audition requirements only say I need three pieces from three contrasting eras.

So I've considered doing Canon In D as one of them, but I'm totally open to any suggestions. I have about two months to prepare, but I'd prefer to have learned them and start memorizing within one. Also I'm no classical shred expert, so nothing super difficult please.

Any ideas?
The different periods are generally grouped into Baroque, Classical, Romantic, and 20th Century at most places. Canon in D would be considered Baroque. For classical anything by Sor, Giuliani, or Carulli would work. For Romantic you could try Tarrega, Albeniz, Villa-Lobos, or Barrios. 20th century are generally fairly difficult but some good composers are Leo Brouwer, Joaquin Rodrigo, and Roland Dyens.
Bill and Ted Fan Club Member #3. PM ollerom_mot or me to join.

"Let the Spirit guide your fingers."
You could be creative and arrange a kiddie song or something. Know it sounds lame but shows you can arrange stuff and come on, canon in D is awesome and then some other pieve and then you finish of with puff the magic dragon?

Anyways, good luck
THREE Pieces you could try goes like this #1ANDANTINO-FERDINANDO CARULLI.....#2 WALTZ-L.MEIGNEN....#3 ROMANZA-no one,s really sure who did it but your peers will love it!!!!!
Canon in D is good, Play some fernando sor, and easier piece would be his etude in Bm (No. 5 in the segovia editions). Tarrega would be a good choice, La Grima, Marieta, or Adelita are easier pieces.
Quote by Reverend-Me
You could be creative and arrange a kiddie song or something. Know it sounds lame but shows you can arrange stuff and come on, canon in D is awesome and then some other pieve and then you finish of with puff the magic dragon?

Anyways, good luck

DONT DO THIS. The ideal things to play are studies. Brouwer, Carcassi, Giuliani, Villa Lobos etc
Lawyers have a saying
He who represents hiimself (in Court) has a fool for a client.

I take it you are preparing for this audition without guidence of a competent teacher. Consider the meaning of the above saying with a few substitutions made... client-student, teacher-lawyer, audition-courtroom......
Last edited by R.Christie at Nov 17, 2009,
Go to eyethorsson.com and look under their studies section, the Carcassi Studies are full of simple little etudes that i used when i was auditioning, also there are alot of other pieces available on that site, Best of luck man!
Jackson Pc-1
Line 6 Spider III HD 150

I am new to recording, any tips and suggestions are well appreciated check my profile for my original compositions.