Page 1 of 2
and, aparrently, there are more employees at McDonald's restaurants than there are astonomers watching out for giant rocks that are going to kill us by slamming their unbelievably huge and massive asses on our planet at high speeds.

Seriously, asteroids are, imo, the only real threat the human race faces.

They are widely unpredictable and fully devastating, and have hit our planet before.

I am not worried about a nuclear war, I am not worried about a vast spread of a virus.

I am worried about freaking asteroids hitting and killing all of us within hours.

Thoughts.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Nov 13, 2009,
A 23-foot wide asteroid narrowly missed us a few nights ago. We had no idea it was coming.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by SteveHouse
A 23-foot wide asteroid narrowly missed us a few nights ago. We had no idea it was coming.

link?

also, a 23-foot asteroid is gonna do jackshit, as far as I'm informed.
If an asteroid hits and kills all humanity. At least we have a cool story to tell in the afterlife. And if there is no afterlife, at least we'll have something in common with dinosaurs.
Well... Jupiter and the other gas giants will most likely divert any large asteroids that would come into contact with our planet with its huuuuuge gravitational pull.

Our atmosphere could burn up most of it before it smashes into the planet, but there would still be much devastation.

My advice? Don't wory so much about what you have absolutely no control over and leave it to the astronomers to scare the shit out of you when the time comes.

Also, asteroids and meteorites are constantly entering our atmosphere. Every night when I look outside I can probably count at least 15 shooting stars.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
I would be more worried about a meteor shower that blinds 99.9% of the human race, leaving the hostile takeover of earth by triffids inevitable.
Theres also supervolcanoes and flood basalts... And also comets aren't fully devastating... Sure one of the 4 biggest known impacts caused a mass extinction but not all of the large impacts are associated with major climatic change...
Quote by CoreysMonster
link?

A car sized asteroid could destroy a small neighborhood block, a 23 foot asteroid could do some great deal of damage to a small neighborhood.
Quote by CoreysMonster
link?

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2009/11/07/close-call-asteroid-near-miss-for-earth-yesterday/

You're right, it would have made a pretty show burning up but that's it. Still, if an asteroid heads our way and we don't know about it until 15 hours before its closest pass, I don't care if it's only 23 feet. It passed closer than our geosynchronous satellites, and if it had hit some, we'd have some communications problems fasho.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by StonaLemons
Theres also supervolcanoes and flood basalts... And also comets aren't fully devastating... Sure one of the 4 biggest known impacts caused a mass extinction but not all of the large impacts are associated with major climatic change...

Seriously, +1.

If Yellowstone ever gets pissed, it will **** OUR SHIT UP.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asteroid_Apophis That is the biggest chance of an asteriod hitting. As you can see, the chances are pretty small.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Last edited by itchy guitar at Nov 13, 2009,
Quote by Nelsean
Well... Jupiter and the other as giants will most likely divert any large asteroids that would come into contact with our planet with its huuuuuge gravitational pull.

Our atmosphere could burn up most of it before it smashes into the planet, but there would still be much devastation.

My advice? Don't wory so much about what you have absolutely no control over and leave it to the astronomers to scare the shit out of you when the time comes.

Also, asteroids and meteorites are constantly entering our atmosphere. Every night when I look outside I can probably count at least 15 shooting stars.

Jupiter only diverts asteroids and comets when it's in special positions. if it's on the other side of the sun as us, it's not going to do jackshit.
and I'm talking about BIG asteroids and meteorites, not the puny little dust specks that hit us every day.

Quote by StonaLemons

...and that changes the fact that a huge piece of space rock could obliterate us all tomorrow, because...?
It surprises you there are more employees at McDonald's than people wasting their time staring at the sky?
These meteorites (once an asteroid or a meteor hits our surface, its called a meteorite) can also have alien bacterias and virus, that could wipe out all of the human race
Think about that...
Quote by Zoot Allures
It would do quite a bit to the area it landed on.

It would have to be 23 feet wide when it landed though. The atmosphere would have burned it up first.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by patsfannumero1
A car sized asteroid could destroy a small neighborhood block, a 23 foot asteroid could do some great deal of damage to a small neighborhood.

Yes, but it's a matter of getting through the atmosphere to actually do any damage.
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
The dust bunny aliens are invading! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Seriously, TS, lighten up. Or do less drugs.
Quote by Baraga
These meteorites (once an asteroid or a meteor hits our surface, its called a meteorite) can also have alien bacterias and virus, that could wipe out all of the human race
Think about that...

Alien bacteria = Aliens.
Quote by CoreysMonster
...and that changes the fact that a huge piece of space rock could obliterate us all tomorrow, because...?

Because it seems that not all major asteroid impacts cause extreme environmental damage & extinctions of species. Seriously, im researching to do a paper on mass extinctions now.
I don't get why you'd be afraid of this. If the world was over-run with giant manevolent spiders, that would be scary. But i'd imagine if you were near the site of the asteroid landing you'd die fairly quickly, which wouldn't be that bad.
Don't worry about anything. Just be happy that you're here, and live it all to the max.

Easier said than done for some, I know. But you can't keep focusing on the "what ifs" and the negatives. The more time you spend doing what you love, the better off you'll be emotionally.

If an asteroid hits tomorrow, and we're sent into an artificial winter and the human race is taken down to a speck of what it once was, then so be it. You said it yourself, TS. They're unpredictable. Not a damn thing we can do.

So, why worry? Death's not fun, and devastation isn't the best thing in town, but I'm not going to let it get me down.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by aaciseric
I don't get why you'd be afraid of this. If the world was over-run with giant manevolent spiders, that would be scary. But i'd imagine if you were near the site of the asteroid landing you'd die fairly quickly, which wouldn't be that bad.

the thing is, imagine if you knew, in 10 days, some huge rock was gonna hit the earth. you can do nothing about it. we're all doomed to die.

imagine that. and rock on.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Nov 13, 2009,
You do realise how many McDonalds there are don't you? There's probably more McDonalds restaurants than there are people watching out for meteorites.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Quote by CoreysMonster
I lit a cigarette and smoked one last one, the same I would've done if that were truly the end of the world.

I mean, seriously, if the world were gonna end in 2 minutes, what else would you do?

I'd probably be with my family smoking a jay then close my eyes upon the imminent destruction.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by Nelsean
I'd probably be with my family smoking a jay then close my eyes upon the imminent destruction.

well, my family lives more than 2 minutes away, so I'd just smoke one.

and embrace the fact that we're all going to die together, as sick as it sounds.
Quote by SteveHouse
It would have to be 23 feet wide when it landed though. The atmosphere would have burned it up first.

Yeah but supposing it was 23ft when it hit then it would be very damaging. The one in that link is 350m across and would be the equivilent of 880megatons on impact so a 7m asteroid would be 17 megatons ? o-O
We are woefully underprepared in the event of an asteroid hitting the earth (there was an article about it recently in New Scientist) but the actual risk is no as great as you have made out.

To kill us all, to kill everyone on earth the asteroid would have to be huge (we're talking miles long) after it has gone through the atmosphere (so would have to be even bigger before). The realistic threat of this is tiny.

The asteroids that are actually likely to hit the earth will be somewhere is the region of being able to destroy a car to destroying a whole city. However, asteroids big enough to destroy a city are still very uncommon.

The chance of such an asteroid actually hitting a city (cities take up very little of the surface of the earth) is very small.

In summary, they are not that bad, someone has been telling you lies/you're easily scared.

Also, you should be a lot more afraid of viruses, nuclear war and global warming (to name a few) because they are much greater threats to you and to the human race.
Quote by CoreysMonster
the thing is, imagine if you knew, in 10 days, some huge rock was gonna hit the earth. you can do nothing about it. we're all doomed to die.

imagine that. and rock on.

I can't imagine it would phase me too much to be honest, obviously i'd think about death a lot more in those ten days, but I wouldn't be afraid. I'd probably just try and do everything I could in that last week. I've never been one to get in a panic. It's also possible i'm too laid back for my own good though ...
Quote by 12345abcd3
We are woefully underprepared in the event of an asteroid hitting the earth (there was an article about it recently in New Scientist) but the actual risk is no as great as you have made out.

To kill us all, to kill everyone on earth the asteroid would have to be huge (we're talking miles long) after it has gone through the atmosphere (so would have to be even bigger before). The realistic threat of this is tiny.

The asteroids that are actually likely to hit the earth will be somewhere is the region of being able to destroy a car to destroying a whole city. However, asteroids big enough to destroy a city are still very uncommon.

The chance of such an asteroid actually hitting a city (cities take up very little of the surface of the earth) is very small.

I have read otherwise.
I have read that, while most asteroids out there pose little threat to the human race, that there are several that could possibly hit earth, that we can do nothing about, and that there are countless numbers of asteroids out there that we have not yet discovered/classified.
I may be completely wrong, but I've read that the threat of asteroid destruction is fully real, and grossly unexplored.
As far as I'm aware, an meteor around half a kilometer on impact will kick up enough dust for long enough to kill most plants?
Page 1 of 2