i just cant come up with a thesis. Its a philosophy ethics class I'm taking in college. we've read books by Kant, Hume, Plato, Heidegger, Kierkegaard, Nietzsche,Foucault, and The Watchmen. Now i have to write a 3-4 paper. No, that's not very long, but i cant come up with a thesis statement. I have a good understanding of the various philosophers I've read, but its like i agree with all of them

can anyone help me out?
I have no idea what you're asking... Do you even know what you want to write about yet?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by SteveHouse
I have no idea what you're asking... Do you even know what you want to write about yet?

Exactly. You need a topic before you come up with a thesis.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by shmoener
how about the death penalty? does that intrest people?

Pretty overdone if you ask me.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by shmoener
i just cant come up with a thesis. Its a philosophy ethics class I'm taking in college. we've read books by Kant, Hume, Plato, Heidegger, Kierkegaard, Nietzsche,Foucault, and The Watchmen. Now i have to write a 3-4 paper. No, that's not very long, but i cant come up with a thesis statement. I have a good understanding of the various philosophers I've read, but its like i agree with all of them

can anyone help me out?

Dude...

I think I'm in your ethics class

Where do you go?
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Damn, well we've seriously gone over Kant, Hume, Plato, Nietzsche, and The Watchmen among some other stuff and have to write a 4 page paper over it due Dec 1. I'm thinking about doing Kant (although I'm so lost on everything in that class). When's yours due? Maybe we can help each other out or something
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

Maybe this is the kind of paper you just Kant do.
Maybe talk about how unethical it was to strip Plato of its planet status?

I'm gonna go huff some gas Humes now.
MATTERHORN
mines due this coming monday Nov. 16th at 3 pm. I'm not worried about getting it done. the hardest part of every paper for me is choosing the topic. However this kind of paper is a little different then an English paper. Yes the death penalty does seem overdone. I'll think of something else for now. I thought about comparing Kant vs Hume's theories of morality. Reason vs sentiment. but how can i choose one without diresctly stating " its better"?
State both sides of the argument and give supporting details. As long as you keep out opinions and list the pros and cons of each it, will be fairly unbiased.
Quote by MakinLattes
what do you people think of the topic " Is moral behavior necessary for happiness?"
Quote by shmoener
what do you people think of the topic " Is moral behavior necessary for happiness?"

Not really a thesis, but yeah it would be a pretty good topic to pick. Lots of stuff to draw from there.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Quote by Gunpowder

is it a thesis if i say it like this? " Moral behavior is necessary for happiness."
I'd help you, but it wouldn't be ethical.
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

Quote by shmoener
is it a thesis if i say it like this? " Moral behavior is necessary for happiness."

yeah
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Quote by Gunpowder

thank you. thats what i'll go with then. It might still essentially be a Hume vs Kant paper. also no one in my class has talked about this yet. i'll be sure to post what kind of grade i get for all you doubters out there. it'll be a week or 2 before i get it back.
Last edited by shmoener at Nov 13, 2009,
Quote by shmoener

It would be, but you might have a bitch of a time defending that.

(This bump brought to you by SteveHouse, wishing you good luck; I'm working on papers myself today.)

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Have you actually read Watchmen? I've read the comics and I've seen the movie.
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a non-working cat. - Douglas Adams
Quote by shmoener

That seems like it would be a better thesis for a psychology class. Especially since it's not really an ethical debate.
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne