Hi this is my first post here. Anyway been playing for about a year and a half and I have a spider III 75 watt (yes I know everyone on here hates them) and I am looking for another guitar amp, hopefully tube. So yeah my birthday and christmas are coming up so I am just looking into what model of amp I should ask for. I like to play hard rock/metal (like most kids my age :P) though if I were to get an amp I would like something with a decent clean channel. The guitars I use are an Ibanez RG3EXFM1 and a Fender Squier '51. (that's the name of the model not the year of the guitar :P). Now this is probably gonna be a birthday/christmas present so I am not looking for amps that cost a fortune. I think 500 is probably gonna be the max my parents would be willing to spend though if there is something just over that that's pretty good let me know.

Anyway some of the amps I have considered are B-52 AT112 and the Peavey 6505 (combo). I have seen video of the b-52's and they sound pretty nice to me, but I have read a lot of reviews saying they are unreliable and break a lot so this had lead to some doubts about them. As for the 6505 the combo version hasn't come out yet (or at least to my knowledge it hasn't) plus it's around 600 bucks on musicians friend which is a bit over budget. My friend says I should get a krank Rev. Jr. head and a marshall cabinet, but I don't really know anything about heads and cabs and I am not even sure if what he wants would work. Sorry I guess I am kinda of a noob to guitar amps and such.

Anyway I would appreciate your opinions on this matter. Thanks ahead of time!
Last edited by Saturis at Nov 13, 2009,
nope dont get the B-52, its not as good as it sounds. it doesnt last long, you would be sooo much more satisfied with the 6505
Gear:
Schecter Omen-6 with EMG 81/85
Peavey Valveking 2x12
Quote by dubes216
good place to look ---> http://www.google.com
Also I would like to add I am up for looking into used gear as well, though in my local area there isn't much of a used selection since most people just sell beginner guitars/ small combo amps that they have lost interest in. Also another amp I must consider is the Peavey 5150 since I have seen some used ones in my price range.
It sounds to me like you want a new amp because people on UG hates Spiders.

I dont know but a 50W or 100W tube amp wont sound good at low volumes even tho its a valve amp.
Quote by ljohn
The thing is, in a band like chickenfoot, think of the JSX as a submarine and the Marshall as a plane. No matter how good the submarine is, it might be the perfect submarine, if you need a plane, a submarine ain't gonna do it for you.
kranks are a different sounding amp, i personally like them.

alot of people dont understand that the sweep knob changes your midrange a bit.

i second the 6505+ combo, the b-52 is a decent valve amp, but the 6505 combo takes the cake.

try the krank out, you may like it(if you can tryt it out)
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Well I notice what most people notice too about the spider plus I have been hearing forever that when I get that chance I should go for a tube (not just from here other just from other guitar players, others websites, etc.) I do like my spiders heavier tones, but the stuff with less gain doesn't really sound as good as I would hope. Also you did make a point worth considering with the wattage. I mean I don't necessarily want a big amp, just something else you know? Also I live in two houses and having 1 amp at each house would be nice instead of taking my spider with me every time I have to go the other house.
Last edited by Saturis at Nov 13, 2009,
Quote by westdyolf
kranks are a different sounding amp, i personally like them.

alot of people dont understand that the sweep knob changes your midrange a bit.

i second the 6505+ combo, the b-52 is a decent valve amp, but the 6505 combo takes the cake.

try the krank out, you may like it(if you can tryt it out)

I also like Kranks, but definitely don't get one without trying it. Most people either love them or hate them.
I have a huge fear if rays.
^ exactly, i just think they sound pretty awesome, but i dont think i would get one for awhile lol
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
You need a Krank Rev Jr Pro.

the Rev Jr standard won't cut it for metal.

Its pretty much a one trick pony. It's downright excellent for metal, and it does all sorts of metal very well... but not so great for everything else. A straight up, balls-to-the-wall metal amp.

Try it first... you either hate it or you like the tone.

If you can figure out the EQ and Sweep knob... it's a great amp. If you can't you're gonna hate the amp. Check in with DrNick... he just got a Rev Jr Pro about a week back and I helped him with understanding the whole amp and how to dial it in.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1227650

here's the thread.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Nov 13, 2009,
Well the krank does look cool and it is worth considering, but it seems a bit out of my price range plus that's only consider the head I would have to spend extra money on a cab. Not trying to sound cheap, but chances are this is going to be birthday/christmas present and I doubt my parents are going to be willing to spend 900 dollars on me. I would save for it, but my job is kind of seasonal and winter months are slow. Now a question I have about the Krank is is it possible to use my spider III as the cab so to speak? Like I have seen my friend plug the output of a little acoustic amp into the input of his spider and kinda worked like a half stack. Is this a good idea?

Also I was just looking on my local craigslist and I found this:http://maine.craigslist.org/msg/1463739996.html
It's not to expensive, so is it worth considering? Thanks again guys for the advice!
Last edited by Saturis at Nov 14, 2009,