http://uk.news.yahoo.com/22/20091113/tpl-uk-food-summit-ban-395bdad.html

UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon will fast for 24 hours to show solidarity with the world's starving and asks others too. i think it's a good idea, i don't why they haven't made a day of this really?

like that earth day bollocks, why not food day? when so many are starving and the first world wastes so much food.
because, me starving myself will not help people who are starving
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
24 hours? That's all? I've heard of semi-large groups doing this for the same reason, but 24 hours hardly seems like anything worth attention.
Quote by JMack
Are you asking if midgets can draw people that are themselves smaller than the average person, or if midget drawings in general are smaller?
Oh that's seriously gonna interfer with my bulking =/

Quote by faint_spirit
24 hours? That's all? I've heard of semi-large groups doing this for the same reason, but 24 hours hardly seems like anything worth attention.

It's symbolic.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
If I don't eat for 24 hours, they still aren't gonna eat for 24 hours, so what's the point?
Besides, a day without out food is not the same as having no food at all.
Main Gear:

ESP Eclipse CTM I
Dean 'Shards' Razorback
Chapman Guitars ML-1
Ibanez AEL40SE Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Small Clone
For people saying it won't help, yeah it won't, but it's symbolic, I really don't know why the hell hungry people care what symbolic things we do though, they want food obviously, no for us to go without. And if we aren't doing it as a symbol to them then it's being for the the wrong reasons and shouldn't be done at all.
well it seems cynical people do not understand the word solidarity.

since the food conference is taking place in Rome attention should also be brought to the subject of the world's starving.

besides in theory the price of food would drop if no one in the western world ate for one day, i am just saying.
Quote by imthehitcher

since the food conference is taking place in Rome attention should also be brought to the subject of the world's starving.

besides in theory the price of food would drop if no one in the western world ate for one day, i am just saying.

.....Please, take one simple economics class. This is completely false.

I'm not saying it's not a nice gesture. I just think that one day without food is more mockery than anything else. We go right back to the way we were before, and 24 hours is hardly enough to make me feel hungry. That's just my opinion, though.
Quote by JMack
Are you asking if midgets can draw people that are themselves smaller than the average person, or if midget drawings in general are smaller?
Quote by faint_spirit
.....Please, take one simple economics class. This is completely false.

I'm not saying it's not a nice gesture. I just think that one day without food is more mockery than anything else. We go right back to the way we were before, and 24 hours is hardly enough to make me feel hungry. That's just my opinion, though.

so if demand disappaered prices would remain? it was only a hyperthetical

and my point as stated was not to benefit you or anyone but symbolic and if a big deal was made of it bring attention to the fact some 4000 children die per hour due to starvation
I don't think Starvin' Marvin' in Ethiopia really gives a rat's ass if you don't eat for a day or not. All it does is make people feel better about themselves while not making any real change.
Quote by Spitz13
**** you, i live in uruguay.
Quote by imthehitcher

and my point as stated was not to benefit you or anyone but symbolic and if a big deal was made of it bring attention to the fact some 4000 children die per hour due to starvation

If demand disappeared for one day, prices wouldn't change much. Also, please use a browser with spell check.
Quote by Spitz13
Quote by jetfuel495
It could open your eyes to their suffering, in turn making you more sympathetic towards the cause. Then you might actually care enough to try to help.

Or it could distort your perception of how bad starvation actually is because not eating for a day really isn't that big of a deal.
Quote by Spitz13
Quote by imthehitcher

Pretty much what the last guy said holds true. Even short-term effects are extremely small.

I never believed it would benefit anyone. I just think if someone were serious about bringing attention to it, fasting for more than 24 hours would be a better way of doing so.
Quote by JMack
Quote by imthehitcher

LOL.

People would still have to buy food eventually. Probably the next day. Compound that with the fact that people don't necessarily buy food everyday anyway. Food retailers aren't going to go "Holy crap, no one bought food today! LIQUIDATION SALE!" because they know that sales will continue very soon.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
I do a 30Hr famine every year, 24 hours is nothing.
Gear I Want:
-Boss GEB-7
-Boss LMB-3
-Boss CEB-3
-Korg Pitchblack
-Boss ODB-3
-Fender Road Worn 50s Precision Bass

Gear I Have:
-Peavey Millennium BXP =]
SWR WorkingPro 2x10C =D
Try a 24 day fast instead, that might make a point. 24 hours is nothing.
Keeping it real since '92
I'll admit I didn't have a good point at all and I just wanted to use this thread as an excuse to bring up Starvin' Marvin'. I apologize.
Quote by Spitz13
Quote by littlephil
Do the 48 Hour Famine instead.

It's called the 40 hour famine in Australia. I think it's run by unicef.

Basically you collect sponsors to sponsor you to not eat for 40 hours, but some pussies do things like no furniture and no technology for 40 hours.

24 hours is weak.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER