Hi, I'm the leader of my band 'Black Squire'. We are a 3 piece band, I'm the singer/guitarist. Anyway...my bass player always looks so bored when we play. Like he doesnt care. I know most bass players dont always look like there having fun but my bass player uses his thumbs to push the frets sometimes or plays his bass like a 'table' guitar.
All the songs I write have easy bass in them but I told him that he could change it if he wanted but he didnt.
So my question is.....What do I do?

Thanks
**** him in the ass while you suck on the clit

**mod edit - WTF? warned.... **
Either stress that he can write the bass lines or kick him out, cause it sounds like he doesn't want to be there.
As long as he can play the bass, it's all good.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by iwannabesedated
Play a Rancid cover. Then he'll beg you to go back to being bored.

I forgot that Matt Freeman is the only good bass player ever. But tell your bass player to put his excess concentration into stage energy. Have him jump around and be super entertaining and urge him to play more complicated bass lines.
Between the Buried and Me is ****en terrible tell him to learn some Victor Wooten or Racer X they ****en rule
Quote by PJ=Metal
Between the Buried and Me is ****en terrible tell him to learn some Victor Wooten or Racer X they ****en rule

your fuken terrible Just cause you dont like BTBAM you dont need to give them shit those guys have serious skill
Dan The Man Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians Only

Gear Fund 1000/ ???

Yes his name is Dan
What is this the pit?
GTFO NOOBS
Perhaps you should encourage him to play some things that arent just root note basslines, listen to some artists who really can play the bass guitar. I recommend introducing him to some Rush, Cliff-era Metallica, and Yes. He's not ready for stanley clarke. HES NOT READY
Well... help him change his parts I guess. He might be motivated to change them further once you gave him the right motivation.

Maybe check out some crazy funk and disco patterns that might spark his interest. Hop eit work sout for you guys though.
If he's still playing then he probably still cares.

Just try and make the bass lines more difficult.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Quote by PJ=Metal

lol Racer X

the amount of fail in that sentence... just wow

If a bassline is easy, I find it's a lot easier to flip out while playing. It's so much harder just to stand there starin' off if I am playing root notes. Ask him why he's not enjoying himself. Because he's not.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
Last edited by NakedBassist at Nov 14, 2009,
Try and get on bigger stages. Battles of the Bands, etc.. I know I kick myself up at least ten notches in terms of stage presence when there are more people to play for. Also, remind him that people go to SEE a band, not to hear them. If the bass line suits the song, he can suck it up and play it and look like he's enjoying it. It's not his duty as the bass player to entertain himself, it's his duty to support the song.

EDIT: Also, if he's only doing this at practice, don't stress about it. I never put the same energy I put into performances into practices, there's just no point.
Last edited by Copius at Nov 14, 2009,
WTF??!!

Is this the pit?

I was going to lock this, but instead, I'll keep it open and give people enough rope to hang themselves.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I say write better basslines, or maybe don't write a bassline at all, just show him what you've got going on, throw him some ideas, and see what he comes up with. you could also try writing a song that has some parts where the bass really stands out, make the bassline interesting and have the guitars playing something really simple to give him the light.