I was just wondering...

To make a recording played with an electric acoustic guitar, would it be better to record using the internal microphone that is inside the guitar or to record using a good external one? What's the professionals' choice?

Thanks,
LD
Whichever sounds best.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by willieturnip
Whichever sounds best.

That's what I am trying to find out . I just would like to know people's preference. In your experience, which one sounds better?

I mean if you are in a well equipped studio and you're using a good electric acoustic guitar, would you use the internal microphone within the guitar or an external one?
Quote by ld_pvl
That's what I am trying to find out . I just would like to know people's preference. In your experience, which one sounds better?

I mean if you are in a well equipped studio and you're using a good electric acoustic guitar, would you use the internal microphone within the guitar or an external one?

Can't say with a *good electro*, but I'd mike it for mine...pickup in it is pathetic
External most of the time.

I can only recall one instance that I have D.I'd an acoustic right into a desk and that was after trying everything else first. The mic'd takes just wouldn't mix and no mic/pre change would solve the problem.

I have put an acoustic through an amp and mic'd the amp before, but that was to get niton (old school chicken shack piece of shit awesome) tone. It was with a 58 of all things too.

Stranger things have happened I suppose..
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
How do you record the sound from electric instruments like electric guitars, keyboards, etc? Do you use an external mic to record the sound coming out from the amps and speakers?
I prefer a mix of a ribbon mic near the bridge and a DI signal.

Quote by ld_pvl
How do you record the sound from electric instruments like electric guitars, keyboards, etc? Do you use an external mic to record the sound coming out from the amps and speakers?

for guitars you usually mic the amp, keyboards are usually DI, bass can be done either way or with a mix between the two (once again my preferred method most of the time
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Nov 14, 2009,
My Ibanez has an xlr and it is friggin awesome to use for recording direct, but if you have to record with an external mic the mic will probably effect the sound quality alot make sure you use one ment to do that kind of thing
I would do both (at the same time if possible, in fact if you can't do it at the same time don't bother) then fade them in and out until you get a mix you like. That's how I did my last project.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite