Basically my band has been playing a song that is heavily based on a demo kurt cobain recorded, the song was never released or anything it's just a really rough demo. I'm wondering if people think it would be ok to play the song as a part of our set as long as we make it clear that it's based off something cobain wrote? Bear in mind thats it's not a straight cover as we've changed the arrangement about a bit and added a couple of parts to it.
Gear:

Fender Jaguar Bass
Ashdown MAG300H Head
Ashdown 410 T Deep Cab
Epiphone Thunderbird
Squier P/J Bass
SKAK20BA Practice Bass Amp
Go for it. It's paying homage if anything. I'm listening to Nirvana right now.
I AM MASTER OF JIGGLYPUFF.

Current Gear:
Gibson Boneyard with Bigsby
Gibson 93' Explorer W/Nailbombs
G&L 93' Legacy W/Noiseless
Gibson 95' Doublecut W/Angus Bridge

Mesa Stiletto Trident
Bogner Shiva
Mesa 2x12 & 4x12 Cabs
Since it's been recorded, Cobain's estate owns the copyright.

So if you copy the melody and somebody catches on to it, it could lead to trouble.
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.
Well, it's not like Kurt can be pissed at you.

From an artistic standpoint it might be worth it to mention him, but meh. It's not like he's a god and you shall be struck down if you don't.
Legally, though, you probably have to add 'based on a song by Kurt Cobain' or something like that, or else you could get sued. I'm not 100% sure on whether you have to, and how much altered makes it not a cover anymore, but I would put that on just to be safe.
Gear I Want:
-Boss GEB-7
-Boss LMB-3
-Boss CEB-3
-Korg Pitchblack
-Boss ODB-3
-Fender Road Worn 50s Precision Bass

Gear I Have:
-Peavey Millennium BXP =]
SWR WorkingPro 2x10C =D
Quote by Chikao42
Since it's been recorded, Cobain's estate owns the copyright.

So if you copy the melody and somebody catches on to it, it could lead to trouble.

Cobain's estate?

So that would cancel out any mechanical license (or whatever) the venue has?

If it doesn't, go for it, just say it's based on a Cobain song.
As far I understand, if you're playing at any sort of venue, the people who own it have paid for a license to let people play covers and whatnot. This would mean that any cover or "homage" should be fine.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
I think as long as you give the original composer of the song credit your ok. Bands cover songs all the time in live performances, shouldn't be a big deal.
Gear
Epiphone Les Paul
Cheap Acoustic
Marshall MG10
Peavy TNT130

Quote by Ripper_66
Basically my band has been playing a song that is heavily based on a demo kurt cobain recorded, the song was never released or anything it's just a really rough demo. I'm wondering if people think it would be ok to play the song as a part of our set as long as we make it clear that it's based off something cobain wrote? Bear in mind thats it's not a straight cover as we've changed the arrangement about a bit and added a couple of parts to it.

The issue here isn't that you're covering an unreleased Nirvana song, it's that you're covering a Nirvana song.

GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by Weeping_Demon7
The issue here isn't that you're covering an unreleased Nirvana song, it's that you're covering a Nirvana song.

lol I'm quite surprised no one said anything like that sooner
Gear:

Fender Jaguar Bass
Ashdown MAG300H Head
Ashdown 410 T Deep Cab
Epiphone Thunderbird
Squier P/J Bass
SKAK20BA Practice Bass Amp
Quote by denfilade
Cobain's estate?

So that would cancel out any mechanical license (or whatever) the venue has?

If it doesn't, go for it, just say it's based on a Cobain song.

The venue will have an (I don't know about the US) MCPS and/or PRS license to allow them to play music and have bands play covers.

If these guys record this song and make money off it, then if whoever is in charge of Kurt's estate and all his copyrights finds out, the band would have to pay the copyright of the melody, not the copyright of the recording (the mechanicals).

Basically:

You've got the song... 2 copyrights, the band keeps the copyright for the recording, Love gets the copyright of the melody.

Of course, there's every possibility that nobody finds out and you make both.
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.