So, i just watched a live video of the Floods solo, and it seems that he's not even touching his whammy bar during the squeals in the start - I've always thought that you needed to perform some sort of advanced pinch harmonic whammy trick.
Is he just bending like hell?
those are pinch harmonics just bent....in that particular solo he unleashes pinches from hell haha

If you want a video teaching you how to do the squeals with a whammy bar, check out my video

www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh

Browse through my vids, there is one where I teach you how to Dime squeal! Have fun bro
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
you dont need to use the whammy bar

hes just doing pinch, or artificial harmonics.

you must be thinking of whammy harmonics which are kind of like natural harmonics but played at 3 17 and 19? im not sure, you need a floyd expert for details.
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Are you talking about the harmonics in the early parts of the solo or the crazy horsey one at the very end?

The harmonics early in the solo are just pinch harmonics. If you're talking about the one at the end, I'm fairly certain you can't do something like that without touching the bar, so watch the video more closely!
^ trust the dude with dime in his name...

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
for the true dime harmonic u need a floyed or edge trem.... you dump the bar down pretty far so the strings kinda mute and while doing so flick of on the g string and tap a hamonic really anywhere you can find one but the 5 and 7 frets are the easiest they pull the bar up and go crazy with it it.....
i liek the higher ones, and isnt 7 a natural harmonic?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
ironmaiden's right...again...watch my vid if you want a video explanation. Dime's famous super high one is a 2 1/2 fret harmonic (between 2nd and 3rd fret..duh haha). It's hard to catch but absolutely ear splitting when you do
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Quote by RockInPeaceDime
Are you talking about the harmonics in the early parts of the solo or the crazy horsey one at the very end?

The harmonics early in the solo are just pinch harmonics. If you're talking about the one at the end, I'm fairly certain you can't do something like that without touching the bar, so watch the video more closely!

The ones in the start, thanks tho.
Quote by chuckmehh
those are pinch harmonics just bent....in that particular solo he unleashes pinches from hell haha

If you want a video teaching you how to do the squeals with a whammy bar, check out my video

www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh

Browse through my vids, there is one where I teach you how to Dime squeal! Have fun bro

Will check it out, thanks.
Quote by Kexmeister
The ones in the start, thanks tho.

yeah. definitely pinches then...Dime was the man; pinches that nasty are hard to replicate
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
not really... i find pinch harmonics pretty easy

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Quote by westdyolf

yeah I don't think pinches are hard either (check the MP3 skill on my profile...they're pretty sick ) but...I do think that replicating Dime's is difficult...his are just better than average pinches haha his tone and technique makes them very distinguishable...especially in the beginning of the Floods solo TS is talking about
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Quote by chuckmehh
yeah I don't think pinches are hard either (check the MP3 skill on my profile...they're pretty sick ) but...I do think that replicating Dime's is difficult...his are just better than average pinches haha his tone and technique makes them very distinguishable...especially in the beginning of the Floods solo TS is talking about

yeah your pinches sound just like mine, i think they sound epic as hell, what tuning were you drop c#? and yeah Dimebag had a very distingushible sound.

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
pinch harmonic is one thing.

the big natural harmonic squels need a whammy bar.

Although i've never been able tp pull one off at the 2 1/2 fret, even with a sustainer in the loop. Right around 3 or 3-1/2 i have tho, and it sounds exactly the same as dimes (esp when in his tuning)
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by westdyolf
yeah your pinches sound just like mine, i think they sound epic as hell, what tuning were you drop c#? and yeah Dimebag had a very distingushible sound.

thanks bro! I don't remember what tuning I was in to be honest. Straight drop C I think.
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Go for the man who invented the pinch harmonic, Roy Buchanan. He sounds even badassier.
The action always made a difference for me (at least I think so). My first guitar was a $350 Ibanez that I never had professionally set up and the action was really high; I always found it difficult to really get clean, sustaining pinch harmonics on it. Recently, I got a ESP MH-1000 and the action is much lower on it; I hit pinch harmonics pretty much wherever I want with relative ease. This could be a combination of things, I suppose.

And this goes without saying, I imagine: Make sure your picking the harmonic at the right point on the string. Depending on where you pick the string, you're going to get different sounding harmonics.

Quote by westdyolf

They're not hard, but I think the point he was making was more one of replicating Dime's playing isn't easy. Frankly impossible in my opinion. Of course, there are a number of guitarists I feel that way about -- they wouldn't be on pedestals if they were a piece of cake to replicate.
Last edited by RockInPeaceDime at Nov 13, 2009,
Wow, that's awesome. It took me 10 minutes and a now very out of tune guitar, but I can do the whammy harmonics fairly well. I just need to work on the volume a little more.
Quote by Dregen
Wow, that's awesome. It took me 10 minutes and a now very out of tune guitar, but I can do the whammy harmonics fairly well. I just need to work on the volume a little more.

glad I could help (if you're referring to my video of course )
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables