Something I haven't seen covered here(doesn't mean it isn't here maybe I didn't look hard enough)

Take any chord that isn't fretted on all six strings (preferably one with a voicing to your taste) Use the same fretting but lower or raise each tone by one string. Lowering one string will lower chord by a 4th, raising one string will raise by a 4th

Ex: (sorry for the crude diagram) key: |---|---|---|< frets x=fingering
...........................................................^ strings

simple maj7 triad, omitting the 5th tone(1 3 7)

I chord (root on low E)......IV chord(root on A string )
Gmaj7.............................C maj7
e|---|---|---|......................|---|---|---|
b|---|---|---|......................|---|---|---|
g|---|---|---|......................|---|---|-x-|........ C(V) is a 4th away from G(I)
d|---|---|-x-|.....................|-x-|---|---|
a|-x|---.|---|.....................|---|-x-|---|
e|---|-x-|---|.....................|---|---|---|
.......^. ...............................^
........3rd fret...................... still 3rd fret

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Simple m7 triad, omitting the 5th (1 b3 7)

......ii chord................ v chord
.....Bbm...........................Ebm
|---|---|---|................|---|---|---|
|---|---|---|................|---|---|---|
|---|---|---|................|---|---|-x-|.........Eb(v) is a 4th away from Bb(ii)
|---|---|-x-|................|-x|---|---|
|-x-|---|---|................|--.|--.|-x-|
|---|---|-x-|................|--.|---|---|

i chord
Abm
|---|---|---|---|
|---|---|---|-x-|
|-x-|--.|---|---|
|---|---|-x-|---|................Ab(i) is a 4th away from Eb(v)
|---|---|---|---|
|---|---|---|---|

Notice upon arriving on the 2nd string or B string, fretting must be moved UP 1 fret.
This method can be used with other, more complex(and better sounding) chords, but take note you must still HARMONIZE each chord.

hope you found this useful and not too confusing
Last edited by Themann810 at Nov 13, 2009,
Tune your top two strings to C and F, and the shapes stay the same on all the strings, and you can move any chord up a string, without changing the frets, and you'll get the same quality chord up a fourth. That's a good thing about tuning with equal intervals, and it makes sense that tuning in fourth will result in these chords moving a fourth. I think most people already know this, but its a cool thing to realize about guitar nonetheless.
Last edited by isaac_bandits at Nov 14, 2009,
Quote by isaac_bandits
Tune your top two strings to C and E, and the shapes stay the same on all the strings, and you can move any chord up a string, without changing the frets, and you'll get the same quality chord up a fourth. That's a good thing about tuning with equal intervals, and it makes sense that tuning in fourth will result in these chords moving a fourth. I think most people already know this, but its a cool thing to realize about guitar nonetheless.
Do you mean C and F? If you left the first string at E, there's still going to be a third there instead of a fourth.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by food1010
Do you mean C and F? If you left the first string at E, there's still going to be a third there instead of a fourth.

Yes my mistake.
Yeah, I do this all the time when I'm just playing around with chord progressions.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid