I'm really not sure if this belongs in this section as I'm not sure if it is to do with my guitar or the rest of my gear.

I purchased a lovely Fender American Standard Strat a while ago following the advice of this very forum and have been absolutely in love with it. Plays lovely, neck just fits to my hand so perfectly it's wonderful and I have never been so happy with a guitar.

Now my amp and effects aren't exactly top quality, I have a Cube 80x a boss me-50 pedal board and a boss OS-2 OVerdrive/distortion.

Even with that amp playing clean on that guitar sounds like a dream. I just LOVE the sound of it. I can always get exactly the tone I want out of it. Well, within the confines of this amp. Obviously it would sound a whole lot better on a really good tube amp.

But when I kick in the distortion or overdrive it kind of falls apart... I've been using the distortion on the OS-2 because the me-50's just sounds waaaay too digital and I've been using the compressor, phaser and delay on the me-50. I can dial it in so I get a reasonable crunchy sort of rhythm sound which isn't EXACTLY what I want but it sounds pretty bright clear and reasonable. But I cannot for the life of me get a decent lead tone. I just get this quack in everything I do. I know that's sort of what strats are known for and I LOVE the cleans with that bit of strat personality... But I just do not want quack in my distorted solos.

Is it just something I'm going to have to put up with? Do I maybe need to change out a bridge pickup? Is it just the fact that the rest of my gear sucks or is it my crappy eqing? I've been trying lots of different settings but just when I think I've sorted it out I realise I've screwed something else up or it's actually still there.

Another thing is that with the bridge pickup selected it sometimes sounds a little distorted (not the good distortion, like turning up a crappy radio too high) and it ruins the nice feel. This doesn't really happen very often at all as I don't tend to use the pickup in that way but occasionaly I do get that little bit of crackle.

Not a major deal, but if anyone could give me a hint on how to conquer my distorted quack I'll love them forever.
  • Fender American Standard Stratocaster
  • Ibanez RGD2127z
  • Yamaha Acoustic
  • Cort Bass

• Laney LC30
Quote by kLinic
I'm really not sure if this belongs in this section as I'm not sure if it is to do with my guitar or the rest of my gear.

I purchased a lovely Fender American Standard Strat a while ago following the advice of this very forum and have been absolutely in love with it. Plays lovely, neck just fits to my hand so perfectly it's wonderful and I have never been so happy with a guitar.

Now my amp and effects aren't exactly top quality, I have a Cube 80x a boss me-50 pedal board and a boss OS-2 OVerdrive/distortion.

Even with that amp playing clean on that guitar sounds like a dream. I just LOVE the sound of it. I can always get exactly the tone I want out of it. Well, within the confines of this amp. Obviously it would sound a whole lot better on a really good tube amp.

But when I kick in the distortion or overdrive it kind of falls apart... I've been using the distortion on the OS-2 because the me-50's just sounds waaaay too digital and I've been using the compressor, phaser and delay on the me-50. I can dial it in so I get a reasonable crunchy sort of rhythm sound which isn't EXACTLY what I want but it sounds pretty bright clear and reasonable. But I cannot for the life of me get a decent lead tone. I just get this quack in everything I do. I know that's sort of what strats are known for and I LOVE the cleans with that bit of strat personality... But I just do not want quack in my distorted solos.

Is it just something I'm going to have to put up with? Do I maybe need to change out a bridge pickup? Is it just the fact that the rest of my gear sucks or is it my crappy eqing? I've been trying lots of different settings but just when I think I've sorted it out I realise I've screwed something else up or it's actually still there.

Another thing is that with the bridge pickup selected it sometimes sounds a little distorted (not the good distortion, like turning up a crappy radio too high) and it ruins the nice feel. This doesn't really happen very often at all as I don't tend to use the pickup in that way but occasionaly I do get that little bit of crackle.

Not a major deal, but if anyone could give me a hint on how to conquer my distorted quack I'll love them forever.

When you say "quacky" do you mean the Wah kinda quacky?
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
Its a strat.
Maybe u should change ur bridge pickup to some kind of single-coil sized humbucker pickup.
But I dont have many experience with single coil pickups anyway...so dont listen to me :P
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
First of, congrats! I always like to hear people say they got the 'right' guitar, and not just a 'new' guitar.

The problem is definitely your amp. Your amp is distorting on the bridge pickup because it is wound hotter to compensate for the lower string movement near the bridge. The 'quack' is also amp-related. Most nicer guitars have better pickups and wiring that transmit more signal from pickup to amp (both in terms of output and dynamic range), and the quack is most likely a result of the amp farting out ever so slightly.

Once you have a little bit bigger amp, or a better stompbox, or both, I have no doubt that the quack will stop.

If you like little amps, I strongly recommend any of the Fender Princetons or Champs. I'm a huge fan of small amps running hot (rather than big amps running cold), and I can tell you that your Strat will sound gorgeous through whichever one of those amps fits your budget. Even the little Champ 600 is great for the money.
Quote by jean_genie
First of, congrats! I always like to hear people say they got the 'right' guitar, and not just a 'new' guitar.

The problem is definitely your amp. Your amp is distorting on the bridge pickup because it is wound hotter to compensate for the lower string movement near the bridge. The 'quack' is also amp-related. Most nicer guitars have better pickups and wiring that transmit more signal from pickup to amp (both in terms of output and dynamic range), and the quack is most likely a result of the amp farting out ever so slightly.

Once you have a little bit bigger amp, or a better stompbox, or both, I have no doubt that the quack will stop.

If you like little amps, I strongly recommend any of the Fender Princetons or Champs. I'm a huge fan of small amps running hot (rather than big amps running cold), and I can tell you that your Strat will sound gorgeous through whichever one of those amps fits your budget. Even the little Champ 600 is great for the money.

D: My amp is farting out? I would have thought the 80-X would be big enough for reasonably quiet home practice. :/ I haven't gigged with it yet so I haven't tried it out with any bigger amps. I will make an effort to take it to a store and test it on a bigger amp. And possibly check out those ones you suggested. Although getting a new amp will be out of my budget for a while I think. :/

Thanks for the congrats on the guitar too. :P It's awesome, definitely, for me at least, the best guitar I've played.

Quote by Tokai09
When you say "quacky" do you mean the Wah kinda quacky?

Yeah, kind of a bit sharper and faster though. Kind of more twangy I guess?
  • Ibanez RGD2127z
  • Yamaha Acoustic
  • Cort Bass

• Laney LC30
Last edited by kLinic at Nov 13, 2009,
Try using the distorted channels on your cube, and use an external delay. The cube really sounds pretty good. I have a 30x and to get a decent tone you don't have to mess with it too much. I think you are over-complicating it with unnecessary gear. Keep it simple. Try the R-FIER channel for a high gain lead.
Last edited by Petrucciowns at Nov 13, 2009,
Are you running your OD through mains or battery?
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
Quote by jean_genie

+1
Quote by Petrucciowns
Try using the distorted channels on your cube, and use an external delay. The cube really sounds pretty good. I have a 30x and to get a decent tone you don't have to mess with it too much. I think you are over-complicating it with unnecessary gear. Keep it simple. Try the R-FIER channel for a high gain lead.

That's possible I guess. I originally only used the distortion on the me-50 because I only had a footswitch for the looper and I didn't have a second one for chanel switching. Then I added my old OS-2 because the distortion on the ME-50 was just terrible.

Quote by Tokai09
Are you running your OD through mains or battery?

The OD and the pedalboard are both running on power adapters.
  • Ibanez RGD2127z
  • Yamaha Acoustic
  • Cort Bass

• Laney LC30