Do you guys count while you play? And if so do you only count the played notes or do you keep like a 1-e-and-a thing going on? I counted all the time when I played bass in orchestra, but I had sheet music in front of me the whole time. I've been practicing trying to do it for my guitar, and I mess up a lot on like dotted eighth rests and such, and I have no idea how you'd do it if you were straight up shredding at like 200bpm. Not that I'm there or even close. I know to go slow and all that good stuff, I'm just wondering how many people do it, how they do it, and if you think it's worth it.
I don't count, I tap my foot, It just something I prefer to do. If I play fast, I count in my head, or just go with the flow. Because if I play something fast, I've been practicing it for a while & know it like the back of my hand
A good song should make you wanna tap your foot and get with your girl. A great song should destroy cop cars and set fire to the suburbs. I'm only interested in writing great songs.
i count all the time because i play progressive stuff that changes between alot of time signatures, so it helps to count in your head to make sure you're playing properly, especialy because i don't play with a drummer/metronome. even when shredding (usually 16th notes at 180-240+ bpm) i still try to count the time signatures whether accompanied or not.
Most of the time I just tap my foot. I'll count quarter notes if I've got a long rest in what I'm playing, like several bars (like ONE-2-3-4, TWO-2-3-4, THREE-2-3-4 for each bar) I'll count subdivisions if I'm learning something that's rhythmically tricky - at least until I have it down by feel.
I don't know how it is for other people, but to play something at 200bpm, I have to have it pretty 100% muscle memory in order to do that. I'll learn the rhythm of it at slower tempos, and when I have it down, then playing it fast is kind of like "do the same thing but faster" - you don't really think (or have time to) about counting it - at least the subdivisions, you can still count quarter notes at that speed if you need to.
Last edited by se012101 at Nov 14, 2009,
I can count in my head and tap my foot, but for the most part I have a good enough sense of timing that, regardless of time signature or tempo, I can play something that's either slow or fast without really needing to count.. as long as it's within my skill level, but that's a given. That's not to say I do that all the time though. I wouldn't recommend that anyways, it's just something that I end up doing.
Quote by theogonia777
i count all the time because i play progressive stuff that changes between alot of time signatures, so it helps to count in your head to make sure you're playing properly, especialy because i don't play with a drummer/metronome. even when shredding (usually 16th notes at 180-240+ bpm) i still try to count the time signatures whether accompanied or not.

I want to see a movie of you playing 16th notes at 240+ bpm.

On topic, I don't count ever... I just have this basic rhythm in my head, and if I know a song I don't have to count. I just play and it works out
I never really count, I just try to feel out the beat. I can just tell when something is on time and when it is not. If I can't nail the rhythm I just practice it over and over again untill it fits in.

It is a matter of feeling for me, not a matter of conscious thought.
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.