I'm planning on doing some major renovations to my guitar, and I'm getting my electrical-engineer of a brother-in-law to assist me. One thing that he brought to the table was that increasing the size of the electronics cavity or adding additional ones would change the resonance of the guitar (he was implying "for the worse"). Since some major guitarists customize their own guitars, including placing the relatively large screen of a Kaoss Pad into their guitars, I can't believe that this would adversely affect tone at any noticeable level. Thoughts?
I would say it adds more resonance.
It costs a bunch more money, to get a chambered guitar, rather than a solid-body guitar.

I've seen an ad for one in GP magazine, and the whole guitar was pretty much routed out, in small strips, and squares, and circles, with some cross-bars left. They just either put a Top on, or a Back(Correct terms?).
Putting a top on is more popular that a Back, because they put Tops using Exquisite woods, like Flamed Maple, and other Exotic woods(Can't think of any now)

I personally think chambering makes a guitar warmer sounding, and more fat.

However, I think putting a Kaoss pad in, would reduce resonance, seeing as it's adding a big hunk of plastic and metal into your guitar(Never saw this before).
..I was watching my death.
Well the thing is, most people who stuff their guitar full of electronics are using enough effects that you wouldn't be able to notice a change that small through their rigs.

If you're running your guitar straight into your amp or using just one or 2 very subtle effects then you may notice a slight difference in sound and maybe a tiny decrease in sustain.

Realistically though, you won't notice a thing.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
Last edited by wiliscool at Nov 13, 2009,
Quote by timbit2006
However, I think putting a Kaoss pad in, would reduce resonance, seeing as it's adding a big hunk of plastic and metal into your guitar(Never saw this before).

It's not actually a kaoss pad in the guitar, it's a Midi X-Y control pad that controls a kaoss pad somewhere on the ground.
you played us

as both a cancer and a cure
Squier Tele Custom
Laney TF300
Unless you're talking pool routing out half of your guitar, I doubt you're going to be able to tell the difference. Yes, wood affects tone, but in the end of things a little bit of wood isn't going to make much of a difference on an electric.

You aren't going to notice it unless you're turning the thing into a semi hollow.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
More wood = more tone. It obviously isn't as simple as that, and there are acoustic issues with it all, but I reckon that's a pretty good guide for when it comes to hard-modding your guitar. If you're on the fence, I say don't do it: just buy the pedal effects for the sound that you want.
Quote by kenan6346
just buy the pedal effects for the sound that you want.

No silly! The X-Y pad controls the effects for the sound TS wants.
Thanks a lot guys! It's as I presumed - the change would be small enough to write off. I don't actually intend to put a kaoss pad in my guitar, since I'm not Matt Bellamy, but I had several ideas for several fun objects!

Thanks again!