Alright, so here's the deal. I've been playing guitar for about five months. I learned barre chords a couple months ago and have practiced with much effort to nail down F-shaped Barre Chords (Barre chords with the middle finger off and applying pressure with the middle finger on the index finger) and I cannot get the hang of it, I am able to do other barre chords such as E-shaped barre chords, so I was confused why I wasn't able to get the hang of these. Before I strum the chord, I hit each string, I don't have any problems until I reach the G string (no pun intended) which is giving me the most problems. When I hit it, it sounds muted, and makes a "scratchy" noise, as a result the chord does not sound good at all when I strum it. All other strings I can hit, no problem. I asked my guitar teacher about it, and he told me to make sure I was applying the correct pressure and I am! Anyway, can anybody help me out or give me some tips? Please and thank you in advance.
e shaped and f shaped barre chords are the same thing arent they? just keep practising, your fingers will get stronger eventualy
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
Quote by bellamy_morello
e shaped and f shaped barre chords are the same thing arent they? just keep practising, your fingers will get stronger eventualy

E-shaped Barre Chords have the middle finger on the fretboard, F-Shaped Barre Chords are where you take the middle finger off the fretboard and you use it to apply pressure on top of the index finger (barring finger) if I believe correctly. If I'm wrong, let me know.
Quote by Jackal17
E-shaped Barre Chords have the middle finger on the fretboard, F-Shaped Barre Chords are where you take the middle finger off the fretboard and you use it to apply pressure on top of the index finger (barring finger) if I believe correctly. If I'm wrong, let me know.

Actually the middle finger is on the 2nd fret of the G string. The index is all on its lonesome and if you're fingers aren't strong enough, it's perfectly normal to have trouble with this chord haha. I cheat and go D standard, capo on 2nd fret
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
You're thinking of F minor, F major is with the middle finger on the G string
There's no such thing as an F shaped barre chord - even the "open" F chord people tend to learn is nothing more than the the top 4 notes of an E-shaped barre chord.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
It's actually an E-shaped barre chord, and if your middle finger isn't on the G string then that (probably) makes it a minor chord, not an F-shaped chord.
...I like metal.
F-Shaped Barre Chords are where you take the middle finger off the fretboard and you use it to apply pressure on top of the index finger (barring finger)

Eesh, don't get in the habit of doing that. It's really bad for your hands and can hurt your playing later on.