I'm absolutely entranced by the riffs and licks BTBAM and Protest the Hero use, and I'm interested in learning similarly styled riffs and licks (albeit at a much lower level than those guys, haha). Are there any websites with tabs, or suggestions towards what scales I should use to come up with my own?
Lydian Mode. Most progressive-sounding mode in the world.

EDIT:
For a heavier progressive sound, try Phyrigian Mode.
Quote by Skullbolt
banned cause yeah:

It's between you, user_nameless, me, and my split personality
I like kittens
SHUT UP NO ONE ASKED YOU!

Proud member of the UG Shred Mafia. P.M. godofshred to join.

"Do you practice UG Blackism? W e do."

PAROXYSM.
Last edited by user_nameless at Nov 13, 2009,
Scales do not make something progressive. Arrangement, song structure, and often technicality do.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Scales do not make something progressive. Arrangement, song structure, and often technicality do.

I know that - but the two bands I mentioned have a distinct style to their licks. And thanks, User_Nameless.
Quote by FlyingPirahna
I know that - but the two bands I mentioned have a distinct style to their licks. And thanks, User_Nameless.

What I said still applies. Scales do not make the sound for you. How you use them does. Experiment. Learn some theory, learn their songs, and figure out what their doing. Saying, "Yeah man, use the harmonic minor scale," teaches you nothing.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Remember, it's all about phrasing. Scales mean nothing. They are a set of notes. You can write death metal in the major key if you phrase it right.