I'm designing a guitar with a CAD program and I found myself with some measurement problems. First does nut width mean the width from one side of the nut to the other or from E to e? If a compound neck radius goes from 10-16" where does it hit 16? The 22nd fret? The last fret whether that is the 22nd or not? The bridge? Does the fretboard usually follow the contour of the neck? Like if I have a C shaped neck and an ebony fretboard does the fretboard have parallel edges, as if it was placed on top after the neck was carved, or are they rounded in accordance with the contour as if the entire neck was contoured as one piece?

Thanks for any information guys. I know these are some crazy specific questions.
nut width is from one end of the nut to the other, i have no clue on the compound radius and im not really sure what u are asking with the last question. i hope that kinda helped.
he's asking if the fret board is flat on the sides or if it follows the contour of the neck

I have seen it both ways.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Quote by angusfan911
I'm designing a guitar with a CAD program and I found myself with some measurement problems. First does nut width mean the width from one side of the nut to the other or from E to e? If a compound neck radius goes from 10-16" where does it hit 16? The 22nd fret? The last fret whether that is the 22nd or not? The bridge? Does the fretboard usually follow the contour of the neck? Like if I have a C shaped neck and an ebony fretboard does the fretboard have parallel edges, as if it was placed on top after the neck was carved, or are they rounded in accordance with the contour as if the entire neck was contoured as one piece?

Thanks for any information guys. I know these are some crazy specific questions.

For the compound radius, ask yourself..."Why do I want a compound radius?".

If you don't know what it is for, how do you expect to work out where to put it?

If you do know what it is for, then I would expect you would know that the flatter, 16 inch radius is most useful on the upper frets where you might do a number of bends...
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
I know what a compound radius is and how it works. My question is just where exactly it hits the 16 inch mark so I can design it correctly in my model. I decided to put it at the 22nd fret anyway. Thanks guys.