Hello fellow UGers, I have a question that only you guys can answer.

It's been a while since I got my first electric, and my progress just seemed to stop. Now I have realized that I need new gear. I have an Ibanez GIO starter guitar with an Ibanez 12 Watt amp (it has a loose cable so I can’t play on it). I was wondering, what should I upgrade?
Should I Upgrade my Ibanez GIO for an Ibanez SZ320? In my area Guitar Center is having a sale for Ibanez’s $50 dollars off, making the SZ320 in my price range, Should I get a whole new amp? The sound that I’m striving for is the "Killswitch engage" tone. I’m a metal head that loves chug riffs but like to have acoustic work associated with songs. Should I upgrade my pickups to Seymour-Duncan Blackouts to increase my tone? Should I buy a Delay pedal that i have wanted for a long time? What should I do?

*My price Range is $100-270*

I really want a guitar upgrade because idk, I love my guitar to death but like most love, it gets boring after a while (joking lol). What I was thinking is that to save up roughly around 250-270 dollars and buy an Ibanez SZ320 that's worth around 140 now. So that leaves me with roughly 150-160 cash to spend maybe on a new amp or something. What would you do? Thanks a lot for helping me out and sorry for the awfully long post.

-Reversal.
Gear
Ibanez GIO Electric Guitar
Ibanez V50 Acoustic Guitar
Peavey Vypyr 75watt
RP55 Guitar Modulation (thinking of selling)

Fairmount Avenue
Well, seeing as you are kind of low on budget, I would suggest getting a decent amp first, not only because you will find this increases your tone MUCH more than a new guitar, but because a decent amp will probably last you longer than a 200$ guitar tbh.
To Rooster456:

Thanks for taking the time to actually find amps for me haha . Do any od you guys have any more suggestions?
Gear
Peavey Vypyr 75watt

Fairmount Avenue
get this for amp
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Vypyr-30-30W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=482909

u could get the 15w version which is $100 but the 30w is better

and for guitar get that ibanez sz320
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
since you clearly are striving for Metal, I recommend you a Roland Cube 30X. Thats plus the Boss FS-6 footswitch should be in your price range, and youll have a killer metal/hard rock amp, with good cleans, and a footswitch
Brasil.

Quote by Daneeka
I heard there is uranium gas in the tubes. So you could easily make a little nuclear blast. If i were you, i wouldn't want to start the World War III.

THE SHORT BACK AND SIDES !!!

Fender Jaguar HH
Digitech RP355
Thank you for replying, it really does me help.

I want an amp because it'll increase my overall tone, but I also want an Ibanez sz320 because it's my dream guitar.

-The amp. I want something that I could turn up and rock off my socks to, play some nice melodic/metal riffage. I had an Ibanez Starter 12 Watt amp, but it wasent loud enough for me. My friend has a Line 6 15 watt and thats pretty low in volume.

-The guitar. Ibanez Sz320, thats it. lol

Remember, The overall tone that I'm going for is the Killswitch Engage tone.

Also, thanks for replying as i said before.

EDIT:

I looked into the Peavy Vyper 30 Watt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8qJYxdqm7c&feature=related

It looks like a good amp, but only problem that I think I might have is that as the video stats, the knobs and such freeze up, and also it takes a while to get used to. I’m alright with the getting used to part but i don’t want the amp to freeze on me like every time I turn it on. Thing that i like is all the effects and versatality on the amp, it also might be able to get me a KsE tone off of it.

I checked out the Crate FlexWave 65 Watt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzpSq-aUXZ0&feature=related

The amp looks gorgeous. It's cool how it has a tuner in it so I can just sell my RP55 modulation. I also like how it has effects and stuff, but I’m a little afraid that I might not get the tone that I want (I’m making this judgment off of the video) so yeah, but I can probably mess w/the knobs a little until I find the tone I want. Also I like that it has a Distortion channel and an Overdrive channel.

I like both of these Amps, but now here comes one of the hard desicions, Which amp would you reccomend me getting? It's almost my birthday (dec.11) and almost x-mas (dec.25) and i want to get Either a new Amp or Guitar by then. Thanks for your replys as i have said a billion time before.

Thanks.

-Reversal
Gear
Peavey Vypyr 75watt

Fairmount Avenue
Last edited by Reversal at Nov 15, 2009,
Buy an mg. It has teh brootalz.

J/k.

Dude, whatever you do, don't go line 6 like i did. It is fail.

I will watch this thread closely lol
I asked a pretty much similar question for a metal tone a few days ago and decided to order a Peavey Vypyr 30 as suggested by a few posters. Hoping it will arrive tomorrow
Good luck with your choice.
Thanks for your replys as always (ok seriously, this is getting annoying! )

Okay, about the Peavy, do the Knobs ALWAYS freeze or do they freeze like 25% out of 100% of the time? Becuase I Like both amps, but now im Torn Between the two.

Quote by Nemm
I asked a pretty much similar question for a metal tone a few days ago and decided to order a Peavey Vypyr 30 as suggested by a few posters. Hoping it will arrive tomorrow
Good luck with your choice.

Hey Nemm, Can you please tell me How the Peavy plays and sound and stuff? I would like to know because if It's good for metal than most likley that I'll get it. How are the effects? The knobs? The channels? The distortion? The overall tone? How loud is it? Just remember that I'm going for the Killswitch Engage tone.

Thanks for answering if you ever do lol. I'll Base my desicion on you guys so please direct me in the correct way.
Gear
Peavey Vypyr 75watt

Fairmount Avenue
Last edited by Reversal at Nov 16, 2009,
Quote by Reversal

Okay, about the Peavy, do the Knobs ALWAYS freeze or do they freeze like 25% out of 100% of the time? Becuase I Like both amps, but now im Torn Between the two.

Hey Nemm, Can you please tell me How the Peavy plays and sound and stuff? I would like to know because if It's good for metal than most likley that I'll get it. How are the effects? The knobs? The channels? The distortion? The overall tone? How loud is it? Just remember that I'm going for the Killswitch Engage tone.

Thanks for answering if you ever do lol. I'll Base my desicion on you guys so please direct me in the correct way.

Can't say until Thursday mate, at university at the moment and plan going back then you see

Will only be able to test amp straight to guitar as my pedals are currently here, unless I can be bothered to bring one back with me haha. Wanted to get an Electro Harmonix Metal Muff pedal too but they're sold out everywhere here, only ones I can find in stock are either 50% over usual price or online purchase only.
Quote by Nemm
Can't say until Thursday mate, at university at the moment and plan going back then you see

Will only be able to test amp straight to guitar as my pedals are currently here, unless I can be bothered to bring one back with me haha. Wanted to get an Electro Harmonix Metal Muff pedal too but they're sold out everywhere here, only ones I can find in stock are either 50% over usual price or online purchase only.

Thats alright dude, I can wait. It doesn't matter that you dont have your pedals because to be honest i havent played through many pedals so i just use My amp and My guitar lolz. Although after my amp i should get a Delay pedal...but yeah that's cool. My friends been wanting a metal muff too. Whenever you get the chance to play your Peavy Vyper 30w, just Reply on here or Pm me about it, whichever one floats your boat.

Good luck at the University, i hope you accomplish the goals you want to acquire. As soon as you get your amp, play it for like 3 hours, then PM PM PM or reply in this forum. I'll be lurking around this forum to see what people's thoughts are...
Gear
Peavey Vypyr 75watt

Fairmount Avenue
Quote by Reversal

Go to youtube and search for Vyvpyr videos, I gaurntee you will find tons of 'em, that's usually where I always go when I want to get an idea of an amps tone. In all honesty though, that and the Roland Cube are your best bet in the price range.
Quote by Shabadoo
Go to youtube and search for Vyvpyr videos, I gaurntee you will find tons of 'em, that's usually where I always go when I want to get an idea of an amps tone. In all honesty though, that and the Roland Cube are your best bet in the price range

Yeah, but of course i could stretch the price range by about 40 dollars. $140-310. I might go with the Vyper, becuase its low in price and from the vids i saw, it produces a nice sound. Any thoughts?
Gear
Peavey Vypyr 75watt

Fairmount Avenue
Quote by Reversal
Thats alright dude, I can wait. It doesn't matter that you dont have your pedals because to be honest i havent played through many pedals so i just use My amp and My guitar lolz. Although after my amp i should get a Delay pedal...but yeah that's cool. My friends been wanting a metal muff too. Whenever you get the chance to play your Peavy Vyper 30w, just Reply on here or Pm me about it, whichever one floats your boat.

Good luck at the University, i hope you accomplish the goals you want to acquire. As soon as you get your amp, play it for like 3 hours, then PM PM PM or reply in this forum. I'll be lurking around this forum to see what people's thoughts are...

Thanks alot
If I don't reply by Friday, give me a PM, my memory is terrible but I'll try my best.
You shouldnt focus on looking for an amp that can get just a killswitch engage tone. if you stick with the guitar then you will want more than a killswitch engage tone at some point.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by JAHellraiser
You shouldnt focus on looking for an amp that can get just a killswitch engage tone. if you stick with the guitar then you will want more than a killswitch engage tone at some point.

Yeah dude i totally know what you mean. It's really hard to list my influences since they are all over the place. How about I list them and then base my influences on the amp that reflect them?

My Influences are in order:

1. Killswitch Engage
2. All That Remains
3. Darkest Hour
4. Three Days Grace
5. Paramore
6. Pantera
7. Atreyu ( just a bit )

So between the Crate FlexWave and the Peavy Vyper 30watt, which Amp do you guys think is best for me?
Gear
Peavey Vypyr 75watt

Fairmount Avenue
Quote by Reversal
Yeah dude i totally know what you mean. It's really hard to list my influences since they are all over the place. How about I list them and then base my influences on the amp that reflect them?

My Influences are in order:

1. Killswitch Engage
2. All That Remains
3. Darkest Hour
4. Three Days Grace
5. Paramore
6. Pantera
7. Atreyu ( just a bit )

So between the Crate FlexWave and the Peavy Vyper 30watt, which Amp do you guys think is best for me?

CALM THE **** DOWN IT ISN'T THURSDAY YET.
No one can be calm WHEN THE WORLD WILL COLLAPSE UNDER THE FOUNDATION OF ALL THAT WE ARE!

Haha, sorry but i wanna know which one is better already so i can determine how much I will have to spend...Also I'm VERY excited at the thought of finally getting a new amp after about 9-10 months lol.
Gear
Peavey Vypyr 75watt

Fairmount Avenue
Quote by Reversal
No one can be calm WHEN THE WORLD WILL COLLAPSE UNDER THE FOUNDATION OF ALL THAT WE ARE!

Haha, sorry but i wanna know which one is better already so i can determine how much I will have to spend...Also I'm VERY excited at the thought of finally getting a new amp after about 9-10 months lol.

Well, this will be my first upgrade in 8 years
Quote by Nemm
Well, this will be my first upgrade in 8 years

Yikes, sorry about that lol. Well, I guess I need this upgrade too because my amp is like broken and torn to shreds (not really). Have you had more than 1 amp ever since you picked up your "Thunder axe"?
Gear
Peavey Vypyr 75watt

Fairmount Avenue
Quote by Reversal
Yikes, sorry about that lol. Well, I guess I need this upgrade too because my amp is like broken and torn to shreds (not really). Have you had more than 1 amp ever since you picked up your "Thunder axe"?

Well, I was given a Squier Strat and a 10W Fender starter amp as a Christmas present 7 or 8 years ago. The amp broke a few years ago when me and a brother had a fight during band practice, by that time we had a spare amp which is the one I'm using now, a tiny 5W amp. Since then I have had another amp which was slightly better than the Fender one but that's left at home. So pretty much yes, it's the first upgrade I've had since then but not the only amp since. Same with the guitar, I plan on getting an Ibanez MBM2 soon. Also the same with the pedal, used a Zoom 505ii since then and now looking for a Metal Muff.
Quote by Nemm
Well, I was given a Squier Strat and a 10W Fender starter amp as a Christmas present 7 or 8 years ago. The amp broke a few years ago when me and a brother had a fight during band practice, by that time we had a spare amp which is the one I'm using now, a tiny 5W amp. Since then I have had another amp which was slightly better than the Fender one but that's left at home. So pretty much yes, it's the first upgrade I've had since then but not the only amp since. Same with the guitar, I plan on getting an Ibanez MBM2 soon. Also the same with the pedal, used a Zoom 505ii since then and now looking for a Metal Muff.

Wow, very nice.

I had an Ibanez 10 watt starter amp that i got around 9-10 months. recently about 2 weeks ago it busted so know im forced to play on my acoustic because you can barely hear my electric. Its okay though because my fingers feel alot stronger because of the acoustic. So now I want to play my electric because I can do hammer-ons, pull-offs, and solos waaaay better on my electirc rather than my acoustic. Also, i'm in a band and i dont think we could play with me on acoustic while everyone else have amps and stuff lolol.
Gear
Peavey Vypyr 75watt

Fairmount Avenue
Arrived today, also finally found a shop in UK selling EH MM, say they have loads of them. Took a while todig through the websites to find it though, that's also meant to be arriving Thurs so should go well.
I'll post back then.
Awesome. Hope you have a sweeto time relaxing and stuff. Ill still be waiting for how the Peavy sounds and plays lol. until then...
Gear
Peavey Vypyr 75watt

Fairmount Avenue
Take your guitar down to your nearest decent sized music shop and try those amps out! Its all very well taking other peoples opinions, but you're the one's going to be playing through it.
Quote by zhilla
Take your guitar down to your nearest decent sized music shop and try those amps out! Its all very well taking other peoples opinions, but you're the one's going to be playing through it.

Yeah, thats what i think that i'll do on Saturday, If my parents would actually take me lol. But usually their too "busy" to take me. Ill try though, thank you.

UPDATE FOR THE PEAVY:

I've heard that you cannot play the Peavy Vyper for too long, you basically have to turn it off every hour for 10 minutes. Thats fine i guess, but i have to remind myself to remember because i usually play for like 3-4 hours straight

Here's the link where i heard the above information:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuTkuoCIEm8
Gear
Peavey Vypyr 75watt

Fairmount Avenue
Quote by Reversal
Yeah, thats what i think that i'll do on Saturday, If my parents would actually take me lol. But usually their too "busy" to take me. Ill try though, thank you.
You could try playing the 'responsible young adult' on them - tell them if you're spending that amount of money you want to make sure you make the right choice, and that it will last you a long time etc. Works on me lol

Good luck anyway
Quote by zhilla
You could try playing the 'responsible young adult' on them - tell them if you're spending that amount of money you want to make sure you make the right choice, and that it will last you a long time etc. Works on me lol

Good luck anyway

Lol, good good...I'll try that muahaha! They would probably buy that, except for my mom because she wears the pants in the family and doesnt handle B.S lol.
Gear
Peavey Vypyr 75watt

Fairmount Avenue
Well, love it so far. Amazed how clear the output is, also much larger than I imagined it to be.
Can't really say much more at the moment as I've only been messing around really, need to take a look through the CD that comes with it to know what I'm doing.
Quote by Nemm
Well, love it so far. Amazed how clear the output is, also much larger than I imagined it to be.
Can't really say much more at the moment as I've only been messing around really, need to take a look through the CD that comes with it to know what I'm doing.

Awesome! I envy you lol, how's the clean and distortion? I really dont care about all those effects and stompboxes on it, But the effects i mostly use are Flanger, Delay, And Distortion, How are they? How is the amp in general? Whats the tone and output like? Did the knobs freeze up? Would you reccomend it? out of 10 starts, what would you rate the amp?

You are one lucky devil to have the peavy vyper, I hope to see some feedback haha.
Gear
Peavey Vypyr 75watt

Fairmount Avenue
Quote by Reversal
Awesome! I envy you lol, how's the clean and distortion? I really dont care about all those effects and stompboxes on it, But the effects i mostly use are Flanger, Delay, And Distortion, How are they? How is the amp in general? Whats the tone and output like? Did the knobs freeze up? Would you reccomend it? out of 10 starts, what would you rate the amp?

You are one lucky devil to have the peavy vyper, I hope to see some feedback haha.

No complaints so far, I love it.
I'm not a fan of Flanger so can't say much about that one but the delay is great. Produces a really clear output, delay can be adjusted by knobs for standard delay duration and feedback etc but you can also tap the tempo button to adjust the delay response time. There are so many distortion settings to choose from, one thing is I'm having trouble setting up one similar to what I had before which produces very clear pinch harmonics and tapping but that's due to me using a multi-effects pedal previously so I wasn't really getting used to setting correct amounts of treble/mids/reverb/delays etc. So, like I said I have no complaints at all so far, no lock ups, no freezes etc, incredibly easy to save presets, just leave down a single button for 3 seconds and it's done.

In the end I decided not to bring it back to uni, was much bigger than expected so thought it weren't worth the risk. Christmas soon anyhow so will have a few weeks then to continue messing around with it.
Quote by Reversal

UPDATE FOR THE PEAVY:

I've heard that you cannot play the Peavy Vyper for too long, you basically have to turn it off every hour for 10 minutes. Thats fine i guess, but i have to remind myself to remember because i usually play for like 3-4 hours straight

Here's the link where i heard the above information:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuTkuoCIEm8

I've had my VYPYR 75 for about 9 months now, and i only rarely get freezes etc. If i do, a simple turn off and back on will do the trick. Its an amazingly versitile amp imo. I also recommend the roland cube 30X.
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
I got The Peavey Vyper 75 watt about 4 days ago, and I must say I’m OVER impressed. I'm really happy that I bought this amp; it fits literally ALL my needs. Now, before you guys get all happy and cheerful... there's a couple more questions on some new gear that I want to ask you.

I already got an amp upgrade, but now I’m going to save up my money for a Guitar upgrade. I have already looked at some guitars that I would like (keep in mind I have tried these guitars out at the local guitar center) and I want you opinions on them. Just in case you forgot, my influences are Killswitch Engage (old and new), Darkest Hour, All That Remains, and Three Days Grace. So basically I guess my playing genres would be Melodic Metalcore with Alternative influences.

*Im looking for the price to be around the $250-350 range.

Ibanez ART 100 ( I want it in Transparent Cherry )
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-ART100-Electric-Guitar-512354-i1326045.gc

Ibanez RG RG3EXFM1 ( I want it in Transparent Grey Burst)
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG-RG3EXFM1-Electric-Guitar-104831474-i1400085.gc#read-reviews

Ibanez RG2EX1 ( I want it in black)
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG2EX1-Electric-Guitar-103382115-i1167867.gc

ESP EC-50 ( I want it in Tobacco Sunburst Chrome Hardware )
http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP-EC-50-Electric-Guitar-516672-i1370020.gc

Schecter Omen 6 ( I want it in Walnut Satin )
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-Guitar-Research-Omen-6-Electric-Guitar-101558112-i1149923.gc

okay, so based on these 5 guitars, which ones do you think is better?
Gear
Peavey Vypyr 75watt

Fairmount Avenue
id have to say the vipers are the best digital modeling amp line out there... though u did like the vox valvetronix but the peavey is more versatile. for a guitar, u can get a really nice les paul copy for about 300 from agile guitars check them out online i would recommend the al-2500 and up models especially the 3000 if u can afford it. heres a link.
http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar-ss15.html
Ibanez RG3EXFM1 out of those. The RG2EX1 is the same thing its just the RG3EXFM1 has a nicer finish and those sharktooth inlays.
Quote by GuernZila
id have to say the vipers are the best digital modeling amp line out there... though u did like the vox valvetronix but the peavey is more versatile. for a guitar, u can get a really nice les paul copy for about 300 from agile guitars check them out online i would recommend the al-2500 and up models especially the 3000 if u can afford it. heres a link.
http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar-ss15.html

Hey thanks, but im not really looking into gibson nock-offs. I want something that can get me a tone of Melodic Metalcore.

Quote by Prodigy179
Ibanez RG3EXFM1 out of those. The RG2EX1 is the same thing its just the RG3EXFM1 has a nicer finish and those sharktooth inlays.

Thanks man. That guitar already lookes beautiful.

Any more suggestions would be apprecicated.
Gear
Peavey Vypyr 75watt

Fairmount Avenue