I remember reading somewhere on this site (in multiple places) about an "essential" book for music theory. Does anybody remember what it is, or what it could be?

For the record, I did use the searchbar.

EDIT: Woops, just realized that this wasn't the music theory board.
Last edited by TheLetheProject at Nov 13, 2009,
It's not guitar-oriented (but it has certain things specific to guitarists), but the first half or so of Everything Music Theory helped me quite a bit.

Also, Guitar Grimoire: Modes and Scales helped too.

For guitarists, the second (in my book) is "essential", but no book is all-encompassing.

Also: As odd as it sounds, Wikipedia and Wolframalpha.com have helped too.

EDIT: Wik's helped by providing some technical theory lessons and WA's just a great reference tool, as far as being a chord finder and a scale locater.
Fretboard mastery and fretboard logic are the 2 best imo.
(۳ ˚Д˚۳
WTFISTHIS****!?!??

My Rig

Quote by SimplyBen
Wait until he's trying the fullstack, then shove it from behind. Crushing him with it's overdrive

Quote by BobDetroit
You can't tune a LP copies down. Some kind of lawsuit Gibson won. Sorry.
I think it might be Music Theory for Practical People by Eldy. However, all of the responses have been helpful.

EDIT: Actually, I don't know if that's it. I'm kind of looking for a pretty in-depth book, and Harmony and Voice Leading seems a lot like what I'm looking for (though it's pretty expensive!).
Last edited by TheLetheProject at Nov 13, 2009,
Quote by TheLetheProject
I think it might be Music Theory for Practical People by Eldy. However, all of the responses have been helpful.

EDIT: Actually, I don't know if that's it. I'm kind of looking for a pretty in-depth book, and Harmony and Voice Leading seems a lot like what I'm looking for (though it's pretty expensive!).

You can probably find a .pdf of it on a torrent site so you can kinda look at it and see if you want to purchase it.

I have one, but I got warned once for providing it to someone so yeh.