WARNING: long and boring rant ahead.

hi, so this is my first post here (it's the first time i feel the need to post something, but i've been lurking here for like a year) and I wasn't sure whether this was supposed to go.

The reasons why I don't play my guitar as much as I would like to aren't because I lack the time, or because my mother goes berserk when playing loud or something like that. It's simply because I don't pick it up as much as I would like to. I don't feel motivated enough, or whatever, I just don't. Sometimes I have periods that last no more than a month or 2 weeks, when I just come back from school and pick it up and play until night, but that's just sporadically, right now, I haven't picked it up for 3 weeks or so. This has been going on for a year now, and as a result I haven't gotten any better (I first picked up the guitar 2 years ago). I have considered the option that maybe I got bored of the guitar, or that I don't really like it. But all I do is think about it, all I do when I go out is check out all the guitar models on the music stores, and listen to music with ripping guitar parts in them, and look at guitar models on the internet and of course, lurk in UG and read stuff about guitar, and watch guitar covers on YouTube and hope someday I will be able to do that.
I have tried various ways of practicing so I would play more often and not quit after noodling for 15 minutes. But I keep falling on the same pattern (the one explained before). Whenever I sit down to play I dislike what comes out of it, I don't like how it sounds and I think I will never be good, not even decent, and I have the feeling I'm doing it wrong, practicing wrong, although I go to guitar lessons (I've already tried changing teachers twice) and all.

So the point is, I want to get good, I want to be able to play guitar really well someday, and that's all I think about, but unfortunately, I cannot bring myself to do it, and instead I fill my day with useless activities so I will have an excuse of "not having the time to practice guitar at the moment".

I haven't written this because I want to take this off my chest, although it sounds like I'm whining, and maybe I am- I just would like to know if any of you has ever gone through this -which I doubt- or even if you haven't you can recommend something. It seems like I've fallen into a perpetual rut I can't get out of, I've never heard of a year-long rut... And I don't know if I should keep trying or just quit guitar and completely disconnect myself from it.

Well, i did say it was a long and boring rant, still i hope some of you out there can give me a hand. Cheers
Start playing more, lol. There's really nothing else we can tell you, I think.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Buy a new toy.

Seriously.

Getting a fun new pedal or something, even a used one, or something of the like can spark your interest again.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Quote by Kevy Absolution
Buy a new toy.

Seriously.

Getting a fun new pedal or something, even a used one, or something of the like can spark your interest again.
This. Listen to new music. Try out a new technique. Try things with guitar that you've never tried before. Join a band if you've never been in one, and if you have, join a different kind of band.

Hope that helps!
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
I've gone through similar experiences. I agree that a new toy helps to motivate you to play more cause it makes things feel new again. I just force myself to learn my favorite songs and the more I learn the better I get and thus the more I feel like playing and practicing. It's all about patience and love of the guitar. Learning new techniques and styles can be fun and keep things fresh as well.
everybody goes through phases of feeling like they're not progressing or lack motivation or creativity, you just gotta push through it, try doing something different, listen to different genres of music that you normally don't, try writing your own music (even if it sucks just keep going with it, it's just another skill that has to be practiced)

don't feel like it doesn't happen to anybody else, it does. it's just part of it, you have to push through

check out this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df0sFG7FqSQ
I've definately had times where it felt hopeless before, so nothing new there.

What you're lacking is focus and more specific goals. You have a general idea of wanting to play well, but when you pick up the guitar your playing isn't where you want it to be so after a little while you become discouraged.

You have the big goal of wanting to play well, but what you are lacking are the small goals, things you can achieve in a week or two. Try coming up with a short term goal - something like playing the opening two riffs of a song you like. Work on trying to achieve that goal for the next couple of weeks. Don't worry if you can't get it sounding as good as the song, just focus on getting it to a level that is good for your ability level.

It's really a fundamental principle of how people tackle solving problems. You have a big problem/goal that is too big to tackle in one go. So you break it up into smaller problems/goals, and solve those first. If you focus only on the big goal before breaking it down, it seems impossible and frustrating.
I'm kinda in the same situation myself atm. Anyways one thing that got me out of one of these "ruts" a couple of times is to do the "21-day challenge" stickied here on this forum (or was it under guitar techniques?) What I did was to make my wallpaper on my computer to 21 boxes and every day I made a cross in one of these boxes until every one was crossed over. It really helps alot and every time I have done this I have advanced to the next "plateau".

In fact I got so motivated now that I'm gonna start with that again
Quote by Fluid_Delusions
WARNING: long and boring rant ahead.

hi, so this is my first post here (it's the first time i feel the need to post something, but i've been lurking here for like a year) and I wasn't sure whether this was supposed to go.

The reasons why I don't play my guitar as much as I would like to aren't because I lack the time, or because my mother goes berserk when playing loud or something like that. It's simply because I don't pick it up as much as I would like to. I don't feel motivated enough, or whatever, I just don't. Sometimes I have periods that last no more than a month or 2 weeks, when I just come back from school and pick it up and play until night, but that's just sporadically, right now, I haven't picked it up for 3 weeks or so. This has been going on for a year now, and as a result I haven't gotten any better (I first picked up the guitar 2 years ago). I have considered the option that maybe I got bored of the guitar, or that I don't really like it. But all I do is think about it, all I do when I go out is check out all the guitar models on the music stores, and listen to music with ripping guitar parts in them, and look at guitar models on the internet and of course, lurk in UG and read stuff about guitar, and watch guitar covers on YouTube and hope someday I will be able to do that.
I have tried various ways of practicing so I would play more often and not quit after noodling for 15 minutes. But I keep falling on the same pattern (the one explained before). Whenever I sit down to play I dislike what comes out of it, I don't like how it sounds and I think I will never be good, not even decent, and I have the feeling I'm doing it wrong, practicing wrong, although I go to guitar lessons (I've already tried changing teachers twice) and all.

So the point is, I want to get good, I want to be able to play guitar really well someday, and that's all I think about, but unfortunately, I cannot bring myself to do it, and instead I fill my day with useless activities so I will have an excuse of "not having the time to practice guitar at the moment".

I haven't written this because I want to take this off my chest, although it sounds like I'm whining, and maybe I am- I just would like to know if any of you has ever gone through this -which I doubt- or even if you haven't you can recommend something. It seems like I've fallen into a perpetual rut I can't get out of, I've never heard of a year-long rut... And I don't know if I should keep trying or just quit guitar and completely disconnect myself from it.

Well, i did say it was a long and boring rant, still i hope some of you out there can give me a hand. Cheers

I think you're problem is having the wrong motivation. You seem overly focused on "getting good".

My suggestion:

Don't play because you "want to get good". Play because you enjoy it.... and allow yourself to "get good" as a result of your time spent enjoying/playing/practicing the instrument.

Find some guitar oriented music that you like...... Learn to play...... enjoy what it feels like to play that music. Don't worry that it doesn't sound great right away. it takes time. You have to be patient.

If you don't enjoy the act of playing. Just put the thing away and do something else. There is nothing wrong with that.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Nov 14, 2009,
The guitar specific forums are a better place to talk about practicing guitar.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud