What are some brands of knock off's? Or places to get them from. Thx
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Epiphone makes Les Paul knockoffs, which actually sound pretty good for the price (I'm talking about the 500 dollar-ish one). However, I'm still new to guitars and probably have no idea what I'm talking about, so wait for a second opinion. You can get the Epiphone Les Pauls just about anywhere. They're common as dirt.
Epiphone and Agile are probably the two best but Epi are not actually a knockoff they are licensed and owned by Gibson.

John
agile
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
Look at Agiles on rondomusic.com. My friend owns an agile al-2000. Cost him $199 and the finish is absolutely perfect. Weighs as much as a real Gibson and I would honestly take it over an epiphone. If you have a bit more to spend, look at the al-3000. Its got alnico magnets instead of ceramic pickups and upgraded hardware and binding. The only thing I would change on the al-2000 is the pickups, but even that could be an upgrade for later down the road.

PRS SE Custom w/ Duncans
Classic Vibe 50's Strat
Egnater Rebel 20
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Crate v18-112 w/ Eminence Private Jack

USSR Big Muff Pi
Line 6 Echo Park
Boss BD-2
Vox Wah
Guitar Rig 3

DO NØT CLICK THÏS LINK

Hook 'em
In the strictest sense of the word, the Epiphone Les Pauls aren't knock-offs because Gibson owns Epiphone and has licensed them to make Les Paul guitars and use the name, logo and particulars of the body design. That having been said, you are correct: they aren't Les Pauls inasmuch as a Les Paul is a Gibson guitar. The overseas copies of Gibson Les Pauls and SGs, and the copies of the Fender Stratocasters and Telecasters are true knock-offs - they are unlicensed copies of specific instruments designed to mooch off of their reputation, desirability and brand-name recognition.

True knock-offs are usually (but not always) cheap, poorly made guitars that aren't worth having. Companies like Hondo, Cortez, Harmony and the like flooded the market with them back in the 1970s. The exceptions were the 1970s "Lawsuit" Ibanez Les Pauls and Tokai copies of Gibsons and Fenders.

The Epiphone Les Pauls and SGs, like the Squire Strats and Teles, are much better options than any of the current knock-offs. They are better made, have a major company to stand behind them and are truer to the originals than a cheap knock-off.
Honestly, I have had great experience with Jay Turser(sp?). They make copies of just about anything, and honestly, I'd take my Strat copy that they made over any Mexican Strat.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the strictest sense of the word, the Epiphone Les Pauls aren't knock-offs because Gibson owns Epiphone and has licensed them to make Les Paul guitars and use the name, logo and particulars of the body design. That having been said, you are correct: they aren't Les Pauls inasmuch as a Les Paul is a Gibson guitar. The overseas copies of Gibson Les Pauls and SGs, and the copies of the Fender Stratocasters and Telecasters are true knock-offs - they are unlicensed copies of specific instruments designed to mooch off of their reputation, desirability and brand-name recognition.

True knock-offs are usually (but not always) cheap, poorly made guitars that aren't worth having. Companies like Hondo, Cortez, Harmony and the like flooded the market with them back in the 1970s. The exceptions were the 1970s "Lawsuit" Ibanez Les Pauls and Tokai copies of Gibsons and Fenders.

The Epiphone Les Pauls and SGs, like the Squire Strats and Teles, are much better options than any of the current knock-offs. They are better made, have a major company to stand behind them and are truer to the originals than a cheap knock-off.

that statement is not true for the agile series.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by Gundamnitpete
that statement is not true for the agile series.

It wasn't meant to be. That's why I didn't mention Agile.
I'm in southern CA im looking for something to put a custom paint job on so it can be something pretty crappy.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
if you get an agile, you might have a hard time messing up the stock finish.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Truthfully if you want to mess up a poly finish or repaint it you will have a tough time poly is a practically a bullet proof finish! In order to repaint poly you need to sand the whole thing to give the new paint something to grab other wise it's like putting paint on glass. I even tried to use paint stripper on a poly guitar and it didn't even effect the paint at all but did clean it. ???? Your best bet would be to look at used Epis or any other LP I picked up a used Epi LP Special dirt cheap $40.00 with HSC it had a load of stickers on it and some scratches. I added a full diamond plate top on it added some better Epi pups and it's pretty good.

If you want to try Jay Turser, I have several Jay Turser guitars and they make a great LP copy for the money. The pick ups are hit or miss some I have the pick ups are fine some were just horrible and i swapped those out. I think those are earlier ones when JT was just starting out.

Jay Tursers are actually manufactured and distributed by American Music & Sound the same company that manufactures and distributes Hagstrom guitars.

John
Xaviere guitars are VERY inexpensive and sound very good. They can be found a www.guitarfetish.com

Their pickups are quite decent, and you can find reviews of their stuff on here and look them up on You Tube. I own a XV-500 from them, and it's quite nice. They even sell the kits to build them yourself.
Epiphone SG
Crate V-18 212
Xaviere XV-500
Boss PS-5 SUPER Shifter
Digitech Bad Monkey

SWINE FLU FREE SINCE 1974
A nice Japanese brand, like Tokai or Edwards, usually runs rings around most off the shelf Gibsons.

As for a cheap copy to use, just grab an old Hondo or something. They're usually cheap and tatty (apart from the lawsuit models) and great for modding.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay