Today while I was playing guitar, I suddenly started getting a sharp (but mild) pain in my wrist...I looked it up and it's my "median nerve" that hurts, in the middle of my left wrist just to the right of my tendon.

Lately I've been working on a few songs which requires a lot of playing on the lower frets, like Master of Puppets. This hasn't been causing any real pain, just tiredness since I'm not used to it. But today, I was practicing it for a little while, and then moved on to something easier...some old Sabbath stuff, and that's when the pain in my wrist started. I stopped immediately and now my wrist just has this very mild, dull ache to it.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is my technique wrong or something? I noticed I have to bend my wrist quite a bit to play those parts...the pickups on my guitar are at about belt-level and I play with the neck tilted up a bit.

I'm gonna be taking a break from guitar until my wrist is 100% again, but if anyone has any tips or advice that'd be much appreciated.
well obviously try to relax your wrist more and hold it in a more natural position. Like you said, take a brake for a little bit, give yourself time to heal. also try fretting lighter, if the action on your guitar is high than you might want to lower it.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Ok, I put ice on it and now my entire hand and forearm up to my elbow is in moderate-serious pain. It didn't start until I put ice on it...is this normal?
^ As above, try to fret lighter.

Also try tilting your guitar up to about 40 degrees (prob higher than what you have it now) and shorten your strap. Having the guitar slung low looks cool but that don't matter a damn if you can't play the thing properly down there. Raise it up!!!

A good warm-up before you start playing works wonders too!!!
Quote by DarkN00b
Ok, I put ice on it and now my entire hand and forearm up to my elbow is in moderate-serious pain. It didn't start until I put ice on it...is this normal?

Bloody hell...........STOP playing for a while!!!! Otherwise you may cause serious problems that stop you playing guitar forever!!!

Shorten that bloody strap! Wear the damn thing on your chest if you have to. May not look as good but who cares. I wear mine just under my chest ffs. Yours is at your belt!?!

Repeat:...............STOP playin for a week or two until the injury you've caused yourself heals properly.
It sucks to skip playing for a few days but you really need to take 3 or 4 days off and relax the hand. I went through the same thing: hand/wrist pain....looking it up online...blah, blah,blah. After you rest it, concentrate on playing relaxed.
Ok thanks for the advice, will do.

God, I freakin' hate guitar-playing withdrawals. -twitches-

Ok, raised my strap up about 5 notches, got my wrist in one of those funky Ace bandages...it's only a very very mild dull ache now. I just picked up the guitar for 10 minutes today and tested things...and I noticed that I was fretting too hard like you guys said. My action is extremely low so just the LIGHTEST touch works fine...I didn't know that until now. Guess this has a bright side to it too!

Thanks again for the advice guys!
and a good trade off is that when you fret lighter, it will make it easier to play faster

If your wrist feels weird at all, don't try to play.

and then once it feels normal, wait a little while longer after that.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's