what effects/settings did Metallica use on the original recording?
B.C. Rich Body Art Collection June Flesh Ring Warlock

Marshall 8040 Valvestate

1978 Peavey Classic VT 212 amp

All this 4 sale
think they recorded in some big ass house too so go rent out a mansion and get to work!

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

treble at like 7-8 or whatever you prefer, scoop mids and high amount of gain, there ya go lol
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
No pedals? I no my guitar and amps arent built for this style, but I cant dial in the tone at all. Kinda weak gain on them too.
B.C. Rich Body Art Collection June Flesh Ring Warlock

Marshall 8040 Valvestate

1978 Peavey Classic VT 212 amp

All this 4 sale
Searchbar.I'm to lazy to look myself,but someone else will have asked the same/similiar question before.Also,try the ultimate settings thread.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by David BcRich
No pedals? I no my guitar and amps arent built for this style, but I cant dial in the tone at all. Kinda weak gain on them too.

James used a RAT distortion pedal back then.
Marshall JMP amp. (Metal panel plexi) modified by the same dude that did Van Halen's amp IIRC and a ProCo Rat pedal boosting the front end.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
From a thread that was brought up awhile ago.

Quote by Junnage

Kill 'Em All: James' Jose Arrendondo modified Marshall 100 watt SLP head was used to record his parts. Live, he used a JMP 2203. He a Boss DF-2 Super Feedbacker* for his solos. He may have had an Ibanez Tubescreamer, but there is no way to be sure. He didn't mention it at all in one interview, but he did in another.

"...I used my black Flying V with an old '57 humbucker, which I've had for 12 years now. I plugged in through James' modified Marshall amp, mainly because we didn't have a lot of equipment at that time. I also used a Boss Distortion pedal." -Kirk Hammett, Guitar World, October 1991

"When I was doing that guitar solo, I was using James' Marshall. That was the Marshall-it had been hot rodded by some L.A. guy, the same guy who hot rodded Eddie Van Halen's Marshalls [Jose Arrendondo-MJF]-and when it came time to do my guitar leads, I just plugged into that...I had my trusy old Ibanez Tube Screamer, my trusty wah pedal, and my black Gibson Flying V that I used on the first four albums-it was either a '74 or a '78, I'm not sure." -Kirk Hammett, Guitar World, March 2002
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
Quote by ascend
treble doesn't have an m in it

damn such a stupid mistake, but accidents happen