Page 1 of 3
Theres this guy on my band, a decent bass player but hes really diffrent from the rest of us. He's really overweight and dresses diffrently then all the other bandmates including me. His style of music is the same as us but sometimes he likes to play his own stuff. Anyway is kicking out a bandmate because of looks a good reason? The other guys think we should lose him but i dont know. Any opinions?
thats a stupid reason to kick someone out.. I mean that isnt really fair if he digs the same sutff and plays it fine then what gives? let him be/do what he wants, he shouldnt have to conform to your style of dress just to play your music?
Quote by Scarface735
is kicking out a bandmate because of looks a good reason?
Absolutely not. You knew what he looked like when you invited him to join your band.

Looks might be a valid reason to not invite a new member,
but it isn't a good reason to kick someone out.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
As long as he's open for a certain image in gigs, there is no worries. Fat guys need bands too!
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Absolutely not. You knew what he looked like when you invited him to join your band.

He looks exactly like him, just much younger. If I don't let him go then my bandmates are gonna leave. This really sucks.
Quote by Scarface735
He looks exactly like him, just much younger. If I don't let him go then my bandmates are gonna leave. This really sucks.

How hard is it to find bass players where you live? If there aren't any bass players, and you have other options on the other members of you band, I'd say let 'em go and build a new band with the bass player. If there are a lot of bass players around, then I'd say ditch the bassist and find a new one, it's easier to replace one member than the entire band.
You keep him. Image is important and I'm sure he will dress similar or whatever to conform to your image, but kicking him out because of his size is not right.
So, you throw out a guy out of the band just because he looks bad? Sheesh, glad I'm not in your band
For a real pervert, any exit can be an entrance.
Quote by sTx
Awesome post, dude.

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Goth
Peavey Valveking 112
My metal band, Nilfgaard
Quote by The Arsis
You and your band mates are pathetic.

I agree. You all fail at life.

Quote by SKAtastic7770
This thread made me die a little inside.

Me too.
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
i hope he goes on to be in the next amazing superband tbh. :/ your horrible.
Quote by Carrionshine
thats a stupid reason to kick someone out.. I mean that isnt really fair if he digs the same sutff and plays it fine then what gives? let him be/do what he wants, he shouldnt have to conform to your style of dress just to play your music?
Quote by guitaruboy
nahhh
bass players are always fat. more chicks for you guys! just stick him in the back and nobody'll notice
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by pandora_grunt
As long as he's open for a certain image in gigs, there is no worries. Fat guys need bands too!
Quote by CODE
You keep him. Image is important and I'm sure he will dress similar or whatever to conform to your image, but kicking him out because of his size is not right.
5 say keep him.

Quote by ~JIMMY~
Quote by Copius
How hard is it to find bass players where you live? If there aren't any bass players, and you have other options on the other members of you band, I'd say let 'em go and build a new band with the bass player. If there are a lot of bass players around, then I'd say ditch the bassist and find a new one, it's easier to replace one member than the entire band.
Only 2 say get rid of him

Quote by Scarface735
Your right. I'm going to kick him out. Thanks guys
You are certainly free to choose your own path.
But please do not say we're right when you go contrary to the advice given.

By and large those who responded in your thread do NOT agree with your course of action.

Thanks
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Damn the OP is a deeeeekhud. Seriously, kicking a member out because of what he looks like does not make any sense at all.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
+3463463 to all who said TS and his band are terrible people for even considering kicking someone out because he wishes to not conform. TS, you and your band are absolutely ridiculous.
ESP Viper 1000 Deluxe

Peavey Vypyr 120 Head
ValveKing 4x12 Cab

ISP Decimator
Boss AC-2
Ibanez TS-7
Anyone find it ironic TS doesn't have pics of himself on his profile

Seriously tho its completely ridiculous to kick out because he's fat. If it really really bothers you, why don't you just see if he'll dress more like you and offer to go exercise with him. Tell him you're concerned about his weight, that its not good for him.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
depends on the context...

if OP's band is getting some serious exposure, but the ogre's looks are not doing them any favors and there's a replacement ready to go, I'm with ya OP, boot him out. yeah, you're an evil dick head for doing it, but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do in this industry, and you don't have time for cartman to lay off the cheesy poofs.

on the other hand,if you're just a bunch of douche bags who make a lot of racket in a garage somewhere, then it's just pointless because you're not going anywhere anyway, might as well not go anywhere with a fat guy. besides, if you ever get attacked by bears while he's around, you won't have to outrun the bear, you'll just have to outrun fatty.

as for all the people who flamed the **** outa' this guy because his band doesn't want fatso around, grow the **** up. maybe it's not the most ethical move, but the world is not the bright shiny fair place you imagine it to be. and guess what else, image is a part of being in a band, a big part. if tubby were serious, he would've kept himself in check. as it is, he kicked himself out.
Last edited by GrisKy at Nov 14, 2009,

Yeah, kick a guy out cause he's different. Nice attitude. That'll take you places.
Gear:
08' Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ Vintage 30
Peavy Vypyr 15 watt
MXR 10 Band EQ
MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss DS-1
Dunlop 535Q Wah

Death to all butt metal.
Quote by TheLifeguard

Yeah, kick a guy out cause he's different. Nice attitude. That'll take you places.

think i'm kidding?

KSE got kicked off Slayer's tour for having a wardrobe that "wasn't appropriate for metal."

KSE!!!

fact of life, the world is cut-throat, and few industries are as ficle as entertainment. sometimes you either cut out the fat (pun intended) or accept that it'll be your neck on the choppng block next.
Quote by GrisKy

as for all the people who flamed the **** outa' this guy because his band doesn't want fatso around, grow the **** up.

The irony is killing me.
Quote by Highwaytohell
Obvious Troll is obvious?
Not sure. Thinking TS might just be a coward looking for any kind of justification for doing what he knows is wrong.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
could be a troll, but i think it's a case of rose-colored glasses... probably a chubby dude who doesn't like that i called a spade a spade.

psych, there's lots of people throughout the world who will hold your hand and tell you it's ok to be yourself, and in the context of just going about living your life, they're right.

...those people are not in the music business. would you tell a short fat guy to tryout for an NBA team? to an A&R rep, that's pretty much the same thing as telling a fat guy he's gonna be a rock star.

maybe you're just having a hard time with me being the one to break the news to ya. maybe you're thinking to yourself "fvck this guy, he's just another jackoff on the internet like the rest of us," and you'd be right. if you don't want to hear it from me, try watching one of those celeb gossip bullshit shows, and count the times you see a fatty portrayed in a positive light. do it for a week, then come tell us what you learned.
Quote by GrisKy
if OP's band is getting some serious exposure, but the ogre's looks are not doing them any favors and there's a replacement ready to go, I'm with ya OP, boot him out. yeah, you're an evil dick head for doing it, but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do in this industry, and you don't have time for cartman to lay off the cheesy poofs.

Whilst I agree with you to some extent, I highly doubt the OPs band were getting serious exposure and just didn't want to be associated with the "loser" from school.

In the case that a record label was concerned about the "look" of one of the members, if they were interested in the music I'm sure they'd proposition the rest of the band, and highly advise that the fatter one be kicked out. Alternatively the record label could invest in some personal training for the fatter one.

That said, most bands are made of pretty average looking blokes, it's just that the fact they play music makes them attractive, and they gain confidence from playing their music live.

So yes, I agree to the extent that image can be important at the higher echelons of the business, but the image decision is generally not made by the band, but by a prospective record label.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Whilst I agree with you to some extent, I highly doubt the OPs band were getting serious exposure and just didn't want to be associated with the "loser" from school.

true, if this is the case, i revert back to my 2nd paragraph from above (...attacked by bears...)

such is th nature of adolescence to be "clique-ish"

the world is full of all kinds of people, fat people, stupid people, dick heads, all kinds.

OP, your bassit is a fat guy. you could be a dick head, or you could be something else, whatev. your choice.

hey, if you've got a personal bias against fat people, fine, that's cool do your thing. i'm not gonna sit here and tell you some cookie-cutter bullshit about how we're all created equal or whatever. i will tell you that if you take your band seriously, then you have to make the tough decisions that are in the best interrest of the band.

so, do you have a guy lined up to take his place? can that dude (if he exists) play all the songs? does he fit the style/vibe of the group? if you can say yes to these questions (and others... spare my keyboard), i don't see a problem.
hes an ok bassist. His skills are decent. Its not just his weight, but the image he has. To me it just doesn't match well with our band. Its like replacing john lennon with marilyn manson(not that extreme but you get the idea). To me image is everything. IMO you have to look decent and not just some bum who came out of bed. The way he dresses just pisses me off. He doesn't seem to care about what he dresses as. Honestly he looks like a fat hobo off the street.

Anyway he is killing the band's vibe and I really can't replace my drummer who is also my gf. So with this in mind I have to kick him out.
Quote by Scarface735
hes an ok bassist. His skills are decent.
Okay, not a resounding endorsement, but still in his favour.

Quote by Scarface735
Its not just his weight, but the image he has. To me it just doesn't match well with our band. Its like replacing john lennon with marilyn manson(not that extreme but you get the idea). To me image is everything. IMO you have to look decent and not just some bum who came out of bed. The way he dresses just pisses me off. He doesn't seem to care about what he dresses as. Honestly he looks like a fat hobo off the street.
But did he suddenly change his style? I'm guessing no. It sounds like you just changed your mind about what you want in terms of image. He looked good enough to start in this band with you, but now you're changing the benchmark. This seems unfair to me.

You know people CAN change the clothes they choose. Maybe some discussion is in order?

Quote by Scarface735
Anyway he is killing the band's vibe and I really can't replace my drummer who is also my gf. So with this in mind I have to kick him out.
Holy Shit! Why didn't you say so in the first place!

We could have saved a ton of wasted words with you dancing around looking for different ways to rationalize an unfair decision. You DEFINITELY need to kick this guy. If the girlfriend wants him out, it doesn't make a damned bit of difference why. If you don't get this done and make her happy, you ain't gonna be gettin' no pussy.

For Christ's sake don't be stupid. When your girlfriend is IN the band, you don't go against her. Just give her what she wants and stop thinking you actually have a choice in these matters. Save yourself a ton of wasted time and thought.

Best of luck, man.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by Scarface735

At first I was unsure of the implications of this sentence so I read back over your past posts.

Your girlfriend said she'll leave the band if you don't kick the fat guy out.

Well she sounds awesome. Who hears wedding bells?
Soundcloud
*whips crack*

OP, I'm done standing up for you.

"Yoko strikes Again"... your new band name.
I can understand kicking someone out if their not a good fit with the rest of the band and a different style (assuming if the rest of the band cares about looking similar). If you just said that there probably wouldn't be any debate. He doesn't fit in and you want to find someone who does. End of discussion. But his weight should have nothing to do with it and should never have been brought up. But since your girlfriend's in the band, i don't think "fatty" is the worst of your problems.

And in response to Grisky, i admit I am on the chubby side but i assure you it had nothing to do with anything I've said. This thread has been insane. That said, I'm trying to start up a band here and I'm looking into losing weight. Don't get me wrong, I don't feel bad about how I look and none of my band mates do either. I want to lose weight because of health reasons, to look better on stage, and because it's a responsible thing to do. That's right I admit looking better on stage. Growing up and doing the right thing isn't telling fatty to hit the brick. It's about realizing there is a potential problem and fixing the core fault. Now if my band members came up to me and said you need to lose some weight I'd be like "yeah... your probably right" and I'd do it because they were probably right and it should be done. But they certainly would never kick me out because of it. I feel like there's some underlying issue other than this that isn't being discussed... and I think a major problem is actually "Yoko" just sayin...

Plus, I'd rather see a decent sized guy who looks like he'll rip someone apart then some twig emo kid.... yeah... I said it. haha
Quote by Physcosick
and I think a major problem is actually "Yoko" just sayin...

Plus, I'd rather see a decent sized guy who looks like he'll rip someone apart then some twig emo kid.... yeah... I said it. haha

I'll drink to that.
You sir, are an idiot. Don't you know that if you are in a relationship with a band member either the band or the relationship has to end? Its sad but its the way of life
chris burney - bowling for soup (theyve had their fair amount of success throughout the years)
Dave Schools - Widespread Panic (have been selling out venues for the past 25 years and just finished headlining a tour with the allman brothers and headlining voodoo)
Warren Haynes - Allman Brothers band (hes played in so many amazing bands that its ridiculous)

All overweight all successful

your bands thinking is sick, if he can play his instrument and play it well you can find a way to make his image work. By the way NEVER get romantically involved with a band member, it can only end bad. Your either going to drive her away or the rest of the band its only a matter of time. However judging by the immaturity of your decisions this may not be a bad thing
Quote by GrisKy
depends on the context...

as for all the people who flamed the **** outa' this guy because his band doesn't want fatso around, grow the **** up. maybe it's not the most ethical move, but the world is not the bright shiny fair place you imagine it to be. and guess what else, image is a part of being in a band, a big part. if tubby were serious, he would've kept himself in check. as it is, he kicked himself out.

Being an unethical di**head is not how anyone should make it it in any business. If it requires being an a**hole to make it big, then the band should stay in the garage until the skinny ones grow up enough themselves to realize that humans are more important than fame and money.
I hate this sub-forum's way of thinking.

Almost every damn thread is about making it or furthering yourself in the 'business' or 'industry'. It's a lie! Why can't people just play music? Believe me TS, you won't get far with that attitude and having your girlfriend as a drummer? What, were you actually expecting success?

TS, make a list of all your negative qualities and we can think of reasons as to why you should leave your band! You'd kick him out because he doesn't dress like you? Just play some music, enjoy yourselves and learn to be nice.

There.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
The bassist in no longer in my band. Me and the other guitarist spoke to him and said we are taking a new direction and we feel that he wouldn't want to be with us.

In short I told him we were going to play death metal and he despises everything metal. He left.

And as for isabiggles, She and I started as the band, and I thought it would a cool idea like what the white stripes did.
Quote by Scarface735
She and I started as the band, and I thought it would a cool idea like what the white stripes did.
A little trivia for you, here.

Jack Gillis and Meg White met and eventually married. His name then became ...
Jack White

Maybe you can repeat their success and longevity?

Protip:
If the pool-boy has been taking bass lessons and she suggests him for the band...
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Page 1 of 3