So I currently have

Peavey Rage 158 Amp
Harmony 410 Guitar

for my set up.

To attain a good doom/heavy metal tone similar to Black Sabbath, what would your suggestions be?

First of all, I would like to know what kind of distortion pedal I should get for it (compatible with my current set up).
Second, whether my amp is sufficient, or only good for practice.
Third, is my guitar any good?

Thanks.
Philosophy > Life
Not a chance in hell. Your amp is a practice amp, and will not do any kind of convincing metal tone. Apart from anything else, the 8" speaker is simply too small.

If you want to gig, I suggest saving up for a while and getting a better amp. For practicing/jamming at home, it's worth investing in some computer amp modelling software (Revalver/Guitar Rig/Amplitube etc) or something like a Line6 POD. You could actually just use the Revalver III demo, since it's esentially unrestricted.
The guitar you play is totally up to you, if you can get around the neck then it's a good guitar.

As for your amp... for bedroom practice it's fine, I've always found them a big "grainy" but some careful eqing can hide this quite well. Do you have any intention of playing live in the foreseeable future?
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
For live playing, I don't think I ever will do anything of the sort. I just practice at home or with friends for fun, nothing serious.

I've noticed that I can EQ fairly well with it, I just don't know if it can get the desired tone with any pedals.
Philosophy > Life
Your best bet then is probably running your amp clean, then using some kind of pedal that is deigned to model a full amp setup.

Of course, they usually sound nothing like what they're supposed to, but it's also usually a lot better than the typical 15-watt-MG-cranked-with-metal-zone tone.
Mate, you ever heard of Boss. A good friend of mine stopped using his Boss ME-50 and gave it to me for nothing! It is really good. Rather than you google it I will explain it here. It is a Multiple effects unit with three pedals and another pedal (an expression)

The first three pedals are
1. Distortion (11 different distortion types all with varitions making 22. You said you wanted Metal so to achieve that you could choose Metal, DST+ or something else and crank up the drive to Turbo)
2. Modulation (Stuff like Chorus, Harmonist, Phaser)
3. Delay (Add echos or a delay of up to 2 secs)

Then the Expression pedal has Wah, = and - 1 octave, ring mod and two others.

Once you have fiddled about with what pedals you want turned on and off and what settings you can save up to 30 of your favourite tones in the memory.

This is my First effects pedal and I would really recommend it. The only flaw I can find is a slight half a second delay when Changing tones in the memory mode but you can get used to that. It is such a great stomp box and I think it is great for a first Effects pedal.
Quote by kyle62
Not a chance in hell. Your amp is a practice amp, and will not do any kind of convincing metal tone. Apart from anything else, the 8" speaker is simply too small.

naaahhh... Just listen to my tech metal clip in my profile. I think it's a fairly convincing metal tone. And it IS a Rage 158. Not saying it's good, but it doesn't sound like a terrible practice amp.
Last edited by Ignite at Nov 14, 2009,
Quote by Vermintide
Your best bet then is probably running your amp clean, then using some kind of pedal that is deigned to model a full amp setup.

Of course, they usually sound nothing like what they're supposed to, but it's also usually a lot better than the typical 15-watt-MG-cranked-with-metal-zone tone.

Got any good examples?
Philosophy > Life
Quote by MoogleRancha
Got any good examples?

Pro Tone Body Rot II
Pro Tone Skumstortion
Digitech Hardwire Metal Distortion
Wampler Triple Wreck Distortion
Keeley modded MT2
Monte Allums modded MT2
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by parsons19
Mate, you ever heard of Boss. A good friend of mine stopped using his Boss ME-50 and gave it to me for nothing! It is really good. Rather than you google it I will explain it here. It is a Multiple effects unit with three pedals and another pedal (an expression)

The first three pedals are
1. Distortion (11 different distortion types all with varitions making 22. You said you wanted Metal so to achieve that you could choose Metal, DST+ or something else and crank up the drive to Turbo)
2. Modulation (Stuff like Chorus, Harmonist, Phaser)
3. Delay (Add echos or a delay of up to 2 secs)

Then the Expression pedal has Wah, = and - 1 octave, ring mod and two others.

Once you have fiddled about with what pedals you want turned on and off and what settings you can save up to 30 of your favourite tones in the memory.

This is my First effects pedal and I would really recommend it. The only flaw I can find is a slight half a second delay when Changing tones in the memory mode but you can get used to that. It is such a great stomp box and I think it is great for a first Effects pedal.
I have had a ME-50 for about 3-4 years. The gain sounds horrible, and the buffer sucks. It does, however, have some passable mod and delay effects, and the harmonizer can be neat. I dont think it would work for you, TS
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Absolutely no point buying a pedal that costs more than your amp.

Buy a better amp, something like a Vox Valvetronix or a Peavey Vypyr.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Absolutely no point buying a pedal that costs more than your amp.

Buy a better amp, something like a Vox Valvetronix or a Peavey Vypyr.

I say the Vox, I got one for bedroom practice and it's actually a good sounding little amp and pretty easy to dial in a decent sound.