I have a Marshall AVT100 which is a solid state amp with a single valve pre-amp.

I have never been fully happy with the tone I get out of the amp, so rather than buying a new amp (can't afford one) I have decided to try and upgrade this one.
I have ordered a new JJ Tesla Cryo ECC83S valve to replace the stock valve which is about 3 years old now. I am also buying a celestion G12k Speaker to replace the stock celestion in the cab.

Just wondering if anyone can give me an insight into how much to expect from this upgrade. Hopefully give me something to salivate over as I await my parts.
Well, expect it to change, but not as much as you probably hoped for.

The tube will do next to nothing, the speaker however can make it clearer, and tighter bass depedning on the speaker, never played that particular one before though.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by JoePerry4life
Well, expect it to change, but not as much as you probably hoped for.

The tube will do next to nothing, the speaker however can make it clearer, and tighter bass depedning on the speaker, never played that particular one before though.

I think the G12k is the modern day G12h.
i have 4 GH12s i use for everything. theyre part of the old valvestate series from the late 80s/early 90s.

also, if you want to change a tube in a hybrid, most likely you'll have to take the whole amp head/amp section to pieces. the tubes arent really meant to be changable. the whole chassis will probably be in the way.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Running an EQ in the effects loop (if there is one) will probably make a bigger difference than swapping the preamp tube.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Silver-spear94
i have 4 GH12s i use for everything. theyre part of the old valvestate series from the late 80s/early 90s.

also, if you want to change a tube in a hybrid, most likely you'll have to take the whole amp head/amp section to pieces. the tubes arent really meant to be changable. the whole chassis will probably be in the way.

I've had to take the head out b4 to clean the circuit board after my friend spilt a vodka coke in it (luckily it was powered off at the time) It actually comes out really easy. Four screws on the top and the whole head slides out the back and the valve is right there.
Last edited by MechMike at Nov 14, 2009,
Quote by Raijouta
Running an EQ in the effects loop (if there is one) will probably make a bigger difference than swapping the preamp tube.

Yes, there is an effects loop. Never used it before, but I thought it was just for sticking a pedal through instead of the guitar--->pedal--->amp........If you, or anyone else, could give me an insight into what uses it has I would be very grateful.........I'm always happy to increase my knoledge of my equipment. Thanks

EDIT: Google is a wonderful thing. Found a wealth of info on effects loops to read up on.
Thanks for your suggestion but........you've got me thinking now about more ways to breath more life into this amp.
Last edited by MechMike at Nov 14, 2009,
The speaker change will probably make more of a difference than the tube change will...but an EQ pedal would probably be your best bet.