Hi, i currently own a Line 6 Pod Studio UX1, and I love the tones from Pod Farm. Im also getting a Macbook, so thats pretty cool as well. I was thinking of selling my current amp (Crate Flexwave FW15R) to buy a pair of studio monitors and use my pod studio as my main amp. obiously, the first con is the fact that I have to take my computer everywhere i intend to play, but i dont think that is a problem.

what o you guys think of this??

thanks
Brasil.

Quote by Daneeka
I heard there is uranium gas in the tubes. So you could easily make a little nuclear blast. If i were you, i wouldn't want to start the World War III.

THE SHORT BACK AND SIDES !!!

Fender Jaguar HH
Digitech RP355
Stick with the amp. It's less easy to break than a laptop, and probably less expensive.

Macbooks are expensive... I know, I used to have one. Worst buy ever for the price...
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

I play guitar rig through a home stereo receiver and my cerwin vega bookshelf speakers and I love the sound from them over playing the guitar rig through an amp. With the modelling software, it come out better through hifi speakers/monitors. Go for it. I actually got sick of being tether to my pc and got myself an amp. lol. I went the other way.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
You wont get the speaker sound from a computer. The speaker in the guitar amp has a very big effect on tone
Oh ya, PS. Stay away from a mac. For the price of the Mac you could buy yourself a highend PC and your studio monitors and still have money leftover.
Vox AD30VT-XL

Guitar Rig 3
Quote by tim_mop
You wont get the speaker sound from a computer. The speaker in the guitar amp has a very big effect on tone

Modeling software models the amp and speakers and cabinets and micing the cabinet to give you a hifi ready sound like you would get if you miced a real amp and recorded it.
Vox AD30VT-XL

Guitar Rig 3
I'd say give it a go with a cheap beater laptop, but you'd be crazy to do it with a Macbook that costs twice as much as a decent amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by GeToChKn
Oh ya, PS. Stay away from a mac. For the price of the Mac you could buy yourself a highend PC and your studio monitors and still have money leftover.

hardly think I could.

Quote by steven seagull
I'd say give it a go with a cheap beater laptop, but you'd be crazy to do it with a Macbook that costs twice as much as a decent amp.

well, im getting the macbook anyway, my current computer is no longer keeping up.

Quote by tim_mop

you can in pod farm, with their awesome speaker emulation technology. you can pick size of cab, speakers, mic, distance from mic and whatnot.
Brasil.

Quote by Daneeka
I heard there is uranium gas in the tubes. So you could easily make a little nuclear blast. If i were you, i wouldn't want to start the World War III.

Fender Jaguar HH
Digitech RP355
I practice with guitar rig through a stereo receiver and 8" speakers. I can get a decent tone, and recording guitar tracks is convenient.

If you want to play out with it, I wouldn't recommend it. For the price of a good interface + a macbook, you could buy an insane live rig.

Even if you are getting a new macbook, I would consider it in your budget.
/rig
Quote by mespinos
I practice with guitar rig through a stereo receiver and 8" speakers. I can get a decent tone, and recording guitar tracks is convenient.

If you want to play out with it, I wouldn't recommend it. For the price of a good interface + a macbook, you could buy an insane live rig.

Even if you are getting a new macbook, I would consider it in your budget.

yes, i understand the points, but the thing is, im getting the macbook anyway. i need a new computer, and im not gonna sacrifice that for a live rig, especially since i dont actually gig.

my question is: i have a macbook and a pod studio. is it worth selling my amp for studio monitors??

i DO NOT NEED editorials on how macs suck or are the worst buy of your lives
Brasil.

Quote by Daneeka

Fender Jaguar HH
Digitech RP355
You did ask for opinions, and that was what was given. Chill out for a minute, then listen to what they are saying. Between this and your handy search bar, you can find out that:
Your laptop is more likely to crash
Amps are all-around more reliable than laptops
If you are in a live setting, you can just run it through the PA anyway
However, in some live settings, the PA may not cut it
Also, with an amp, you have more of an ear on your own sound.

It sounds to me like you do not want an opinion at all, but a confirmation of your choice that you have already made in your mind, so do whatever the hell you want.
Listen to my songs on my profile pretty please

Quote by SamhainGrim
I wish a had a vagina to go with my penis...:[
^just pretend he already has the macbook, this has no relevance to his question.

Since your current amp if I'm correct is a cheap solid state amp that probably sounds terrible, sure try and sell it but you won't get enough money from it to buy nice monitor speakers. You also need a receiver to plug in the studio monitors. So 2 good monitors + receiver, would be nice to have (you can use it for lots of other things to, music/movies, etc), but it would probably cost over $500.

I personally think it is much more convenient to have a stand alone amp, but the computer->speaker setup is a solid temporary setup to hold one over till they can get a nice amp.

Even reasonably inexpensive speakers will probably sound better than your current amp and they would serve a dual purpose. For example, my low end $150 Logitech 2.1 system using Reaver and a 5150 simulator sounds better than the vox modeling amp I had for short while, but I definitely prefer using my current tube amp over the computer simulation.
JVM 410H
Blackstar HT5c
Jackson KV5FR
ESP LTD H-302
Last edited by ninjab at Dec 10, 2009,
I use Pod farm through monitor speakers (alesis M1 active mk2) for home practice and it's fantastic. It also makes listening to normal music great through them.

But i have a different rig for live. I would never gig with studio monitors. Although you can play pod farm through a P.A rig for gigging use, but i hate trusting a computer for your tone AND switching between presets can be a pain.

The reason i hate trusting a computer is because there's so many things to go wrong. Lets say your mac picks up wireless internet, and decides to bring up the window for connecting to the net. This could stop your sound, or play some ungodly BEEP through the speakers. =/

If your wondering how i connect mine up. I use the active monitors since they don't need a power amp AND my toneport UX2 has analogue outs on the back for the speakers. Monitor speakers use two phono or two XLR's. One for each speaker.
Last edited by vegetoe01 at Dec 10, 2009,
If you do use a computer for live performance, boot up a copy of linux with only the amp modeling program and nothing else on it. That will probably fix that issue.
Listen to my songs on my profile pretty please

Quote by SamhainGrim
I wish a had a vagina to go with my penis...:[