http://www.frontiernet.net/~jff/moonlight/Moonlight_cranked_amp_tone_at_non-lethal_volume.html

That's the amp i have chosen.
Mainly because it seems relatively simple, and it's a reasonalble wattage to use at home.

My component list :
Capacitors:

2X 22uf, 450V
47uf, 450V
10uf, 450V
4X 0.1uf, 400V
0.02uf, 400V
0.01uf, 400V
620pf, 400V
0.33uf, 100V
10uf, 25V

Resistors:
1K, 5W
6K8, 1W
2X 100K
2X 2K2
3X 220K
5X 470K
1M
360, 2W

500K Tone Pot
1M Volume Pot

Tubes:
5Y3GT
6SN7GTA/B
6SL7GT
6EJ7/EF184

Turret board: 7.75" x 2.25" x 0.125" G10-FR4
Tube sockets for the 4 tubes
Mono, stereo jacks
Output and Power Transformers.

As of now, i've got the resistors, the electrolytic capacitors and jacks.
The signal caps im ordering from turretboards.com.
As well as the sockets and pots [since they need to be pretty high quality, and you don't get those around here]
I'll probably have those sometime in December.

I've found a guy who hand winds transformers, and will be getting mine from him.
I'll also be using a generic lugboard instead of the turret board.

I still dont know what kind of chassis im going to get/use.
This build is obviously going to take a while, but im in no hury and plan to do the best job i can.

So....updates when i have any.
Feel free to post your thoughts/opinions regarding this.
Thats awesome, i abandoned effect building for amp modding, because i realised my effects worth nothing without a solid background (the amp).

My Champ have a highly modded circuit, i swapped almost every important part of the amp, a new output transformer is on the way, i will build an extension cab in a few weeks, so far i have only a new Jensen C8R, but i will try my amp with a 1x12 cabinet in the future, and if i will like what i hear, i will buy a 12" speaker.

Your tubes are looking interesting. I never heard about any of them. Are they smaller than the typical tube sizes? (12ax7, el34, 6v6 etc.)
******A Console Cowboy****** 1
Quote by Daneeka

My Champ have a highly modded circuit, i swapped almost every important part of the amp, a new output transformer is on the way, i will build an extension cab in a few weeks, so far i have only a new Jensen C8R, but i will try my amp with a 1x12 cabinet in the future, and if i will like what i hear, i will buy a 12" speaker.

Sounds great!

I've not heard many tones from the Champ I really like.
Maybe you could post some clips?

I'd love a nice CLEAN low wattage amp.
[which i know my build isn't going to be....1 Watt doesn't offer too much headroom ]

Quote by Daneeka

Your tubes are looking interesting. I never heard about any of them. Are they smaller than the typical tube sizes? (12ax7, el34, 6v6 etc.)

I don't know much about these tubes (or many tubes in general). This is sort of a learn-as-i-go thing. I've got a friend who has built quite a few awesome amps, and he's helping me get this project up and running.

I'll do some research and get back to you.
They aren't smaller.

The preamp tube is a noval (9 pin) and is probably about the same size as a 12ax7 or other

The other three tubes are octal (8 pin) and may be shorter than other tubes like an el34 or 6v6, i'm not entirely sure if they are shorter as I do not know their measurements, but they will be the same diameter as other octal tubes.
Quote by unet
Sounds great!

I've not heard many tones from the Champ I really like.
Maybe you could post some clips?

I'd love a nice CLEAN low wattage amp.
[which i know my build isn't going to be....1 Watt doesn't offer too much headroom ]

I tried out my new speaker without a cab, just on its own just to make sure it's work because i won't have a cab sooner than 1-2 weeks.

This way i could make sure that there will be no rattling and unwanted vibration when i crank the amp but it still sounded bad cranked. It had a harsh clipping altough it was much better than the stock speaker.

My tubes are a Tung-Sol 12AX7 and a JJ6V6, they supposed to sound good overdriven and i heard better clips of my speaker so the problem is the amp.
My last hope is the Output transformer which is really shit in this amp, so it could be the source of the harsh clipping. Also i should convert the fixed tonestack into a variable one so i could roll off bass and highs which are overwhelming in the stock settings. I just have to order three pots, but i have to order them from abroad so i have to wait until i have an enough big order to make them worth buying.

But it sounded very nice clean, even without a cabinet and i won't be able to crank it anyways so im fine with it.
******A Console Cowboy****** 1
Yeah...the overdrive's unnecessary grittiness was the problem i had as well.

Theoretically, you should get about 5 watts of clean signal, correct?
[before it OD's]

Gah...i need to do some reading tubes and toob theory.

Also, where do you live, and where are you ordering from?
Quote by stykerwolf
Weird tubes, i have never heard of those before

I might try a build like this when i can talk my grandpa into amp building

Your grandpa knows about amp building?

I didn't really consider the tubes used when i picked this project.
It was suggested to me because apparently it sounds Very good, and it's a realtively simple build for a first amp project.
Quote by unet

Your grandpa knows about amp building?

I didn't really consider the tubes used when i picked this project.
It was suggested to me because apparently it sounds Very good, and it's a realtively simple build for a first amp project.

He knows A LOT about tubes, he was one of the last people to study tubes in uni, then transistors came out and he was all like "fuuuuuuuuu"

But yeah, the second i showed him a schematic he was like "Push-pull, that's class A, single end, hmm that shouldn't be there, it should be here" and i was like :O

I'm super interested on this, can you link me some clips?
Quote by stykerwolf
He knows A LOT about tubes, he was one of the last people to study tubes in uni, then transistors came out and he was all like "fuuuuuuuuu"

Although, lucky you!
He could probably help you build/troubleshoot.

Quote by stykerwolf

I'm super interested on this, can you link me some clips?

Well the guy who gave me the schem says he heard clips a while ago, when the project used to be a part of the AX84 project.
I've not been able to find any recently....sorry!

Accepted!

It's going to take me a while though, because all my capacitors and sockets will only be here December end.
And i still have no idea what im going to do for the chassis!

Ideas?
Quote by stykerwolf
Drill it yourself, it isn't the hardest thing in the world to do.

Not a bad idea....i'll have to give it a try.

Quote by stykerwolf
Where are you going to get the OT and PT from?

Quote by unet

I've found a guy who hand winds transformers, and will be getting mine from him.

I've heard them in a few amps which sounded really good.

Unfortunately, i haven't actually heard an amp with high quality transformers compared to one that doesn't so i have no reference.
But these should be good from what i've heard.
Hey man, this looks cool. I recommend using a cake pan for the chassis. I was thinking about doing a first time project like this too. I probably won't have the time/funds till after x-mas though.

Good luck though (btw, if the chassis turns out to be a problem I could help you out. My dad and I have built sheds, stages, tables, etc. together so I have plenty of tools, machines, and experience)

EDIT: I thought you were making a combo. If your just making the head then you probably don't need my help. But if you need a chassis, cabinet casing, etc...
Last edited by canvasDude at Nov 14, 2009,
Quote by stykerwolf
Ah

the thing is, i read that part haha

i should stop drinking this weird drink now

Probably...

Quote by canvasDude
Hey man, this looks cool. I recommend using a cake pan for the chassis. I was thinking about doing a first time project like this too. I probably won't have the time/funds till after x-mas though.

Good luck though (btw, if the chassis turns out to be a problem I could help you out. My dad and I have built sheds, stages, tables, etc. together so I have plenty of tools, machines, and experience)

EDIT: I thought you were making a combo. If your just making the head then you probably don't need my help. But if you need a chassis, cabinet casing, etc...

I think as of now, i'll be making a head and running it through the speakers in one of my other combos.

I also won't be able to complete this till after Christmas, as i'll only be getting most of the components then!

If i need any help, i'll be sure to ask you first.
Quote by stykerwolf
Drill it yourself, it isn't the hardest thing in the world to do.

Where are you going to get the OT and PT from?

Agreed. I drilled a Fender Harvard and Fender Tweed Deluxe chassis myself from drill bits and black and decker wood hole bits. Although I'd use a unibit if you can get a hold of one. They're easy to use, and although they are somewhat expensive, it will pay off in the long run.

It's not that hard at all. Just requires your utmost patience.
Are you planning to make the chassis from wood or metal? If metal, you could just get some aluminum sheet metal. Then cut it into 5 pieces (if you want the back open) and basically make a box. Although getting a cheapo cake pan from Walmart and going at it with a drill press might be a tad easier.
Quote by canvasDude
Are you planning to make the chassis from wood or metal? If metal, you could just get some aluminum sheet metal. Then cut it into 5 pieces (if you want the back open) and basically make a box. Although getting a cheapo cake pan from Walmart and going at it with a drill press might be a tad easier.

India doesn't have Walmart

I think i'll make the amp chassis from aluminium sheet metal, like you said.
The head cabinet itself, will obviously be some kind of wood.
Quote by unet
India doesn't have Walmart

I think i'll make the amp chassis from aluminum sheet metal, like you said.
The head cabinet itself, will obviously be some kind of wood.

When you say amp chassis you mean the box the amps guts are housed in right? So the head cabinet is the speaker cabinet or what? Either way, do you have any shop tools. Your gonna have to bend the edges of each side of the aluminum box to 90 degree angles, then use bolts to secure one side to the next.
Last edited by canvasDude at Nov 15, 2009,
Quote by canvasDude
When you say amp chassis you mean the box the amps guts are housed in right? So the head cabinet is the speaker cabinet or what? Either way, do you have any shop tools. Your gonna have to bend the edges of each side of the aluminum box to 90 degree angles, then use bolts to secure one side to the next.

I dont have any shop tools, i'll be borrowing them from a friend.

By amp chassis, i mean this:
(The metal part only)

By head cabinet, i mean this:

Basically, the thing the amp chassis fits into, covered by some sort of grill or cloth.