for christmas im gonna get a new amp...i have 180 eusro saved up right now and am expecting to get another 200 or so

i would rather spend under 300 if possible

i play rock (alt and classic) so i wont really need a heavy distortion sound like of metal (the heaviest i play i s nirvana...i also play pearl jam, led zeppelin, RHCP amongst others)

i would prefer it if it was tube but a hybrid would be good as well, SS as a las choice only

i play in a band so i would need to be heard over drums but im also going to use it for practise (but i play a lot unplugged so itwont be on all the time, so little volume is not that important

i have a squier strat and i would like it if it can take pedals well

i saw the fender super champ but at the shop next to me it cost 350 euro (a bit expensive)...i presume its because its not a europian amp...
can someone suggest any amps that would be good or if the super champ would be worth it, because in a couple of years time (dont know but i will) ill be getting a new guitar (fender) and i want to to give its full potential so would it last me that long?

thank you
A tube in the preamp of Hybrid amp doesn't do alot at all, It's basically a marketing scheme. Will you be gigging?
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Which part of Europe do you live in?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I would look at the Marshall Class 5 or ValvePower 18w
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Quote by Raijouta
Which part of Europe do you live in?

rather not say (identity thing you know?) but its south

but the shops get instruments from everywhere (fender, gibson, esp, laney, vox...ive seen almost everything)

what im terying to say is: for 350 euro is the super champ worth it or are there better ones for that price range, or cheaper ones which are just as good?

i think i weill settle for an SS incase there isnt a good tube amp

please suggest some amps which are wll in my budget (350 MAX)
Last edited by '93 at Nov 14, 2009,
Quote by Jak Archer
I would look at the Marshall Class 5 or ValvePower 18w

i looked at the marshall...would %W be good enough to practise with...i was hoping for at least 15

the valvepower 18W seems good (its the cage right?) but i couldnt find much on it and i doubt the shops near m would have it + its a bit expensive
Super Champ XD.

Quote by Jak Archer
A tube in the preamp of Hybrid amp doesn't do alot at all, It's basically a marketing scheme. Will you be gigging?
There are several types of hybrids so this statement is a little value without more clarification.
Vox AC4 would suit you well, you might want a pedal for the heavier Nirvana stuff though.
yeah i hvae the ds-1 (perfect for nirvava )
thing is effects are secondary as i can buy pedals and what not which i prefer due to them being easy to change during songs

right now my band only consists of a bassist (wsho hasnt even got a bass yet) and a guitarist and we plan on keeping it this way for a while
so i might not need to much volume

for me the DSP board is not that useful as i change my effects during song

what i want to know is whether a good cheaper 5W amp would sound better than the super champ (such as the epiphone valve junior or the vox ac4) and would the super champ be able to easily play above drums or would i need another amp later

i would prefer to spend less so the way i see it is
5W=cheaper now, but ill have to get a bigger amp eventually
super champ=might be loud enough but if it isnt then it would amount to even more as eventually id have to get a better amp

also if i were to plug a 5W into a cab would the volume difference be enough to play in a band?
Quote by '93
what i want to know is whether a good cheaper 5W amp would sound better than the super champ (such as the epiphone valve junior or the vox ac4) and would the super champ be able to easily play above drums or would i need another amp later
No and yes. The Super Champ XD is a 15 watt tube amp. It will be loud enough to hear over drums and you can add a cab if you want.

I've had a Epi Vjr and cab for quite a while. It does sound good with a pedalboard, but not really so much by itself. The XD is far better than a Epi Vjr. The built in voicing is better than most run of the mill pedals, and it can be used with pedals on the clean channel. $300 for the XD is a better value than $250 for a Vjr head/cab. And the Vjr combo without a cab isn't worth talking about.
so asll in all the super champ would be the best buy? it is good enough to really bring out the best in a guitar, even a fender?(i know its not some amazing mp but i want it to be good enough that ill be content with it for a long long time)