Hello! I'm gonna order a MiM Strat (Artic White, Maple Neck) in a couple days, and i still haven't decided what kind of pickup configuration i want. I play all kinds off music, mostly metal, rock, funk, progressive, blues. You name it, i play it.

My favourite bands/artists are: Dream Theater, Metallica, Red hot Chili Peppers, Children Of Bodom, SRV, Jimi Hendrix, Alter Bridge, Yes, and many more.

So i was thinking about the HSS version with these pickups:

Neck: Dimarzio Air Norton 5
Middle: SD SSL-1
Bridge (Humbucker) : Dimarzio Crunch Lab

Will this give me a good not to trebbly metal sound, but also the clean singlecoil SRV/ Frusciante sounds?

Amps are a Valve Junior and a Blackstar ht-5 running into homemade cabs.

Thanks in advance!
Quote by MightyAl
Isn't it odd, that Iron Man is a superhero, whereas "iron, woman!" is a command?

EAT MY ASS AND BALLS.
^ seems like a good plan. If you intend to be able to play the heavy stuff you really should have the humbucker option
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
Personally id go HSS.

I have a SSS strat, and I love all the bands you mentioned and play a lot of similar style songs and I usually use my neck and middle pups as I love the tone that comes out of them.

I rarely use the bridge pickup because it sounds so airy and dry and doesnt provide the real crunch id like to get out of it to make it useful, so I just stick with the neck and mid.

So that is why I say HSS, because I wish I had a humbucker in the bridge, and we enjoy similar music.

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
Quote by pete-c
HSS with a coil split switch for the humbucker? Works nice for me.

And you have a very sexy Strat!

Thanks for the input people, more is welcome!
Quote by MightyAl
Isn't it odd, that Iron Man is a superhero, whereas "iron, woman!" is a command?

EAT MY ASS AND BALLS.
You could get stacked humbuckers. I've never personally used them, but if you prefer the overall look of the SSS strat as I do compared to the HSS, then that could be an option.

I've never had any problems playing those bands or anything similiar to them with a normal SSS strat, both on my MIM and my EJ strat.
The HSS coil split is a great suggestion, I have to say.

As for the pickups, you might struggle to get the SRV cleans with those pups, but you're going to have to decide where you want the guitars focus to be and compromise a bit elsewhere.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by pete-c

I've never looked into this idea, but this sounds sick. Is this the same as having the standard 5 single coil options as well as the 2 humbucker ones at the flip of a switch? If you wire this way does it affect the single coil original sounds at all? (would it sound exactly the same compared to a normal wiring?) Also, how do the humbucker options compare to a standard humbucker wired guitar? If they sound the exact same I don't understand why everyone wouldn't want this. I suppose if you simply just don't play a style of music, but then it's always fun to have options.
Quote by pete-c

+100000

I was going to reccomend the same thing, best of both worlds.

EDIT: ^ the coil split on the humbucker will give you a SSS sound when you split the humbucker, so you get a more Strat style twang, better for cleans too. And when you dont have the split going you get the HSS sound, which is better for metal or other high gain music that single coils dont handle well.
Last edited by ethan_hanus at Nov 14, 2009,
Quote by metalbaswee
And you have a very sexy Strat!
Thankye :]
Quote by Naptime
I've never looked into this idea, but this sounds sick. Is this the same as having the standard 5 single coil options as well as the 2 humbucker ones at the flip of a switch?
Yeah, pretty much. I've got it so the 5 way selector works as normal, but the second tone knob is a push/push pot which, when up, turns off one of the humbucker coils.
Quote by Naptime
If you wire this way does it affect the single coil original sounds at all? (would it sound exactly the same compared to a normal wiring?)
With the humbucker split i'd say it sounds about... 80-90% similar to a normal single coil, though it's hard to remember. I'm just judging from old recordings I have of it from when it was SSS. So it won't sound *exactly* the same, but definitely close enough.

Handy though. Instead of 5 different tones you get 7 (though there's not much of a tonal difference between middle+bridge humbucker and split). But to add to that madness i'm thinking of making the first tone knob a push/push as well to activate the neck pickup in the other pickup selections so I could have neck+bridge on etc. 9 pickup selections?
Last edited by pete-c at Nov 14, 2009,
I hope I'm not derailing this thread. I think this is a great option for op and a possibility for me also , Pete ok so you have HSS with a coil split and that yields a SSS (5 options) and HSS (H only + HS toggled, 2 more) so 7 correct? Is there a setup where you can get the 5 SSS and 3 HH's? Iguess this would be a HSH with 2 coil split. You would get 100% sound from the Humbuckers and 80-90% sound from the Single Coil options b/c of coil split (% of what the original pup sound). Say you wanted it slightly different. You want to make sure all the Single Coil options sound exactly like a standard strat would. So it would be 100% SC sound and 80-90% Humbucker sound. Do you see what I mean?
i would also agree with the HSS and splitting the 'bucker. but then i would give one of the two single coils over to your RHCP/SRV/Hendrix/etc stuff. i would go with a nice handwound neck pickup that targets a 60's strat tone. wont be perfect for everything, but its going to be better than something that is from a big company. a lot of the people who make handwound pickups do a fantastic job of their vintage styles. ive got a set of these (V60's) in my strat, and something like that would work well for you in the neck position. i think its fairly similar price to what you wanted anyway. there are other options out there, thats just one ive used.
Thanks for all the input! you have been a great help! *gives e-cookies*
Quote by MightyAl

EAT MY ASS AND BALLS.
Quote by Naptime
I hope I'm not derailing this thread. I think this is a great option for op and a possibility for me also , Pete ok so you have HSS with a coil split and that yields a SSS (5 options) and HSS (H only + HS toggled, 2 more) so 7 correct? Is there a setup where you can get the 5 SSS and 3 HH's? Iguess this would be a HSH with 2 coil split. You would get 100% sound from the Humbuckers and 80-90% sound from the Single Coil options b/c of coil split (% of what the original pup sound). Say you wanted it slightly different. You want to make sure all the Single Coil options sound exactly like a standard strat would. So it would be 100% SC sound and 80-90% Humbucker sound. Do you see what I mean?

You could prolly order some Fender humbucker with the coil split option on them, that would give you a pertty much 100% single coil tone.
Having a humbucker in the bridge (subsequently probably having a 500k pot instead of a 250k one) changes the sound of the single coils on the guitar slightly. I say SSS over HSS, because I don't think you get the "best of both worlds" at all with HSS. You get a piece of both worlds. HH and SSS are my favorite pup configurations, followed by HSH. On any HSH guitar I usually end up lowering the middle pup all the way and never using it. I also like having a coil split option on any humbucker, but even that won't give you the same single coil tone as a true single coil.
^ Oh yeah that's a good point to consider actually for a HSS setup. I left my pots as 250ks, so although you don't get the full 'roar' of the humbucker, more of a chunkier smoother tone, it leaves the middle singlecoil and the split bridge coil from sounding too harsh/brittle. But if you want a more clear and agressive sounding humbucker you'll have to use a 500k for the bridge tone control at least.

Probably best to switch the first tone control to adjust the neck and middle pickups and have it a 250k, then use the second tone control as bridge tone only as a 500k?
Last edited by pete-c at Nov 14, 2009,