http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/8246-alesis-io2.html

I was looking at this, wandering if its the best I can get for the price. Ideally I'd like something that will record a PA system also.

Does this one?

It'll be used to direct recording at home and also live recording hopefully (band practice and gigs).

EDIT: Also, if im recording vocals via an interface using a dynamic mic, and record an acoustic guitar also using the interface, will the mic pick a lot of the guitar up?
Last edited by Saamon at Nov 14, 2009,
That will record a PA system if you hook it up to the right outputs (i.e. non-powered ones)
It looks decent from the spec, though can't comment on it's sound quality. It is phantom powered though, i HATE things which are phantom powered, i think that may just be me though. I just find them more hassle than it's worth...
How will you be trying to record this PA system? Using line outs from the mixer? You could make it work with that interface one way or another I think.

And if you want to do live recording, you'll very likely need more than 2 inputs unless you have...well. No. I have a 2 input interface and it is a bitch to record a live band unless you just want to hit it all with an omni mic which wouldn't sound as good as miking everyone individually. But if you are on a budget, it can be done and I do it.

For your edit, it depends on the mic you are using, placement, room, etc. If you get an SM57 and put it right against your mouth, you'll get some background guitar, but it'll sound thin and your voice will be overpowering in the mix. If you wanted to record both at the same time, you'd be better of with an omni directional condenser or something along the lines of that.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Nov 14, 2009,
Ok, well this is pretty much all I can afford right now, but I think it'll be good enough. And I think it should be definitely good enough for making band demo's if I record each part individually.
Quote by Saamon
Ok, well this is pretty much all I can afford right now, but I think it'll be good enough. And I think it should be definitely good enough for making band demo's if I record each part individually.

Oh definitely. That's what I do. I either record each track in stereo, or do two at a time. It should suit your needs perfectly if that's what you'll be doing.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712