I have recently started listening to Paco de Lucia's music and his finger speed has left me dumb struck. I just wanted to know if his speed is the norm for flamenco guitar, or is he a notch above other flamenco players?
Well he's one of the fastest....I saw him with Al and John, Paco was the most impressive of the 3 to me.
Well that's what got me interested in him (I went from John Petrucci-->Al Di Meola-->Paco). But when he plays alone it's quite a spectacle. I find it awesome to the point of envy that his fingers are that fast (being an acoustic/electric fingerstyle bassist).
Paco Pena is another flamenco guitarist in a similar vein, but less technical; he has a range of books that might be of help to you if you're just getting into this genre. Check out his album Toques Flamenco.
Quote by edgarvanburen
Well that's what got me interested in him (I went from John Petrucci-->Al Di Meola-->Paco). But when he plays alone it's quite a spectacle. I find it awesome to the point of envy that his fingers are that fast (being an acoustic/electric fingerstyle bassist).

It was John McLaughlin you meant not Petrucci?
Quote by Tempoe
It was John McLaughlin you meant not Petrucci?

No I meant Petrucci: Petrucci speaks highly of Al; that's what got me into his stuff.
Quote by Tempoe
Well he's one of the fastest....I saw him with Al and John, Paco was the most impressive of the 3 to me.

My vote to Al,

but paco plain kills it, brilliant, baselines, shreds, melody all at the same time
INSANE!!
If you want to get laid, go to college,
If you want education go to a library

-Frank Zappa-