I've been playing guitar for a few years and I'd like to advance my improvisation since at this point, it kinda blows. I've already taken Music Theory classes and I'm currently taking AP Music Theory at my school, so I don't need to have music theory itself explained to me. Just how to apply it to the fretboard. Any recommendations? An online guide or something explaining this would be even better if possible.
Quote by Spitz13
**** you, i live in uruguay.
listen so solos/riffs from bands you like, learn em and analyse them. Then apply them into your improvisation, guess it's your phrasing you want to improve. Just a tip.

And when it comes to books and such things I have no idea, ever looked through UG TV:s videos? YOu should be able to find something there. Don't know if this was helpful but I hope so ^^
The way I learned how to improvise was just through knowing the Pentatonic Scale. But not mostly that, but through practice and experimenting. Trying to figure out what notes sound good with other notes. Theory just gives you a set of rules to follow, and one days these rules need to be broken to give yourself your own style, or else you become another common guitarist.
OP, read these!:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0962477060/ref=oss_T15_product
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0962477028/ref=oss_T15_product

Bonus: buying both gets you free shipping!*
Downside: Fretboard Logic III isn't as universally helpful.

*Some restrictions apply.

:EDIT: Wait, are you looking to get better at improvising or get a better understanding of how music theory applies to the fretboard?
Last edited by iforgot120 at Nov 14, 2009,
know your theory. also i wouldnt call it rules as much as guidelines. it gives you a starting point until you know enough to do all sorts of key changes modal things. some people will tell you its all just rules limiting you and just to play what sounds good, either route will get you to the same place if you practice enough. but if you know your theory you will know what its called.
Quote by iforgot120
Wait, are you looking to get better at improvising or get a better understanding of how music theory applies to the fretboard?

I'm hoping that the latter will help me achieve the former.
Anyway, I got Fretboard Logic and I'm reading through it now.
Quote by Spitz13
**** you, i live in uruguay.
as a self taught musician i've read ALOT of books. You can take my word that fretboard logic is different than most.
desi serna's book fretboard theory is a must for those who want to apply their theory to the fretboard. It is much easier to understand than fretboard logic and also has a list of many songs in which you can practise what you have learnt.