I have a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser that i love, but im already running 2 high gain amps [a Mesa Dual Rec, and a Peavey 6505+] and noticed that my passive jb/59s sound better through them and offer more clarity. So im assuming i dont need pickups as high output as emgs?
if not, what are the best passives for metal/metalcore/hardcore?
I played a JEM that made the amps shine, and i use a jb/59 set in my les paul for back up, but im thinking something slightly more high out put than jb/59.
Gear:

Fender Roadhouse Strat
EC-1000 JB/'59
Fender Mark Hoppus bass
Eleven Rack
Peavey Classic 50 power amp
GK Neo 4x10
dude I like u already
Finally some one who realized that there can be too much gain.

what style of music?
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
You planning on selling those EMG's?
In order to live, you must be ready to die

R.I.P. DIO

FUCK JUSTIN BIEBER

Quote by Metallica_AC/DC
a mental asylum called Mike

Quote by Masamune
That's cuz you mad...Mike.

Sorry, had to get my corniness out of the way.
Last edited by Mad Mike 829 at Nov 14, 2009,
duncan distortion maybe?
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
A Duncan distortion would be too hot.

A Custom 5/'59 combo, maybe?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Passive Seymour Duncans seem to be good.

Here's a youtube video comparing Active EMGs and Passive Duncans on guitars that have every other spec the same.

Part I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSDac4In9ho

Part II
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOi09d1rwEc

Part III
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSjy8FUq7Zc

I thought this video was very educational.
Guitars:
DBZ Bird of Prey Blood Red
Jose Feliciano Acoustic Guitar Debut Series Natural
Amp:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 60W 1x12 Guitar Combo Amp
Pedal:
Peavey Sanpera I
Tuner:
intellitouch PT10 Tuner (Chromatic)
Last edited by Biblico at Nov 15, 2009,
For the bridge you could check out a DiMarzio ToneZone or Evolution possibly....
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
if u want seymour duncan, pearly gates in neck and custom/custom custom in bridge.

if u want dimarzio, paf pro or air norton in neck and d sonic or crunch lab in bridge.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by Biblico
Passive Seymour Duncans seem to be good.

Here's a youtube video comparing Active EMGs and Passive Duncans on guitars that have every other spec the same.

Part I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSDac4In9ho

Part II
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOi09d1rwEc

Part III
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSjy8FUq7Zc

I thought this video was very educational.

It's not, really, though.
EMGs were designed to be used in a mid-to-high gain tube amplifier, not a solid state modeling amp. EMGs sound absolutely HORRID through modeling amps. A fair comparison would be playing both guitars through a cranked all-tube Marshall or Bogner, instead of a Spider III. This video was most likely designed with the intent to fool people into thinking that EMGs will sound crappy compared to passive Duncans 100% of the time, when in fact, anything through a Spider III will sound crappy 100% of the time anyway. If someone did an unbiased comparison through a proper amplifier, it would be up to the listener to decide fairly.

If your EMGs sound too gainy, perhaps you should back down the gain on your amp before buying new pots and pickups, and possibly paying for installation or a soldering iron. Most of the issues people have with pickups that are actually of good quality can be solved by re-EQing their amp, instead of replacing their pickups, so you might want to try that before you spend a bunch of money.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Quote by Justice4AllOne
EMGs were designed to be used in a mid-to-high gain tube amplifier, not a solid state modeling amp. EMGs sound absolutely HORRID through modeling amps. A fair comparison would be playing both guitars through a cranked all-tube Marshall or Bogner, instead of a Spider III. This video was most likely designed with the intent to fool people into thinking that EMGs will sound crappy compared to passive Duncans 100% of the time, when in fact, anything through a Spider III will sound crappy 100% of the time anyway. If someone did an unbiased comparison through a proper amplifier, it would be up to the listener to decide fairly.

If your EMGs sound too gainy, perhaps you should back down the gain on your amp before buying new pots and pickups, and possibly paying for installation or a soldering iron. Most of the issues people have with pickups that are actually of good quality can be solved by re-EQing their amp, instead of replacing their pickups, so you might want to try that before you spend a bunch of money.

Listen to Justice here. Not only is the man 100% correct here that EMG's + Spider III = ear lobotomy, but he's probably one of the most intelligent people about EMG's I've read on this forum, actually knows about what they're meant to do rather than spouting bandwagon dribble/myths.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Yup I agree, EMG's through a tube amp and not cranking the distortion as much as with passives make them sound great. Different pickups, different settings, its pretty simple. 18v mod also works wonders!
Quote by DSOTM80
Yup I agree, EMG's through a tube amp and not cranking the distortion as much as with passives make them sound great. Different pickups, different settings, its pretty simple. 18v mod also works wonders!

While the 18v mod does make EMGs sound much better distorted, if you care at all about your clean tone, you won't do it (and you'll probably be using an 81/60, 81/SA/SA, or 81/SA/60 set). Your cleans really suffer under the 18v mod.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo

Quote by oneblackened
I have it in a single pickup guitar with an 81 in there so it isn't really meant for clean playing, but I get what you mean

Edit:
Maybe you're referring to playing clean and the 18v mod with single coil EMG's? cause I've heard its not worth it with the SA for example, some people said it actually made them sound worse. While with the humbucker EMG's it has the opposite effect
Last edited by DSOTM80 at Nov 15, 2009,
No, it really does ruin the clean tone of the 85 (which isn't too great anyway) and the 60 (which is really awesome clean) too.
But I have heard using the 18v mod on single coil EMGs isn't worth it, but I've never personally done it.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem

Quote by MightySumo

Quote by oneblackened
Quote by holycow
if u want seymour duncan, pearly gates in neck and custom/custom custom in bridge.

if u want dimarzio, paf pro or air norton in neck and d sonic or crunch lab in bridge.

here
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape
Quote by Justice4AllOne

I didn't know that about EMGs. I hope that my Vypyr Tube 60 gives my BoP some justice when it finally arrives. I know that it's not the greatest, but I figured that It would keep me going until I can afford some Diamond amps (I want the Nitrox).

About the video... The only thing I got out of it was that passive Duncans are good alternatives to active EMGs. I didn't see it as a video that was bashing EMGs.

I'm an EMG person, but also I know a lot of people that swear by Duncans.
Guitars:
DBZ Bird of Prey Blood Red
Jose Feliciano Acoustic Guitar Debut Series Natural
Amp:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 60W 1x12 Guitar Combo Amp
Pedal:
Peavey Sanpera I
Tuner:
intellitouch PT10 Tuner (Chromatic)
Last edited by Biblico at Nov 15, 2009,
Quote by Justice4AllOne
While the 18v mod does make EMGs sound much better distorted, if you care at all about your clean tone, you won't do it (and you'll probably be using an 81/60, 81/SA/SA, or 81/SA/60 set). Your cleans really suffer under the 18v mod.

Excuse me? I have an 81/60 set and the 18v mod does wonders for the clean tone of the 81, it doesnt have as big of an effect on the 60 tho, but they both sound great with at 18 volts.
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro