Ok, I know this is probably the most frequent question asked in MT, but i'll still do it:
So, I'm in a band, two guitarists, a bass player, a singer and a drummer.
From the beginning our drummer had a really different personality than what me and the other guys had.
He's into pop, worships teachers (i don't mean being good in school is bad, but he sucks up to them 24/7) and has the most annoying, arrogant personality ever.

he's an absolutely amazing drummer, though, and is really good at the techincal stuff (recording, mixing, sound, light etc.) But it's just the fact that he always wants things his way, and hardly ever compromises, and it has become worse and worse. An example of this, is last time we recorded we wanted to capture the raw energy of the band by recording all the instruments at the same time, while he insisted on recording seperate tracks. We then settled for his idea, and it turned out really bad.

Ok, the point is that I really would like to keep him as a drummer since he's amazing, but his personality is over the top annoying. I guess a solution would be semi-firing him, and letting him kind of control the technical stuff. (our second guitarist is amazing at this too) but finding another drummer of equal quality is really hard.

I won't post the band's name, cus he's probably gonna google search it and freak out (just like he did last time our bassplayer posted something like this)

If anyone has any opinions on this, it would be greatly appreciated!

"My name is Forrest, Forrest Gump. People call me Forrest Gump"
confront him as a band and say what you feel....talk to him dont tell him else he will get the wrong idea and if he doesnt like then get rid of him
This is a MotherFxcking Invatation
hmmmm well buddy sounds like a dick.

maybe have a band meeting and gang up on him for being a massive bell end?

otherwise, REPLACEMENT
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
Ok, i think i put him in a darker light than he's really in. he can be really nice, just mixed with an arrogant know-it-all.
Thanks for replies!
I don't really see much of a problem.

Drummer is good at school, and gets along well with teachers. When you're a bit older this won't be a problem.

Drummer likes different music than you. He's playing the same music as you, so it can't be that big of a deal.

Drummer is really good at drumming, and technical things. He had a better idea for recording, and it didn't work well. If you can't record things well on seperate tracks, you're not going to be able to record 'live' any better.

You don't like drummer's personality. It really doesn't seem like his problem. Learn to accept him as he is.
Quote by giiii
Ok, I know this is probably the most frequent question asked in MT, but i'll still do it:
From the beginning our drummer had a really different personality than what me and the other guys had.
He's into pop, worships teachers (i don't mean being good in school is bad, but he sucks up to them 24/7) and has the most annoying, arrogant personality ever.

he's an absolutely amazing drummer, though, and is really good at the techincal stuff (recording, mixing, sound, light etc.)
Okay, So far I'm reading talented guy, personality conflicts. Right?

Quote by giiii
But it's just the fact that he always wants things his way, and hardly ever compromises, and it has become worse and worse. An example of this, is last time we recorded we wanted to capture the raw energy of the band by recording all the instruments at the same time, while he insisted on recording seperate tracks. We then settled for his idea, and it turned out really bad.
If there is a leader of the band, he makes the final decision. If it's a democracy, majority rules. Either the leader or the majority was swayed by his insistence. It happens, it's pretty common.

It didn't turn out well. Don't do that again. Simple, yeah?
Quote by giiii
Ok, the point is that I really would like to keep him as a drummer since he's amazing, but his personality is over the top annoying.
If you are gonna keep him, you keep his personality. Whether or not you manage to deal with his personality is another issue.

Quote by giiii
I guess a solution would be semi-firing him, and letting him kind of control the technical stuff. (our second guitarist is amazing at this too) but finding another drummer of equal quality is really hard.
Wait. You're confusing me. Before you said his drumming was great but the technical decisions he made turned out bad. Now you suggest letting him control the technical stuff. Why let him control that? mesoconfused.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Nov 14, 2009,
Quote by isaac_bandits
I don't really see much of a problem.

Drummer is good at school, and gets along well with teachers. When you're a bit older this won't be a problem.

Drummer likes different music than you. He's playing the same music as you, so it can't be that big of a deal.

Drummer is really good at drumming, and technical things. He had a better idea for recording, and it didn't work well. If you can't record things well on seperate tracks, you're not going to be able to record 'live' any better.

You don't like drummer's personality. It really doesn't seem like his problem. Learn to accept him as he is.

All us are really good at school, and that wasn't my point. But, for example, he walks up to random teachers and asks if our music 'makes sense', lets them change it how they want, and then insists on us changing it that way, even if we wouldn't like it.

The music he likes is the music he's trying to make our band play, which we don't want.

I disagree on the statement that the seperate tracks thing is easier than recording 'live' especially with cheap equipment where the tracks wouldn't really sound like a band, but just random tracks put on top of eachother.

And when it comes to the personality, the other members in the band have agreed that we don't like it.

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Wait. You're confusing me. Before you said his drumming was great but the technical decisions he made turned out bad. Now you suggest letting him control the technical stuff. Why let him control that? mesoconfused.

Yeah, what I meant was that he is very good at SOME technical stuff, and what i meant was to let him control the technical stuff the rest of the band likes that he does. This doesn't really seem like a good option, though, as it would make us look like pricks, and he would never agree on it anyway.

I understand that i sound like a whiney douchebag, but this dilemma frustrates me a bit too much
Quote by giiii

he's an absolutely amazing drummer, though, and is really good at the techincal stuff (recording, mixing, sound, light etc.) But it's just the fact that he always wants things his way, and hardly ever compromises, and it has become worse and worse. An example of this, is last time we recorded we wanted to capture the raw energy of the band by recording all the instruments at the same time, while he insisted on recording seperate tracks. We then settled for his idea, and it turned out really bad.

Ok, the point is that I really would like to keep him as a drummer since he's amazing, but his personality is over the top annoying. I guess a solution would be semi-firing him, and letting him kind of control the technical stuff. (our second guitarist is amazing at this too) but finding another drummer of equal quality is really hard.

I won't post the band's name, cus he's probably gonna google search it and freak out (just like he did last time our bassplayer posted something like this)

If anyone has any opinions on this, it would be greatly appreciated!

Semi-firing...
Ok - I just want to get this out of the way. I dont know what the actual final resoulution of your recording woas, but separate tracks are pretty much how pretty much everyone records. Few bands go live in the studio now. This may mean that you guys dont know your parts to the core- that you should be able to play them independantly with out any help- get that down. Any GOOD Engineer will tell you you need to learn it up.
Next. How is he annoying? does he make immature comments ? talk about bandmates behind thier back?

I will say never settle. You need to be satisfied. Everyone settles on someone because they are really good. But if you can't work with them you wont get shit done...
Quote by giiii
All us are really good at school, and that wasn't my point. But, for example, he walks up to random teachers and asks if our music 'makes sense', lets them change it how they want, and then insists on us changing it that way, even if we wouldn't like it.
If this is his band or songs that he wrote, you're wrong for complaining. If he is not the "leader" of the band or especially if he didn't write the songs, this is SERIOUSLY over-stepping boundaries. If that's the case, you must hold a firm line or this guy will be out of control.

Quote by giiii
The music he likes is the music he's trying to make our band play, which we don't want.
In any band there are compromises to be made. If he's willing to work with you on your stuff, you have to be open to work with him on SOME of the stuff he writes. But if he's trying to completely change the direction of the band, that simply won't work. You need to figure out what is tolerable when it comes to compromises.

Quote by giiii
I disagree on the statement that the seperate tracks thing is easier than recording 'live' especially with cheap equipment where the tracks wouldn't really sound like a band, but just random tracks put on top of eachother.
It's an art to make individual tracks sound like a band. It can be done. You guys just haven't mastered the art yet. There are a ton of advantages to doing separate tracks. Don't just dismiss the technique. There are times when you will want to do it this way. Other times a stereo "band mix" and adding overdubs will be more efficient.

Quote by giiii
And when it comes to the personality, the other members in the band have agreed that we don't like it.
Some behaviours can be modified, others are just part of the package. Figure out what you can change regarding his, and if you can live with the result.

Quote by giiii
Yeah, what I meant was that he is very good at SOME technical stuff, and what i meant was to let him control the technical stuff the rest of the band likes that he does. This doesn't really seem like a good option, though, as it would make us look like pricks, and he would never agree on it anyway.
Why would it make you look like pricks? A band functions when each member is given roles to do what works best for the band as a whole. If you don't like the result, you change the assignments or the personnel.

Quote by giiii
I understand that i sound like a whiney douchebag, but this dilemma frustrates me a bit too much
Probably one of two things is happening here.

Maybe no one else takes the initiative to guide this band and he steps in to do that. You guys don't have the balls to do it, but get bitchy cuz you don't like the way he's doing it.

Maybe he's a just control freak and oversteps his boundaries.

Or a little of both, idk.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by giiii

yup.

how about posting the track so we can tell what really went wrong?

nothin' personal, but I get the vibe that no one in your band really knows what they're doing.
Thanks for all the replies. The thing with us not knowing what we want is a bit wrong, since we do. Sorry, I'm not always fully able to express myself because of lingustic resistrictions, and maybe I'm a bit too lazy to provide all the details that do matter.

anyway, thanks for the advice, I've taken everything into consideration, and we'll work this out.

edit: someoneyouknow:
I think it's too many parts trying to take initiative to guide the band, wanting it to go into different directions, then getting bitchy.

Oh, and yeah, he is quite the control freak.

edit edit:
Quote by Highwaytohell
How is he annoying? does he make immature comments ? talk about bandmates behind thier back?

well, the other day he came up to our bass player and went 'I wonder why I ever became friends with you'

I'd call that pretty immature and stupid, and a bit over the top, especially if you still want to be in a band.
Last edited by giiii at Nov 15, 2009,
Quote by giiii
Thanks for all the replies. The thing with us not knowing what we want is a bit wrong, since we do. Sorry, I'm not always fully able to express myself because of lingustic resistrictions, and maybe I'm a bit too lazy to provide all the details that do matter.

anyway, thanks for the advice, I've taken everything into consideration, and we'll work this out.

edit: someoneyouknow:
I think it's too many parts trying to take initiative to guide the band, wanting it to go into different directions, then getting bitchy.

Oh, and yeah, he is quite the control freak.

edit edit:

well, the other day he came up to our bass player and went 'I wonder why I ever became friends with you'

I'd call that pretty immature and stupid, and a bit over the top, especially if you still want to be in a band.

Well i get the idea actually from this that you guys are actually very lazy and this guy might have a direction and a sense of need to do something musically. Despite being what sounds like a prick..
Sounds like he's got an ego problem. You all need to convene a band meeting and let him know what he's doing is not ok and completely unacceptable.

A guy I know in town had a similar problem with his band. They spent six, 10 hour days in the studio recording their LP. The next week he had to return to work, and when he came back to see the finished product, a couple guys had removed him from all but two songs and completely changed the genre. The band ended up separating.

What I'm saying is, you have to let him know you can't change the game plan without getting a consensus of the whole band. That just doesn't work out, and NEVER ends well. Bring him back down to earth and then go from there. If he acts like a douche bag when you all talk to him about it, then I would suggest finding another drummer. You'll be better off in the long run.

Because when you enjoy the people you're around, you have more fun. And when you have more fun, you make better music. I've noticed it in my band, and you'll notice it in yours (hopefully!)

Good luck, dude!
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
Tough decision..

I'd tell him what you think and if he doesn't comply then you'll have to kick him out and start a new search for a drummer. If it's affecting your music (like the recording) then maybe you really ought to.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I think we're just gonna go talk to him, since he's a one-of-a-kind drummer I really don't want to fire him. He's a huge control freak, has hardcore OCD, and only likes things when they're his way. I guess we'll try and 'cure' him from that, since, after all, it is a band, and it's about playing together as a team.

I know i sound like a douchenozzle through the internet
I was in a similar situation to this. We thought we had a one-of-a-kind drummer too. Then he quit and we found a new drummer. He's not as good of a drummer, but the chemistry is just so much better that it was completely worth it. There's pros and cons of everything, you just have to decide what's more important to you. A good drummer, or someone who's easy to deal with.
brnh.bandcamp.com