I’m currently looking for a 2x12 cabinet made by Avatar.
My amp head is a Vox Night Train.

I’ve searched around here and other sites, and I’ve compiled up a lot of different information. I’m trying to find the ideal cab that’ll last for a long while and is affordable.
So far, I have a vague idea of what I want. There’s still some big questions I have.
I plan on getting either a Vintage 30/G12H30 combo or a Hellatone 30/60 combo. (Hellatones are basically worn versions of the 30+G12H30)
I think I’ll probably get their open back.
I don’t know what model of cabinet to get.
There’s the contemporary, vintage and their traditional.
If I go for the traditional, I can grab a pretty good one used nearby.

I don’t really understand the differences I’ll get out of the speakers in the different cabs. I’m kinda leaning away from the contemporary because of the price difference.

I’m leaning heavily towards the vintage, but I’m not sure how different it will be from the traditional. I really want that more of that sound that has a lot of character with it.

I play an Italia Maranello Speedster through a Vox Night Train (don’t have a cabinet for it). My setup is pretty bright, and in my opinion, very versatile. I absolutely love the Speedster/Night Train with gain about ¾. I get a lot of compliments on the tone.

Right now I’m playing through an old cheap 4x12 Marshall I borrowed from a friend. The beast is loud, wayyy too big, and kinda bassy for my setting. I feel like the hunk really steals my tone.

I play a variety of Indie, Alt Rock, and Punk (More Ramones type stuff).
I want a cabinet where I can get good cleans and some nice warm overdrive. I want it to be good for leads, but I mainly play rhythm with my band.

Some of my favorite guitar tones would probably be from: (more lead type stuff)
“Where Is My Mind?” by the Pixies, “Abandoned Hospital Ship” by Flaming Lips, “Conventional Wisdom” by Built to Spill. “Steady As She Goes” by Raconteurs (more rhythm focused)

So, that gives you a good idea of my gear+the sound I’m looking for.
I’d love to hear what everyone has to recommend, so far as Open being the right choice or not, what model to get, and if the G12H30/V30 or Hellatone30/60 combo will be best for me- or if something out there would be better.

I also don’t know if it’s a big deal mixing the 60watt speaker with the 30 watt speaker. I guess other people do it, so it’s not a big deal. I’m pretty sure it gives me a 60 watt cabinet altogether?

I really like the community on here and would love to hear everyone's $.02
Thanks!
Last edited by zeroth at Nov 14, 2009,
Just get the Traditional. The Vintage is oversized and that lunchbox looking Night Train amp will look miniature on top of it.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
+1

I have a Traditional closed back with a G12H30 and a Classic Lead 80 for 60 watts total so you figured that part correctly. Also make sure you've got the ohms figured out too. 2-8 ohm speakers wired in series will give you 16 ohms total. 2-8 ohm speakers wired in parallel will give you 4 ohms total.

My speakers are just now starting to break in me thinks so the Hellatone option is a good one. I don't play the same kind of music that you do though.
Wow, I just thought it was as simple as 8ohms please XD
The Night can do 8/16, so I figured I'd just to 8 since it seems more heads are 8ohms. (Incase I ever switch heads)
Does this mean I want two 16ohm speakers wired parallel? Kinda confused, I thought Avatar figured that out for me XD

Thanks for the replies =]
yes 2-16's in parallel will give you 8.

I've been very happy with the guys over at Avatar but do NOT leave it up to them to figure out. I'm just saying be specific with what you want.

The cool thing about 8 ohm speakers is you can rewire for 16 or 4 down the road, where with 2-16s you are pretty much stuck at 8.

Neither option is bad, it's just preference.

Call Dave over there and talk it through with him. Great customer service.
Cool, so I'll do 8 ohms wired in a seriesXD
Thanks.
I think I'll call in the near future. I think it'll be nice having some pre-understanding.

I really appreciate it.

So far, I'm figuring: Traditional w/ Hellatone 60+30. Open back. 2- 8ohms wired in series. Black tolex w/ black grill
Quote by zeroth
Cool, so I'll do 8 ohms wired in a seriesXD
Thanks.
I think I'll call in the near future. I think it'll be nice having some pre-understanding.

I really appreciate it.

So far, I'm figuring: Traditional w/ Hellatone 60+30. Open back. 2- 8ohms wired in series. Black tolex w/ black grill

I would get the open/closed back option for 15 bucks more if you want a open back. Just having that extra option is worth it.

Excellent choice though. I like the black and silver weave cloth ma self........ drool......
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Partscaster
Bugera 6262
Jcm900 1960A
Yeah the black silver does look pretty cool =P
Now that you mentioned it, I probably will get the open/closed back option. Sounds worth it.